Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:58 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times

Advertisements

Which do you think is better and why?
Does it make a difference in the age like is mixed ok in elementary and not in high school? Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 PM

178 posts, read 332,380 times
Never gone to an all girl school. In High School it might create less distraction, but if something is taken away it is only wanted more.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Which do you think is better and why?
Does it make a difference in the age like is mixed ok in elementary and not in high school? Thoughts.
Oh my goodness....the drama you could avoid by making high school single gender..

I'd like to, at least, see single gender classrooms. I'm not sure if it's relevent anymore but I remember reading some research, years ago, that found that girls fall behind in mixed math and science classrooms but hold their own if you put them in a class with all girls.

I can't remember the percentages so I'll just pick 15%. The study found that 15% of kids excel in any classroom BUT in a mixed classroom, the majority will be boys. You get the same 15% (or whatever the percentage was) excelling in single gender classrooms which means more girls excelling (and fewer boys). They threw around all kinds of theories as to why but the point is, girls aren't worse at math and science. There's something about a mixed gender classroom that holds them back.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
The research shows that single sex classrooms benefit both boys and girls. I don't know that you need to have single sex schools, but single sex classrooms within schools seem to be a good idea.

NASSPE: Research > Single-Sex vs. Coed: The Evidence

Quote:
Percentage of students scoring proficient on the FCAT

boys in coed classes: 37% scored proficient

girls in coed classes: 59% scored proficient

girls in single-sex classes: 75% scored proficient

boys in single-sex classes: 86% scored proficient.

Remember, these students were all learning the same curriculum in the same school. And, this school "mainstreams" students who are learning-disabled, or who have ADHD etc. Many of those boys who scored proficient in the all-boys classes had previously been labeled "ADHD" or "ESE" in coed classes.
Another interesting study focused on breadth of educational opportunity in single sex schools.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Cambridgeshire | 'Separate class needed for boys'

Quote:
Most of the studies comparing single-sex education with coeducation focus on grades and test scores as the parameters of interest. Before we look at those studies, we want you to consider another variable altogether: namely, breadth of educational opportunity. Girls in all-girls schools are more likely to study subjects such as advanced math, computer science, and physics. Boys in all-boys schools are more than twice as likely to study subjects such as foreign languages, art, music, and drama. Those boys might not get better grades in those subjects than comparable boys get in more gender-typical subjects. Studies which focus only on grades and test scores won't detect any difference in outcome. For more about benefits beyond grades and test scores, see the advantages for girls page and the advantages for boys page.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The research shows that single sex classrooms benefit both boys and girls. I don't know that you need to have single sex schools, but single sex classrooms within schools seem to be a good idea.

Another interesting study focused on breadth of educational opportunity in single sex schools.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Cambridgeshire | 'Separate class needed for boys'
Thanks for the information. I knew it mattered for girls but didn't realize it matters for boys too. I'm wondering if it's subject dependent. I had read that girls perform better in math and science when placed in single gender classrooms. I'm wondering if the gains for boys are in other subjects like language arts in which girls usually perform better?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Thanks for the information. I knew it mattered for girls but didn't realize it matters for boys too. I'm wondering if it's subject dependent. I had read that girls perform better in math and science when placed in single gender classrooms. I'm wondering if the gains for boys are in other subjects like language arts in which girls usually perform better?
I am pretty sure that the study does point to subject dependency and boys doing better in reading and language arts in single sex classrooms.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
I love that notion as well, of single sex classrooms, but mixed within the school. Many girls don't want to be assertive when surrounded by boys in High School. I also notice that in elementary school with the boys in writing. The girls seem to do it so much better than the boys, the boys have an 'I don't care and I'm not even going to try because its stupid' mentality. I guess that's the same mentality some of the girls get with science and math later. And girls MIGHT actually participate in PE.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Girls actually outperform boys in math all the way through high school in some big study. When they get to college, they don't choose math/science careers.

In my experience, boys are a lot more competitive and will join math competition teams, etc. Girls don't get as emotional about it, but they are more meticulous.

If they had all boys schools, I would definitely make sure not to teach there.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times
I understand everyone's point and all the studies (i have all girls gym and no one plays!) but I just feel personally social life will be affected. I find that girls are catty and guys are aggressive. I think having 2 sexes in school helps balance that out. For example, some of my best friends including my absolute best friend are guys. I have a few girl friends but guys tend to be less drama filled, all my girl friends have something going on and my guy friends are introduced to someone new they do that pound/ hug thing and are like "hey what's up " i feel like my guy friends keep me grounded fromthe stories about my friends drama! ( I never have drama)

I think it would be easier for girls and guys to get into fights being in same sex classes... With girls there's gossip and judgement, too many of the same hormones... imagine a group of emotional girls -_____- NO FUN! or hothead testosterone filled guys... yeah...

speaking from a social perspective does your view change?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
[quote=nana053;21118090]The research shows that single sex classrooms benefit both boys and girls. I don't know that you need to have single sex schools, but single sex classrooms within schools seem to be a good idea.

Good Lord! This is my district and the school is just a few miles from me, and I have never heard this happening! I passed it along to some administrators here at my school. VERY interesting!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education