Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times

Advertisements

From starters, I assume the answer to this question will be "no" (he is in public school).

But just in case there is any way in which we could go to the principle and ask for our son to be placed in another class - in the most non-offensive and non-threatening manner possible, we would want to know about this possibility.

Our son just started 1st grade and all I can say is that we are not terribly excited about the teacher he has and the class he is in. I don't want to bore anyone with the specific, rationally explainable reasons behind this disappointment with his placement, but my instincts simply say (actually they kind of scream) that this teacher and the class he is in will NOT be in his best interest this year.
We were very pleased with his K teacher last year but this year he seems to have had less luck.

Any way his placement could be changed after the school year started?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:45 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Syracusa,

My answer is "doubtful", short of actual allegations of abuse of your child by the teacher. In my district, we have an unwritten policy of being able to "negative request" a teacher for the next year if an older sibling had a bad experience with a certain teacher, but that would have to be submitted at the end of the school year before the next year's class lists are drawn.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Syracusa,

My answer is "doubtful", short of actual allegations of abuse of your child by the teacher. In my district, we have an unwritten policy of being able to "negative request" a teacher for the next year if an older sibling had a bad experience with a certain teacher, but that would have to be submitted at the end of the school year before the next year's class lists are drawn.
I thought so, thank you.

Besides, it would be hard to come up with an official, sell-able argument based on "vibes" and all sorts of deductions and extrapolations.
But my "vibes" and "instincts" have never failed me. :-(

Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I thought so, thank you.

Besides, it would be hard to come up with an official, sell-able argument based on "vibes" and all sorts of deductions and extrapolations.
It is also often the word of a 6 or 7 year old against a protected "professional". If your little one comes home with upsetting tales of woe, my advice is to pack a tape recorder on him. You do need real evidence of "harm" in order for a school to switch teachers.

In a very different situation, when my daughter was in Middle School, her Technology teacher made inappropriate sexual comments to her. Believe you me, as soon as we contacted the school, they switched her into the other Tech teacher's class, faster than a NY minute!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM

24 posts, read 32,056 times
Yes, it is possible. Speak to the principle and give a reasonable explanation. In my school district it does happen. When my daughter was in the 3rd grade I did not like the way the teacher practiced. It wasn't a good fit for my child. We were able to make change that was comfortable for her. It was the best thing I could have done. For her and for us(the parents).

Don't wait to long though. Good Luck

Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I thought so, thank you.

I would approach it as your duty...You are the child's parent. It is not unheard of to change teachers, follow your gut instincts. You pay their salaries. You might consult his previous teacher for a recommendation for who's classroom would best fit his learning style and personality.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Okay, I hate to be the grammar guru, but this is a pet peeve of mine .......

The Principal is your Pal.

Principles are your beliefs and standards.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Every school has different rules about this. In some cases it is possible to change teachers.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Okay, I hate to be the grammar guru, but this is a pet peeve of mine .......

The Principal is your Pal.

Principles are your beliefs and standards.
Ummm, I think you meant "spelling guru"?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Syracusa,

Perhaps you could begin the dialogue by asking why he was placed in that particular class and take it from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education