Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This article makes it clear that many extracurricular activities, and even some co curricular activities (the article mentions choir) are in danger in California.
The director of the choir program cited (Burroughs H.S.) said that his school scrapped participation fees 18 months ago and now relies on voluntary contributions and fund-raisers.

Look, I'm not defending this lawsuit, although I understand the ACLU's reasons behind filing it -- they say that such mandatory fees discriminate against families who can't afford to pay them, and that financial support should come from the state.

In no way, however, does this mean that students won't have pencils and paper because school aren't allowed to ask parents to supply them -- an outcome predicted by a previous poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
The director of the choir program cited (Burroughs H.S.) said that his school scrapped participation fees 18 months ago and now relies on voluntary contributions and fund-raisers.

Look, I'm not defending this lawsuit, although I understand the ACLU's reasons behind filing it -- they say that such mandatory fees discriminate against families who can't afford to pay them, and that financial support should come from the state.

In no way, however, does this mean that students won't have pencils and paper because school aren't allowed to ask parents to supply them -- an outcome predicted by a previous poster.
I just said it was mentioned not that it was cancelled.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
Charging fees and asking parents to write a check for their kid to participate has always been illegal. Free and appropriate education means if the school offers it, they cannot charge a fee. What happens to my kid who wants to play baseball at Fountain Valley High School in Orange County, CA, but I cannot pay or raise the $800.00 fee? I cannot find people who want to donate money in this economy. I cannot write a check for this amount either. Pre-1980, nobody paid to play. Charging fees has always been illegal.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Charging fees and asking parents to write a check for their kid to participate has always been illegal. Free and appropriate education means if the school offers it, they cannot charge a fee. What happens to my kid who wants to play baseball at Fountain Valley High School in Orange County, CA, but I cannot pay or raise the $800.00 fee? I cannot find people who want to donate money in this economy. I cannot write a check for this amount either. Pre-1980, nobody paid to play. Charging fees has always been illegal.
It seems as though many would say your kid shouldn't be able to play. He's too poor to play. Thankfully, that isn't how it works out here.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Well, as a parent who just had to say "No" to my daughter, when she wanted to belong to this exclusive dance/cheer troupe at school, and the uniforms, travel, on and on...the expenses expected were just too much. It was actually like culling the cheerleader team to daughters of only rich parents. She was chosen, because she is tall, beautiful, and could dance, but I just could not afford all the expenses. I did not fight it, I guess I could have gone to the principal and asked why only rich parents are allowed to have their daughters on the cheer team. But I just accepted it, and told my daughter she could not participate. She was okay with it, and told me only stuck up girls were on that team anyway, and she did not really care...but I think she really did....So, good for California...

Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Again, the only fees the ACLU was contesting were illegal ones -- fees for texts, workbooks, lab supplies, etc. necessary to fully access the curriculum.
The article states: Public schools throughout the state openly ignore this constitutional right by requiring students to pay fees and purchase assigned materials for academic courses and for school-sponsored extracurricular activities.

and

the nerve to ask a child to use a school copy: if Jason did not purchase the English workbook, the only way he could access a school-provided copy to complete homework assignments was by going to the school library after school

So why does the California taxpayer have to provide this kid a textbook so that he doesn't have to go the library after school? Don't these people read the paper? The state of California is broke, and it's broke because of people like this who have their hands permanently open to take more, more, more.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It seems as though many would say your kid shouldn't be able to play. He's too poor to play. Thankfully, that isn't how it works out here.
If it's a priority for your kid to play baseball, you figure out how to make it work- you cut back, you get another job. It's not anyone else's responsibility to figure out how your kid can play baseball.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, as a parent who just had to say "No" to my daughter, when she wanted to belong to this exclusive dance/cheer troupe at school, and the uniforms, travel, on and on...the expenses expected were just too much. It was actually like culling the cheerleader team to daughters of only rich parents. She was chosen, because she is tall, beautiful, and could dance, but I just could not afford all the expenses. I did not fight it, I guess I could have gone to the principal and asked why only rich parents are allowed to have their daughters on the cheer team. But I just accepted it, and told my daughter she could not participate. She was okay with it, and told me only stuck up girls were on that team anyway, and she did not really care...but I think she really did....So, good for California...
I've had to say no plenty of times when my kids wanted to participate in something that we couldn't afford. When did it become an entitlement for kids to participate in everything they wanted???/

Old 09-03-2011, 12:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Apparently, that depends on the state. Here in CO, we are charged fees for lots of things. The sports fee, when my kids were in HS, was far less than the fees for club sports. $800 is outrageous, IMO, for HS baseball. Here are the current fees for my school district.

REGISTRATION FEE
The registration fee for athletics may be paid by check or cash directly to the school. The fee is $185 for each sport. There is a family limit of $405 per year. Ice Hockey was adopted with a fee of $1,250; family cap does not apply to ice hockey.
•
If there is a financial hardship please contact the athletic director to set up payment or waiver arrangements.
•
Athletic fees are waived for students with Free or Reduced Lunch status and for financial hardship; contact the principal’s office for additional information.
•
Fees collected at Peak to Peak Charter do not apply to BVSD family cap nor do BVSD fees apply to Peak to Peak guidelines.
•
By state law, students participating in BVSD athletics but attending schools outside of BVSD schools may be charged up to 150% of the athletic fee.

http://www.bvsd.org/employees/Documents/2011-2012%20Athletics/HS%2011-12%20Athletic%20Packet.pdf (broken link)

Mod note: Govt. website

Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Ours pay some fees, but only for certain things.

Bus riders pay if they live less than two miles from the school. Fees are reduced for those with free or reduced lunch

Regular:
$64.00 per month 1 child
$74.00 per month 2 children
$84.00 per month 3+ children
Reduced Meals:
$32.00 per month 1 child
$37.00 per month 2 children
$42.00 per month 3+ children
Free Meals:
$16.00 per month 1 child
$19.00 per month 2 children
$21.00 per month 3+ children

Football appears to be the only sport with a fee
Athletic uniforms are $25 which includes t-shirt, shorts, and helmet decal.
$40 district participation fee needs to be paid when you turn in your
physical.

You would have to pay fees for the AP exams at the high school level, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education