Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if people really think that parents signing homework papers indicates any level of participation in said homework. If you have a child that has a problem turning stuff in, get in touch with that parent and make a plan. A signature or initials of someone doesn't necessarily mean anything more than a scribble on the paper. Sounds like the teacher is creating making more work for themselves by requiring this of everyone - even the ones where there is no issue. Homework is the child's responsibility - seems to me the best thing is to work with the kids/parents that HAVE a problem.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-09-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Because not all parents remember to sign it, or are around to sign it. I think it's one thing to ask that parents sign off on homework, another thing to actively punish students because their parents didn't do something. In many families it will be a case of the kid forgetting to ask mom or dad, but why penalize those kids who have more complicated situations, or who simply have more forgetful and/or flaky parents? Is it really that big of a deal? Request it, sure, but why waste time and energy enforcing punishments on the kids who don't have signatures? If the homework is done, then what's the problem?

The problem is they want parents involved in the child's education and because they are trying to educate our children that you have circumstances to your actions.

Society expects and puts in place rules that we all have to abide by, if you don't then you pay back either through paying fines, probation restrictions or even jail time.

If you don't like it then you have a right to change what they expect from you as a parent.

busta

Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
It seems too may parents are making excuses for the behavior of their children. That sets a bad example to the kids, making them think they don't have to follow the rules.

Picking up trash is not that big of a deal. As another poster said, if this is so humiliating then your daughter will make sure she is in class on time now won't she.

As a question, what other consequences should teachers have for children who don't follow the rules? So far on other posts also, every consequence is met with great resisitance from parents. They can't rap knuckles anymore, they can't have detention, a lot of the time the principal doesn't want to deal with these kids either. So what should the consequences be?

This reminds me of several years back when my daughter was in high school.

She came home one day complaining that her new teacher was to hard and expecting more work from her.

She ask me to have a talk with him and I agreed. I call him and set up a meeting along with my daughter.

When I showed up I asked my daughter what was the problem and she said that he was expecting her to work hard and that she wanted me to make him stop because it's not fair.

Her teacher was expecting me to back her up and was shocked when I told my daughter and him that he was doing a great job and I expected her to step up to the plate and stop complaining.

I also explained to my daughter that she was going to be in college in two years and professors in college are not fair so the teacher she has now is preparing her for her future education.

We look back now and laugh because she knows it was in her best interest the way I treated her.

busta

Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I did not intend to derail this thread. I was just pointing out that there are some places where children may inadvertently be penalized for their parents' actions.

Thanks for the link, reloop. It was enlightening.

I will not comment on this further.

Then put the blame it the right place, the parents.

busta

Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm just wondering if people really think that parents signing homework papers indicates any level of participation in said homework. If you have a child that has a problem turning stuff in, get in touch with that parent and make a plan. A signature or initials of someone doesn't necessarily mean anything more than a scribble on the paper. Sounds like the teacher is creating making more work for themselves by requiring this of everyone - even the ones where there is no issue. Homework is the child's responsibility - seems to me the best thing is to work with the kids/parents that HAVE a problem.
Oh, yeah? Do you have any idea how many students she has? So, you want to put all the burden on verifying if parents are involved purely on her?

In economics it is called the distribution of the cost of some regulation.
The goal is: all the parents should be aware if their children do the job. The teacher wants to shift the cost of enforcing it partly from herself to parents and children.

Parents , like the OP, do not want to bear any of this cost.
Her son does the homework, and she does not consider the fact, that there are other children who do not do so well, and who could actually benefit from that rule.
She does not see, why she should care about those other children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Because not all parents remember to sign it, or are around to sign it. I think it's one thing to ask that parents sign off on homework, another thing to actively punish students because their parents didn't do something. In many families it will be a case of the kid forgetting to ask mom or dad, but why penalize those kids who have more complicated situations, or who simply have more forgetful and/or flaky parents? Is it really that big of a deal? Request it, sure, but why waste time and energy enforcing punishments on the kids who don't have signatures? If the homework is done, then what's the problem?
Wow, it is tough to talk to you. I have just told you why. Actually twice. And you keep repeating one and the same thing.

And what is the point in requesting anything if you are not enforcing it? I give up. Have a good night!

Last edited by Dressy; 10-09-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Then put the blame it the right place, the parents.

busta
I don't think it's so much blame as it is accountability. I don't see much usefulness in pointing out the blame. I find it troublesome to hold the child accountable for the parents' actions.

I don't think I need to elaborate on that further. It's only a side bar to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education