Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm sure that many schools WOULD turn down students. That would create a pool of students that other school-businesses would cater to. It's called free enterprise.
No, it would create a pool of kids who no one wants to cater to.

It's called greed. It's called the *let them eat cake* mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, it would create a pool of kids who no one wants to cater to.

It's called greed. It's called the *let them eat cake* mentality.
No, it's called "free enterprise".

Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
It all depends on the size of the charter school. I currently work at a charter and if you look at our structure administrative vs. teachers per student, you'll notice that we have more administration than a public school. We have to, because there are certain administrative jobs that must be done no matter how large or small your school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good find!

Hardly surprising since most of these charter schools don't know squat about how to run a school.
Very true! I'm trying to leave my current school because the parent run school board hire friends instead of qualified candidates.

Quote:
I'm sure that many schools WOULD turn down students. That would create a pool of students that other school-businesses would cater to. It's called free enterprise.
Look at KIPP and Jeffrey Canada's Harlem school projects. They go into generally poor areas and create schools. But their drop out/counseled out numbers are high. They don't put up with students that refuse to make the grade.

If you want to run a school, how do you get people to join your school? Have excellent test scores. Those scores will be in the newspaper, on TV, and will be reported to the state. If your school which caters to these lower functioning students who don't care if they learn or not, you won't have any parent WANT to join your school because of low test scores. Also, you have the additional benefit of having the city/town/state take over your school for failure to make adequate yearly progress.

Colorado is a state where anyone can choose to go to any school. It is probably the most charter school friendly state in the union. I don't see ANY charter schools that have been developed just for the low students. It just doesn't pay to do so!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
It all depends on the size of the charter school. I currently work at a charter and if you look at our structure administrative vs. teachers per student, you'll notice that we have more administration than a public school. We have to, because there are certain administrative jobs that must be done no matter how large or small your school.

Very true! I'm trying to leave my current school because the parent run school board hire friends instead of qualified candidates.

Look at KIPP and Jeffrey Canada's Harlem school projects. They go into generally poor areas and create schools. But their drop out/counseled out numbers are high. They don't put up with students that refuse to make the grade.

If you want to run a school, how do you get people to join your school? Have excellent test scores. Those scores will be in the newspaper, on TV, and will be reported to the state. If your school which caters to these lower functioning students who don't care if they learn or not, you won't have any parent WANT to join your school because of low test scores. Also, you have the additional benefit of having the city/town/state take over your school for failure to make adequate yearly progress.

Colorado is a state where anyone can choose to go to any school. It is probably the most charter school friendly state in the union. I don't see ANY charter schools that have been developed just for the low students. It just doesn't pay to do so!
Not yet. Under the free enterprise schooling model, there would be schools that would appeal to all kinds of students- vocational, arts, sports, language immersion, etc. The old model of 'test scores end all be all' would be no longer. We have to let go of the old model of one size fits all that doesn't work.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
I agree with that, BUT I don't think that will happen. There are too many people that want to see just what their money is paying for, i.e. good test scores.

HOW can a school prove that it is providing an excellent education in your model?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I agree with that, BUT I don't think that will happen. There are too many people that want to see just what their money is paying for, i.e. good test scores.

HOW can a school prove that it is providing an excellent education in your model?
Well, it would depend on the parents. If I have a kid who is a fabulous tennis player, and who wants to be a tennis pro, he is truly a gifted tennis player, and we have decided to pursue that, we'll look for a school where he can spend most of his days being coached by great tennis coaches, playing on great courts, etc. He might spend minimal time in the classroom, working on a basic curriculum. He has no plans for college, he'll turn pro as soon as he can. These parent's idea of an "excellent education" would be very different than that of a family with a kid who want an immersion program in mandarin. They don't care about/don't want sports. They don't particularly care about arts, or music. All they want is for their kid to have native fluency in mandarin. Their idea of an "excellent education" is if their kid graduates and can live in China like a native. And so on.....

Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Well, it would depend on the parents. If I have a kid who is a fabulous tennis player, and who wants to be a tennis pro, he is truly a gifted tennis player, and we have decided to pursue that, we'll look for a school where he can spend most of his days being coached by great tennis coaches, playing on great courts, etc. He might spend minimal time in the classroom, working on a basic curriculum. He has no plans for college, he'll turn pro as soon as he can. These parent's idea of an "excellent education" would be very different than that of a family with a kid who want an immersion program in mandarin. They don't care about/don't want sports. They don't particularly care about arts, or music. All they want is for their kid to have native fluency in mandarin. Their idea of an "excellent education" is if their kid graduates and can live in China like a native. And so on.....
What happens if/when this tennis prodigy gets injured and can't play tennis any more? Say he's already done with this "school". This is too "pie in the sky". Everyone needs a basic education, including the arts, BTW.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Not yet. Under the free enterprise schooling model, there would be schools that would appeal to all kinds of students- vocational, arts, sports, language immersion, etc. The old model of 'test scores end all be all' would be no longer. We have to let go of the old model of one size fits all that doesn't work.
Yeah, just like college, where everybody can go to a private college if they want to! And enough people donate money to them to allow the poor to afford it!

Oh, wait... not everybody can go. And donations to colleges, while hardly insignificant, are not even close to enough for the poor to attend.

So... what happens if we try the free market system and neither the vast sums you expect folks to donate nor the plethora of schools to serve the disadvantaged appear?

What happens to your newly burgeoning underclass? How would you recommend the government respond?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
I'm not from Philadelphia but this is what appears to be taking place in that city. Philly had a reputation for having really bad public schools, which resulted in a large number of Catholic and other private schools in the area. There are now at least 80 charter schools in the city. If you look at the list of names, Schools - The School District of Philadelphia
you can see that many are advertising a distinct focus. They have schools named Architecture and Design Charter, Folk Arts Cultural Treasures Charter School, Harambee Institute of Science Technology Charter School, Mathematics, Science, and Technology Community Charter School, Philadelphia Electrical and Technology Charter School, and Philadelphia Performing Arts Charter School to name a few. A few such as Imhotep Charter School and Communications Tech have become boys' basketball powerhouses.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What happens if/when this tennis prodigy gets injured and can't play tennis any more? Say he's already done with this "school". This is too "pie in the sky". Everyone needs a basic education, including the arts, BTW.
That's HIS/HER problem. Not mine, not yours. Whatever happened in this country to the idea that we are all responsible for ourselves? That we each have the right and obligation to make informed choices and live with the consequences? The nanny state is running our lives.

Not every child NEEDS the same education....and you have no right to dictate to anyone but yourself and your children what kind of education EVERYONE should have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education