Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
We don't have the NJHS at our school. I'm not sure that OP makes the case for shortchanging the boys be her example, but it is an interesting questions.

Much of the language arts and social studies curriculum seems to be formatted in a way to be quite boring to males, in the early elementary grades.
It doesn't get better in secondary school when the curriculum is filled with girly books. My son is reading Little Women this summer for summer reading. I can't think of anything more boring for a middle school boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It doesn't get better in secondary school when the curriculum is filled with girly books. My son is reading Little Women this summer for summer reading. I can't think of anything more boring for a middle school boy.
Weren't there other choices?

If he has to read something by Louisa May Alcott, perhaps he could read Under the Lilacs which is less well known, but has a better theme for a boy - circuses and running away and teaching a dog tricks.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 AM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
I saw some research stating that boys prefer non-fiction, while teachers, most of whom are women, prefer that students read stories. I know that as a child, I loved reading the encyclopedia. Why can't kids be given a choice? Biographies are wonderful reading for elementary and middle-school age kids. But Little Women for All? Yuck!!!

Our district has almost completely shied away from assigning what I consider literature in favor of topical fiction. The only exceptions that I can see are an autobiography for rising 8th-graders and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings for rising juniors. Gone is To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, and 1984, all victims of lowered standards. I guess they were just too difficult and "irrelevant".

Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Our schools tend to favor the boys pre- HS for the summer reading lists. I remember when my daughter was going into 6th grade it seemed that every book had a boy, a dog and/or a dying mother as the main characters. We figured the teachers were trying to keep the boys reading and thinking that the girls wouldn't care or at least, not complain. Once the kids get to HS, it's more classical or historical lit.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Our summer reading program for middle school here has a list of twenty books and the kids are supposed to read 4 of them over the summer and then do an online report. The books are a mix of fiction and nonfiction and are all winners of the Texas Bluebonnet award. They also seem to have a mix of books that appeal to different kinds of children

THE TEXAS BLUEBONNET COMMITTEE AND THE TEXAS LIBRARY ASSOCIATION SPONSOR THE TEXAS BLUEBONNET AWARD READING LIST FOR GRADES 3-6 SOLELY TO ENCOURAGE FREE VOLUNTARY READING.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,031 times
Nobody reads books over the summer, they go outside, and inteact with people and grow. I do not know what books. I just wented on the website to see what kind of books you was talking about. I see the title names, I remember as a kid I never really like reading those books. I see some kids did and did not. Apparently intergrating cultural, historical, and some biblical tones. I understand that adult reading would, hurt some peoples "method of thinking".

But children needs to have civics, in which they could read about current events that are neither bad or good, and know what is occuring, and love the information they recieve.

American children from my stand point, starts to apreciate their nation, at their lowest point in life. Even to love their actions in life. Whatever they are attached to the most, that will be their starting point, in terms of reading.

Or you could just throw out your televisions, and cancel your internet subscriptions, and cell phones.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I saw some research stating that boys prefer non-fiction, while teachers, most of whom are women, prefer that students read stories. I know that as a child, I loved reading the encyclopedia. Why can't kids be given a choice? Biographies are wonderful reading for elementary and middle-school age kids. But Little Women for All? Yuck!!!

Our district has almost completely shied away from assigning what I consider literature in favor of topical fiction. The only exceptions that I can see are an autobiography for rising 8th-graders and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings for rising juniors. Gone is To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, and 1984, all victims of lowered standards. I guess they were just too difficult and "irrelevant".
Strictly from my own observations boys like biographies because what was once usually taught in school, is held back from them in the early elementary grades....learning about people like George Washington or Thomas Jefferson(or insert any other male historical figure here).

We visited Washington DC not too long ago. My son had tons of questions. I answered what I could, but it did frustrate me that I knew some of what he was asking about could have been covered in school.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I agree with the language arts ; gosh it is boring for them. But social studies ; my kids ace that.
I'm not concerned about my kid acing it. In our school it wouldn't seem hard to ace a class with little substabce.

I'm much more concerned about it being taught in such a way that they find it interesting, and want to learn more as time goes on.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Weren't there other choices?

If he has to read something by Louisa May Alcott, perhaps he could read Under the Lilacs which is less well known, but has a better theme for a boy - circuses and running away and teaching a dog tricks.
Nope. 8th grade honors is Little Women. When my older son was in 9th grade he read Pride and Prejudice, another girly book.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Nobody reads books over the summer, they go outside, and inteact with people and grow.
Our kids have to read two novels, which are determined by the teachers. They have to write reports on the books and are tested on them during the first week of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education