Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,693 times

Advertisements

We are considering rosetta stone for french. Has anyone used it? Experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,327 times
I bought it to help with my German. I played it to my husband who is mother tongue German speaker and he laughed. I tried it for 2 days and sent it back for a refund. I didn't learn anything in those 2 days.... It has worked for others but it wasn't a technique I could work with.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Possible... With additional help from elementary level language books. (so you can learn grammar too). EZ to get online

Not EZ as moving to France (or Belgium / region you need training). Immersion school for French is probably REALLY cheap in parts of Africa.

6 weeks of immersion seems to do it for folks in a concentrated program. (in the simpler languages)

Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
I have just found that our public library has online language learning resources for all sorts of languages. Check your public library and see what you can get for free first to see if that works.
Yes, Rosetta stone is good I have not tried it my spouse has for a job reason and he seemed to like it.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,693 times
I hadnt thought about the library. Ill check that out

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
We have dozens of audio books for foreign languages at my library, but the majority are by Pimsleur, which I think is great. Learn a new Language - Pimsleur Language Programs Our library also has Mango, Mango Languages | Learn a Language, Learn Spanish, Learn Chinese Fast which can be downloaded onto a computer for free or a smartphone. I would try either of those alternatives before paying for Rosetta Stone.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
Rosetta Stone isn't really good , one of the best method for French is French In Action. It was developed especially for French by Yale university and it is used by most adult colleges.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
It depends on your goals and learning style. DH did a level of Rosetta Stone but looked up a lot of things online to supplement it. I tried the free trial online just for fun, but it was only fun for about a minute and a half. It's the same thing, over and over and over and over and over. Click on the picture, click on the picture, click on the picture . . .

It's expensive, too.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
It's the same thing, over and over and over and over and over. Click on the picture, click on the picture, click on the picture . . .
++

It's been years since I've used it, but I didn't find it particular helpful. It was okay for learning some words, but very poor at actually teaching the language.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
Rosetta Stone isn't really good , one of the best method for French is French In Action. It was developed especially for French by Yale university and it is used by most adult colleges.
Best answer! It's free, it keeps you engaged, it's real and useful language...
and it's a lot better than Rosetta Stone with all its hype and cost.

Resource: French in Action

Clicking on "activities" will give you the text of the dialogue:
French in Action/Teachers Index Page

Absolutely excellent program. It has a Spanish cousin called "Destinos", in case anyone wants to learn Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education