Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times

Advertisements

Do you think that parents should pay for their children's books? (For kids in elementary school to high school)?

I think it's a great idea to make parents pay for their child's books. This would teach the child to take better care of their books. Kids rip pages, tear it apart, mark in them, ruining those books. And, the government has to spend money to replace the damaged books. Not to mention that the government is in a ton of debt. (Around 15 trillion dollars )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Do you think that parents should pay for their children's books? (For kids in elementary school to high school)?

I think it's a great idea to make parents pay for their child's books. This would teach the child to take better care of their books. Kids rip pages, tear it apart, mark in them, ruining those books. And, the government has to spend money to replace the damaged books. Not to mention that the government is in a ton of debt. (Around 15 trillion dollars )
First, public schools are primarily funded with tax revenue of one sort or another; I would guess that most taxpayers would prefer to see the taxes they pay go toward things like school books rather than some of the stupid crap the government wastes it on even if a few do get trashed or lost.

Second, schools are primarily funded through state and local taxes; it's our pathetic federal government that has run up a $15 trillion national debt, so that figure really isn't relevant.

Third, maybe this isn't universal, but when I was in school if I damaged or lost a book my parents DID have to pay for it.

Bottom line: some parents wouldn't be able to afford the books, so they would have to set up some system of determining who would have to pay for the books and who wouldn't which would require more bureaurocracy and government innefficiency, and you'd still have books getting lost and destroyed.

If there's a problem in your particular school district I would suggest going the the school board and pushing them to develop a solution rather than pushing it off on the federal government.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
I think students in public schools should have their books provided by the school. Every child in a public school is entitled to a free education. Required books should be provided. If students damage a book it may be appropriate to ask parents to replace it, but students should not suffer if their parents cannot afford books.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I think parents should pay for just about everything- sports, music,tutoring- that isn't part of a basic education. I think books are part of a basic education, so I would include that as a taxpayer expense. Because of improvements in technology, though, books will be going by the wayside soon anyway, though.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
No, Only if they are damanged.

My Son HS only has paper copies of book for use in the classroom, Students can check out paper copies from the library (as needed or for whole term). All the book are on the student portal, as PDF's .

But it cut the costs from getting 5000 copies of a ie( 9th grade math book ) to about 750 copies for classroom & paper loaner's

If the book is lost/damaged etc, then the student and/or parents would then need to pay for it.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
No.

It discriminates against the poor.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
in high school we (our parents) had to pay for our books and at the end of the year when you turned them in it would count towards next years books, until your Sr. year then you get that cash back.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
in high school we (our parents) had to pay for our books and at the end of the year when you turned them in it would count towards next years books, until your Sr. year then you get that cash back.
You need to clarify if this was a public or private school. When my kids were in private school, I paid for books. I did not pay in public school, nor would I have willingly done so.

Our public school system is well funded, so far, and the books are in very good condition. If one of my kids damaged their books, I would feel obligated to pay for the replacement.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
Well, I hope those textbooks don't cost even a fraction as much as college textbooks do, because there would be a hell of a lot of kids without books. So, no, unless the book is damaged.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Well, I hope those textbooks don't cost even a fraction as much as college textbooks do, because there would be a hell of a lot of kids without books. So, no, unless the book is damaged.

High school textbooks are just as expensive as college texts.

We got new Psychology books this year-$95, AP Psych was $120 a couple years ago, Chem and Bio are around $120, most Math books are $100+.

To reference an earlier post, Music and Art are considered basic education, as are sports and other extra curricular activities. Try to get an accreditation without those, or meet NCLB requirements, and you'll be reconstitution.

It just amazes me the number of people who want to squeeze the last bit of enjoyment out of school. And we wonder why kids hate going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education