Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't get so huffy! Lots of people repeat concepts on CD.

I was trying to tie in the college career center concept with high school. The post graduate center at my kids' HS helped kids with college, the military, and other placements. Certainly resume writing books could be included in a center like that. Most high schools have a business club of some sort that could put on workshops for job hunting as well.
Agreeing with you = Being Huffy. Thanks for letting me know.

And at the risk of being accused of additional "huffiness", I like your idea of high schools helping kids with placements in a college-like career center whether the placement is college, military or a post HS job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Agreeing with you = Being Huffy. Thanks for letting me know.

And at the risk of being accused of additional "huffiness", I like your idea of high schools helping kids with placements in a college-like career center whether the placement is college, military or a post HS job.
Sorry. I thought you were saying you'd already said that.

Glad you like my idea.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
there are classes that coudl be avoided. I went to a private school, I had a basic economics class. Thing that is crazy... still managed it with theology, year round, and added class on top of the norm.

I know music, art is important, but I think a little over emphasized. I honestly think maybe should be more like a sport, kind of extra curricular if needed. I never had an interest, weaseled my way out of them, and haven't had to deal with anything.

I also kind of on the fence about foreign languages. Seems everyone takes them but no one speaks several languages(obviously because to become fluent you need to use it)
I think gym and sports eat up a lot of space and resources with very little payback. I might make these after school activities with parents chipping in to purchase any needed equipment. For most students this is a waste.

People go to museums during their life. They may travel and use their foreign language skills, but seldom are sports needed other than lounging in front of a tv stuffing their faces and drinking.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think gym and sports eat up a lot of space and resources with very little payback. I might make these after school activities with parents chipping in to purchase any needed equipment. For most students this is a waste.

People go to museums during their life. They may travel and use their foreign language skills, but seldom are sports needed other than lounging in front of a tv stuffing their faces and drinking.
I do not know of any school districts where sports are a part of the curriculum. Physical education is a part, but that is not the same thing.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And yet these same kids who may ace science and math don't know how to do simple things like create and update a resume or fill out a rent application. They can have all the book smarts in the world but if they don't know these basic skills they won't be able to even show people how smart they are.
I teach kids who are specifically "good" at science and tech. They all have a quality resume by the time they are juniors without ever having to take an entire course in it. Really, writing a good resume can be learned in an hour on the internet.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Taught me and I use it to teach and help others with work out routines, quick "remedies for injuries" etc...

How many people attend gyms? How many people pay personal trainers to teach them stuff that most highschool kids learned and used during running, agility, and weight training? Won't say PE did a great job of that.

I bet more then people that travel and see museums.

Also afterschool activities also provide some school spirit imo... Also teach some discilpline lessons. I am not against afterschool programs raising a little more of their own money.

I played sports, and I don't watch or even follow any sports on TV, never understood the joy of watching people play sports on TV.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:10 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I teach kids who are specifically "good" at science and tech. They all have a quality resume by the time they are juniors without ever having to take an entire course in it. Really, writing a good resume can be learned in an hour on the internet.
Agreed, but I think some other "Life Lesson" stuff shoudl be taught, basic finances, resume, job etiquette, basic taxes, etc...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Agreed, but I think some other "Life Lesson" stuff shoudl be taught, basic finances, resume, job etiquette, basic taxes, etc...
We discussed this finances issue previously. Just whose values would be taught? Who is to say all teachers are good money managers and capable of teaching this? We couldn't come to agreement. Some teachers (like some of all professions, mind you) should take a course, rather than teach it.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We discussed this finances issue previously. Just whose values would be taught? Who is to say all teachers are good money managers and capable of teaching this? We couldn't come to agreement. Some teachers (like some of all professions, mind you) should take a course, rather than teach it.
The teachers can be people who have worked in HR for several different companies and have had to read tons of crappy resumes and sit through terrible job interviews.

You say they have workshops for to learn job and life skills but I simply say workshops are not enough. I see nothing wrong with spending a semester drilling these important skills into the kids' heads. It's better they learn this stuff in school then having to learn on the fly and be behind the curve in the real world.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The teachers can be people who have worked in HR for several different companies and have had to read tons of crappy resumes and sit through terrible job interviews.

You say they have workshops for to learn job and life skills but I simply say workshops are not enough. I see nothing wrong with spending a semester drilling these important skills into the kids' heads. It's better they learn this stuff in school then having to learn on the fly and be behind the curve in the real world.
What semester course do you want this to replace? The one on personal finance? The one on "how to rent an apartment"? Or chemistry, physics, math, English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education