Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 PM

173 posts, read 354,087 times

Advertisements

Note: I am NOT here to rant on why I hate school. This lists the possible reasons why kids do NOT like going to school and to provide criticism on how to make schools better.

Here is the possible reasons why kids do not like going to school. This is not a rant why I don't like school, but this lists all the possibilities why kids hate it and what schools can do to make it better.

Also note that this is not a rant on the education, its a rant on school. This may be a rant that you may not agree with AND it does have numbers of complaining in it. So please, try not to bash me.

Let's start off with number 1.

1. Too much homework: One of the top reasons why kids hate school. Teachers gives out WAY too much homework on days or time when kids should not have homework. What sucks about this is at the kids are given homework on the weekends when they should have more free time. Teachers, if you're that eager for students to 'practice' their work then at least give them only one assignment per subject. Even high school students need their free time on the weekends. Kids don't care about their work because they feel that they are given too many work. Who cares if kids should review ALL the steps they've worked on. Kids don't need to do more than 3 pages each day because that takes all their freetime away. When students are at home, they are on their freetime. Like I said, it's okay to give out homework, but not too many.

2. Snippy Teachers: Now some teachers can be nice, some can be moderately kind, but some teachers like to go banzai everytime a student does the slightlest inappropriate thing. They seem to think that yelling at someone solves their problems even if the student did not know. No, yelling at someone does not solve your problem. It does not solve ANYONE'S problem. This is also one of the reasons why students skip classes. There are some teachers who starts snapping at them for the simplest and fixable things. Note that not ALL teachers are like this; most of them are pretty nice and hot. However, some teachers and administrators needs to be put in anger management classes because this has gone too far!

3. Stupid and unintelligent rules: Students wants to follow rules that will keep them safe and not follow any rules that are unintelligent and are unexplainably pertaining to the safety of others. I've heard of schools having rules where students are not allowed to wear shorts, rules that dictate that a student can't hug anyone, rules that does not involve the school, the district, nor the educational value. Plus, I've heard of a rule where if you are seen holding hands you will be suspends. If you are going to make a rule, at least make sure it makes sense and understandable. There should be no rule that dictate what transition period students should and should not be in their lockers. Just because its your school does not mean it should have to be like a prison.

4. Adults thinking they are more 'superior': Teachers, administrators, security officers, let me tell you something: Just because you're an adult does NOT make you more superior than the students. Sure, you're the one in charge and responsible for them. But you are NOT the student's parent. I'm sick of teachers and administrators thinking that they are the parent or guardians of all the students in their charge just because they are working through a contract. I don't get why these school officals can't take criticism given by the students. Students care about their school, so they may want to provide some criticism. Stop scolding and snapping on them JUST because they told you what you should and should not do. It's called 'criticism'. If you can criticize a student because of THEIR work and grades then students can criticize YOU because of YOUR behavior, rules, and authorities. I had a principal when I was in 7th grade that took criticism given by his students, but none of his staff and assistant principals did. Students are not at school to obey every command you give them and then not be allowed to point out the flaws and faults you have made. If you want school to be a good place to be at, then schools should take criticism. Even if they are demanding it, it's still criticism. Also, by 'demanding', I don't mean threatening.

5. Useless Subjects: If you are going to be a good academic, then at least create subjects that students need when they grow up. Some portions of Math is not needed, some portions of social studies is not needed, not even portions of history is needed. You may not agree with this, since some of you seem to like these subjects mentioned. But I hate learning some parts of Math because it's super hard. Why can't schools give us useful subjects?

Do you have any reasons why kids hate school? Post it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
4. Adults thinking they are more 'superior': Teachers, administrators, security officers, let me tell you something: Just because you're an adult does NOT make you more superior than the students.
...and a few other pearls of wisdom...including those about "useless subjects" or the blind egalitarianism you see in the teacher-student relationship.
Hmmm...

Quote:
This may be a rant that you may not agree with AND it does have numbers of complaining in it. So please, try not to bash me.
Well...you're making it very hard.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
Meh, I couldn't stand all the idiots and having to wake up early. So I dropped out and signed up for mid-afternoon College classes. It was great, no more idiots and their bs social groups and I got to sleep late

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM

143 posts, read 378,581 times
Quote:

1. Too much homework: One of the top reasons why kids hate school. Teachers gives out WAY too much homework on days or time when kids should not have homework. What sucks about this is at the kids are given homework on the weekends when they should have more free time. Teachers, if you're that eager for students to 'practice' their work then at least give them only one assignment per subject. Even high school students need their free time on the weekends. Kids don't care about their work because they feel that they are given too many work. Who cares if kids should review ALL the steps they've worked on. Kids don't need to do more than 3 pages each day because that takes all their freetime away. When students are at home, they are on their freetime. Like I said, it's okay to give out homework, but not too many.
You have no idea what 'too much homework' is if you think high schools give out too much homework. If you study a real subject in college you will find out the difference quickly.

Quote:
2. Snippy Teachers: Now some teachers can be nice, some can be moderately kind, but some teachers like to go banzai everytime a student does the slightlest inappropriate thing. They seem to think that yelling at someone solves their problems even if the student did not know. No, yelling at someone does not solve your problem. It does not solve ANYONE'S problem. This is also one of the reasons why students skip classes. There are some teachers who starts snapping at them for the simplest and fixable things. Note that not ALL teachers are like this; most of them are pretty nice and hot. However, some teachers and administrators needs to be put in anger management classes because this has gone too far!
True sometimes. Although I've noticed this is never really a problem if the student in question isn't troublesome.

Quote:

3. Stupid and unintelligent rules: Students wants to follow rules that will keep them safe and not follow any rules that are unintelligent and are unexplainably pertaining to the safety of others. I've heard of schools having rules where students are not allowed to wear shorts, rules that dictate that a student can't hug anyone, rules that does not involve the school, the district, nor the educational value. Plus, I've heard of a rule where if you are seen holding hands you will be suspends. If you are going to make a rule, at least make sure it makes sense and understandable. There should be no rule that dictate what transition period students should and should not be in their lockers. Just because its your school does not mean it should have to be like a prison.
Mostly true.

Quote:
4. Adults thinking they are more 'superior': Teachers, administrators, security officers, let me tell you something: Just because you're an adult does NOT make you more superior than the students. Sure, you're the one in charge and responsible for them. But you are NOT the student's parent. I'm sick of teachers and administrators thinking that they are the parent or guardians of all the students in their charge just because they are working through a contract. I don't get why these school officals can't take criticism given by the students. Students care about their school, so they may want to provide some criticism. Stop scolding and snapping on them JUST because they told you what you should and should not do. It's called 'criticism'. If you can criticize a student because of THEIR work and grades then students can criticize YOU because of YOUR behavior, rules, and authorities. I had a principal when I was in 7th grade that took criticism given by his students, but none of his staff and assistant principals did. Students are not at school to obey every command you give them and then not be allowed to point out the flaws and faults you have made. If you want school to be a good place to be at, then schools should take criticism. Even if they are demanding it, it's still criticism. Also, by 'demanding', I don't mean threatening.
Mostly not true.

Quote:

5. Useless Subjects: If you are going to be a good academic, then at least create subjects that students need when they grow up. Some portions of Math is not needed, some portions of social studies is not needed, not even portions of history is needed. You may not agree with this, since some of you seem to like these subjects mentioned. But I hate learning some parts of Math because it's super hard. Why can't schools give us useful subjects?

Do you have any reasons why kids hate school? Post it here.
I can't even describe how concerned the statement 'I hate learning some parts of Math because it's super hard' makes me.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,696 times
So you didn't graduate from high school? What college accepted you without a high school diploma? Did you get financial aid w/o a diploma? Or did you pay cash?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
I agree with most of what you wrote, but unless English is your second language, you need some more focused work in the language arena. But I do like your spunk!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Reminds me of when I was at school ..... many many moons ago. We were often told by teachers that it was good for us to do things we didn't like or didn't want to do. It seemed stupid then and it seems stupid now. In fact, it was a cop-out so that teachers did not have to try to explain the reason for a stupid rule.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,980 times
I am amazed that schools keep grossly obese teachers on their payrolls. At some schools, it appears that all of the teachers try to make themselves look unattractive. Looks count, especially to students that have grown up with cable TV. And what about the health insurance costs for someone, who is morbidly obese? It sets the wrong tone and a bad example.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,438 times
I think most kids just hate waking up early. I know that's what I always hated as a little kid, and I think that was the #1 complaint I always heard from others about hating school. Mean teachers would have come in second because that made me dread going as well.

Plus, kids are kids. Being forced to do something simply makes them hate something.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
Here's a novel idea for school:

Interesting curriculum
Intelligent teachers
No walls (edit: some walls, but also outdoor classrooms)
No homework
Critical thinking
Art
Music
Science
Psychology
World History, with context
Brilliant English Literature (critically acclaimed authors, intelligent discussion)
Sociology
Math taught only to those who need it/want it
Laptops galore
Field trips
Hours: 10:00-2:00, with 1/2 hour lunch break (healthy, gourmet foods on campus)
Interesting, beautiful, inspirational, colorful architecture - not prison buildings
Plenty of natural light in buildings, high ceilings
Comfortable chairs or mini-desks, circular seating arrangement
Skating Rink
Bowling Alley
Exercise room
Swimming Pool
Hot tub where literature would be discussed
Group process, daily, using consensus model
Other

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education