Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Stossel is one of the biggest tools to have ever gotten into media.
Stossel is a shameless spin-meister. I agree American students are subpar these days and that's a real problem, but this is sensationalism at its worst (ie; "look at this awful GOVERNMENT school district! Look these horrible BLACK students! Kill Govt! Privatize everything!!!")

I went to a very normal suburban public high school and most kids knew how to get down to business academically even if it wasn't their main passion in life. I even went to what I would consider nowadays to be a slightly below average junior high school in 7th and 8th grade and most of the kids I knew were at least halfway concerned about their grades. It's the parents that make the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
My friend's children went to a Catholic School many years ago. When she complained about something the teacher punished her kid for (justifiably in my opinion), they said well, if you don't like it take him out and put him in another school. We've got a waiting list to get in. They didn't have many disciplinary problems and all of the kids learned more because of it because they didn't have to put up with kid cr*p. Don't like it, take a hike.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My friend's children went to a Catholic School many years ago. When she complained about something the teacher punished her kid for (justifiably in my opinion), they said well, if you don't like it take him out and put him in another school. We've got a waiting list to get in. They didn't have many disciplinary problems and all of the kids learned more because of it because they didn't have to put up with kid cr*p. Don't like it, take a hike.
This is where private schools have the advantage. I am amazed at how much more teaching I can do now that I'm in a school where behavior problems are rare.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Stossel is a shameless spin-meister. I agree American students are subpar these days and that's a real problem, but this is sensationalism at its worst (ie; "look at this awful GOVERNMENT school district! Look these horrible BLACK students! Kill Govt! Privatize everything!!!")
I don't know enough about Stossel to agree or disagree, but this race thing is unfair. His examples of good schools had happy, achieving African-American children. If you only saw the teens chasing each other down the hall, that's your perception, not his.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I don't know enough about Stossel to agree or disagree, but this race thing is unfair. His examples of good schools had happy, achieving African-American children. If you only saw the teens chasing each other down the hall, that's your perception, not his.
Then you don't know much about Stosel or ABC. Just look at what he did with the organic food thing that he had to apologize for. This stuff is just more of the same....

Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Then you don't know much about Stosel or ABC. Just look at what he did with the organic food thing that he had to apologize for. This stuff is just more of the same....
People really need to understand how easy it is to pick and choose your "facts" and "prove" what you want to prove. It's really easy to ignore what doesn't support what you want. While he repeats that teachers are the problem in these videos, he, actually, shows no proof that teachers are the problem. He just repeats it until you believe it.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post

I went to a very normal suburban public high school and most kids knew how to get down to business academically even if it wasn't their main passion in life. I even went to what I would consider nowadays to be a slightly below average junior high school in 7th and 8th grade and most of the kids I knew were at least halfway concerned about their grades. It's the parents that make the difference.
The guy has had to apologize for his nonsense re: organic food. He mislead the audience re: one of his sources, failing to mention that the guy actually worked for one of the big agrabusiness corps who claimed that organic was no better than conventional.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Quote:
You're right. I don't. But he was accused of using race fears in this video, and he didn't. I was commenting on this particular education video, as it's the only one of his that I've seen, and the only one linked in this thread.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Face it, the """Report""" was a piece of Propaganda produced by lobbyists for their clients who want a for profit school system. It has no credibility

Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Face it, the """Report""" was a piece of Propaganda produced by lobbyists for their clients who want a for profit school system. It has no credibility
And there is BIG money to be made here for the owners of the school. The charter I worked for packed about 5 more students in each classroom (compared to my local schools) at $8500/head, and paid the teachers $10K less than districts pay new hires AND provided lousy health care AND did not contribute to a pension fund or 401K for the teachers. If you multiply this by 30 classrooms.....CA-CHING....While they did have a mortgage on the building, they will own the building and the land. I figure there was about 2.5 million in extra funds and salaries and benefits not paid. While they had a mortgage, they don't have an administration building to maintain or a school board to pay and the extra students per classroom would more than pay the mortgage on a $20M loan.

This is big business....Sadly, NONE of the savings from teacher salaries, benefits and retirements not paid goes back to the tax payer. It just goes into the owners pocket.

I know, I know, teachers are supposed to be so dedicated to their trade that we don't even THINK about filthy lucre.....

And think about this....All a charter needs to do in order to survive is to be better than the school their students would go to if they didn't go there. If you pick the right locale, that's not hard AND you can start expelling trouble makers after the fall head count day and KEEP 75% of the money attached to that child's head. Oh yeah, there's room for abuse here.

IMO, only non profit charters should be allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education