Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

For you Star Trek fans this reminds me of a Borg take over. Or something Stalin would institute in Soviet schools. Everyone does the same, creativity and originality in this country are slowly being killed to bring us all down to the lowest common denominator.

So if the slowest child cannot keep up, we need to slow ALL children down to their pace.

And, we can program them the way we want. That is what I am taking from this.

Teachers balk at St. Paul district's 'managed instruction' - TwinCities.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I just read this article this morning too...so let's take an already way under-performing school district and make it even worse--great idea, NOT. Now, there are some scripted lesson plans out there that are very good but they don't require you to be a robot either and they are not the ONLY way to teach, just part of the process. When our kids were in early elementary grades they had Saxon phonics and math. I LOVED those programs for the kids, but they were still only PART of the reading/math lesson for the day too, not the ONLY lesson they go.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I just read this article this morning too...so let's take an already way under-performing school district and make it even worse--great idea, NOT. Now, there are some scripted lesson plans out there that are very good but they don't require you to be a robot either and they are not the ONLY way to teach, just part of the process. When our kids were in early elementary grades they had Saxon phonics and math. I LOVED those programs for the kids, but they were still only PART of the reading/math lesson for the day too, not the ONLY lesson they go.
I think what makes America great is the differences in all of us. I hate these programs that try to make us the same.

Creativity and individuality is what we should be encouraging, not sameness.

But again, I'm not an educated person.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:03 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
This isn't new, it's been in my system for years and especially kicked in when MD instituted the High School Assessments.

"It's Dec. 16th and you should be on page ______ doing these skills. You're not? Why not? Well, yes, ________, ________ and ________ don't understand but that doesn't matter, you're behind/ahead. One bad evaluation for today. One more and you're fired"

Old 12-16-2011, 02:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
For you Star Trek fans this reminds me of a Borg take over. Or something Stalin would institute in Soviet schools. Everyone does the same, creativity and originality in this country are slowly being killed to bring us all down to the lowest common denominator.

So if the slowest child cannot keep up, we need to slow ALL children down to their pace.

And, we can program them the way we want. That is what I am taking from this.

Teachers balk at St. Paul district's 'managed instruction' - TwinCities.com
About time we started catching on. creativity and originality has been dead for over a decade...and what is the problem with education?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
NCLB. Lower the bar so that "no child is left behind".

Old 12-17-2011, 03:57 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,055 times
These scripted programs have been around since the early 80's, I do believe in reading labs, esp. since the advent of the computer. In a very few instances where some studentrs need that structure, it is beneficial, but those are the very few, and the teacher KNOWS beforehand that their will be no creativity involved for neither them nor their students.

Ken Robinson, however, has finally called out schools for ideas like this.
Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity | Video on TED.com

I know that I don't want my students to become "another brick in the wall"... and that is exactly what these programs are doing mainly due to all this damnable testing we do in this country (and are laughed at in Europe due to that fact).

Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NCLB. Lower the bar so that "no child is left behind".

Was that KIng George's intent? I didn't read where NCLB mandated LOWERING the bar. It stated ALL children should be expected to learn

Society and the schools decided lowering the bar was the way to achieve the goal of all children learning.
I belive NCLB is a great tool--it is just the way we have chosen to interpret the documant that is killing our students.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Was that KIng George's intent? I didn't read where NCLB mandated LOWERING the bar. It stated ALL children should be expected to learn

Society and the schools decided lowering the bar was the way to achieve the goal of all children learning.
I belive NCLB is a great tool--it is just the way we have chosen to interpret the documant that is killing our students.
Yes, I thought it was going to raise the bar and challenge students to learn at higher levels but it didn't work out that way.

Pass the standard tests so that schools can their federal dollars.
Carrot and stick..kids don't pass then no money for you.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, I thought it was going to raise the bar and challenge students to learn at higher levels but it didn't work out that way.

Pass the standard tests so that schools can their federal dollars.
Carrot and stick..kids don't pass then no money for you.

I guess tying money to performance is not such a great way to IMPROVE work ethics huh?
Merit pay for everyone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education