Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should students be ID-ed by their grades?
Yes 8 32.00%
No 16 64.00%
Other 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times

Advertisements

Haha, I remember when I interviewed for dental school and one of my first interviews was up at Buffalo University and there were two interviewers. No lie, their first question to me was, "we see you didn't do so good on your SAT's, is that the reason why you started out at a community college?" Now, mind you, I was 28 years old, had already been in the military 6 years, finished my undergrad degree and that was their first question to me. I had fun with that question and I answered with the following: "No, that wasn't the reason at all. I actually had a date the night before (Friday night) with probably the best looking girl in my class and I wasn't about to miss out. Interviewer: Was the date worth getting a low score on the SAT? "Absolutely! And if you're going to judge me based on the SAT exam then you're in for a rude awakening." Either way I got in but didn't accept Buffalo, went to Temple instead. English and math at 8am on a Saturday morning at the age of 17, get a grip will ya! I'm so glad I started at a community college, then put myself thru 6 years of the military and then got out and put myself thru college on the GI Bill, grew up real quick and learned alot of hard lessons and wouldn't trade it for anything. By the way, I was in the dental field when I was in the air force and when it came time to interivew at Temple, I just so happen to get a former army colonel and we hit it off pretty good. That experience in the military helped me get into dental school and helped me score good on the entrance exam. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but let me tell you those supposedly "smarter students" didn't stand a chance and I smoked quite a few of them on clinicals. Amazing what happens when you close the books, now we're going to see how smart you really are and yea, trust me, we will find out. Mommy and daddy won't be around to help you either, no longer can you hide behind the word intelligent or gifted. Oh yea, you should've seen them drop. Welcome to the school of hard knocks son!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You do understand that "high achievers" "hard work" and "intelligence" are separate things? A person may be hard working and less intelligent, hard working and more intelligent, lazy and less intelligent or lazy and more intelligent. Standardized tests don't necessarily measure hard work. Doing well on standardized tests is often just that. Doing well on a test. Some people are very good at testing - regardless of actual knowledge AND some very knowledgeable people simply are poor test takers. And intelligence in and of itself is not an achievement.
Those are good points - standardized tests are not the best measure of a student's academic capability. Would you accept this practice if it applied to a student's report card instead? Or is the idea of this practice just plain wrong because it makes each student's academic achievements obvious to everyone?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I think it's wrong on a variety of levels.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Haha, I remember when I interviewed for dental school and one of my first interviews was up at Buffalo University and there were two interviewers. No lie, their first question to me was, "we see you didn't do so good on your SAT's, is that the reason why you started out at a community college?" Now, mind you, I was 28 years old, had already been in the military 6 years, finished my undergrad degree and that was their first question to me. I had fun with that question and I answered with the following: "No, that wasn't the reason at all. I actually had a date the night before (Friday night) with probably the best looking girl in my class and I wasn't about to miss out. Interviewer: Was the date worth getting a low score on the SAT? "Absolutely! And if you're going to judge me based on the SAT exam then you're in for a rude awakening." Either way I got in but didn't accept Buffalo, went to Temple instead. English and math at 8am on a Saturday morning at the age of 17, get a grip will ya! I'm so glad I started at a community college, then put myself thru 6 years of the military and then got out and put myself thru college on the GI Bill, grew up real quick and learned alot of hard lessons and wouldn't trade it for anything. By the way, I was in the dental field when I was in the air force and when it came time to interivew at Temple, I just so happen to get a former army colonel and we hit it off pretty good. That experience in the military helped me get into dental school and helped me score good on the entrance exam. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but let me tell you those supposedly "smarter students" didn't stand a chance and I smoked quite a few of them on clinicals. Amazing what happens when you close the books, now we're going to see how smart you really are and yea, trust me, we will find out. Mommy and daddy won't be around to help you either, no longer can you hide behind the word intelligent or gifted. Oh yea, you should've seen them drop. Welcome to the school of hard knocks son!

I'm glad you rejected UB. At the very best scenario, the SAT is supposed to predict the probability of you performing well at the undergraduate level. The fact that you had a BA renders that useless test irrelevant even if it was an accurate predictor as its creators claim.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Not weird. Multiple sources for information. I'm inclined to trust your findings as you have a proven track record in these things, psr. (And I was in a hurry which is death to accurate research.)
Haha. No, I look at schools' report cards all the time because they fascinate me for some reason. So, I just instantly thought to look at it.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
It is called tracking and has been around for years. Now it seems to have gone public. Is it any "worse" than posting the honor roll in the school commons area? Doesn't several car insurance compaines give "discounts" to teen drivers that have certain GPAs? There are businesses here that will give students free or discounted prices for every A or B on their report cards...why are some so appalled by recognizing academic achievement?

And if the test is NOT a reliable measure of success, why are we so concerned with STANDARDIZED tests -- AYP--and school of choice?

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-06-2011 at 03:48 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I don't think this is right at all. A test is not an absolute measure of how intelligent a child is or is not. Some kids are very intelligent but don't do well on tests.
Then how do you know they're intelligent?

I think it's a great idea. Stick hasn't been working...let's try carrot now.

I think it makes mores sense to do it with grades and not one test, however.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
It's about time we made being smart and hardworking look cool.
It's been about looks and athletics for way too long.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
[quote=lauramc27;21166238]I don't have a problem with acknowledging achievment, I do however have a problem with making one group appear superior over another. Don't our kids have a hard enough time fitting in in school, now we as adults are catagorizing them

From the article:
Students with white cards--more than half of the 2,400-strong student body--had to stand in a separate cafeteria line at lunch and received no special privileges.

A separate cafeteria line...really?

"You see a lot of condescending attitudes toward everyone without a black card," Kennedy senior Kiana Miyamoto, who has a black card, told the Orange County Register. "One [International Baccalaureate] student said in class, 'Hey, you're in IB. Anyone who has a white card shouldn't even be in IB.' It's really sad to see people who have the black cards acting this way." Students with white cards told the paper their separate lunch line was much longer than the one for better-scoring students.

Good going all you well intentioned, but misguided adults, you have now given kids more reasons to bully other kids

Honestly why can't we just let kids be kids. Why do we always have to put more pressure on them.[/quote]

Because apparently, nowadays, children are a total reflection on parents who are living vicariously through them? Just a thought.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Sports stars have always been given special privileges and recognition in school--something that makes no sense, since school should be about academics and not recreation.
Can you detail some of those privileges that sports stars get in high school? I am sure my son would love them but all he gets is an attitude from his teachers that he must be stupid because he plays sports (despite a high GPA and being in honors/AP classes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education