Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,449,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Maybe he just doesn't like to read for PLEASURE. Maybe he just reads for INFORMATION. That's what most engineers and scientists do.

Honestly, what is meaningful to you is not nearly as important as what is meaningful to HIM. You've had your day...it's his turn.
Yeah. His turn without my help would be no turn at all. As a mother - I know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,331,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Yeah. His turn without my help would be no turn at all. As a mother - I know that.
Are you planning to follow him down the hall for grades 1-12? College? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious. What if this is just WHO HE IS? Disorganized, uncaring, flighty? What will you do about it?

Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
OT but, look on the other side of the aisle. Bottom row. Round box with a white-haired guy wearing a pilgrim's hat. It's called oatmeal.

Life is like a box of oatmeal. Sometimes the best things are on the bottom row. They are there but they take some effort to find. Same as finding what will spark your son's interests. He's not the Sugar Smacks being devoured by the masses. He's the Quaker Oatmeal waiting for you to say, "There you are!"
This is not about wholesome choices not being available. It is about taking advantage of people's vulnerabilities, the kind that we all have and that will push the vast majority of us to opt for bad choices iinstead.

Keep people tired enough, superficial enough, uneducated enough, hurried enough, take advantage of their vulnerabilities (adhd is one of them) and they will always pick the colorful junk over the hard to digest, obscure "good choices".

This is about freedom from junk. Not about freedom to climb the highest mountain, defeat the craziest odds, reach in the weirdest of places ...so I can get a box of oatmeal. Oatmeal is food. Sugary colorful balls is not.
A book written in articulate, complex, nuanced language is education. Uber Colorful cartoons going at a pace of 1000 miles an hour, with incredibly abrupt noises and all sorts of crazy stimuli - is not.

And yet, most people will reach for the junk when the junk is pervasive.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Are you planning to follow him down the hall for grades 1-12? College? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious. What if this is just WHO HE IS? Disorganized, uncaring, flighty? What will you do about it?
This is for him to decide later. Not in 1st grade. I owe him a good take off. He has not reached the end of the runway yet.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,930,526 times
Quote:
What year do you live in, mama bear ?

There, where? Exactly where else should i be? Where Is that society Today where kids have no other choices but be physically active outside or read?

Caught ya.
Why do your kids have no other choices besides being physically active outside or reading? There are lots of other things they can do. I know my kids loved being outdoors when they were little but there are other things they could have done.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:05 PM

13,472 posts, read 9,982,834 times
Quote:
It's more than that. He is way above average in fidgetiness, losing things, dazing off, not paying attention, not being willing to concentrate for longer periods of time on things that require mental effort, etc.

He is the kind of child you need to "stay on top of". All of his teachers so far confirmed it. Because I have done just so in the past, he is doing very well in school. Well, so far. MWill he continue to do so when I no longer do the close "staying on top"?. His teacher said "good question".

Sorry about the typos but it is the amazing iPad. Can't type on the darn thing to save my life.
Well, seeing as you detest it so much, why don't you browse the bookstore with your son and see if it inspires him to read for pleasure? Then you'll get some good use out of it, at the very least.

If he's got ADHD issues, maybe the interactiveness of it will provide the bit extra fun he needs to read for the sake of it.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,331,044 times
Quote:
This is for him to decide later. Not in 1st grade. I owe him a good take off. He has not reached the end of the runway yet.
You HAVE given him a good take off. You've provided an intellectually stimulating environment. You've made clear your expectations and provided the tools to fulfill them. HE has to take the next step. You are very close to treading the line to encouraging some passive-aggressive tendencies that will define your relationship forever. I speak as a teacher and a parent of a 20 something.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
It's more than that. He is way above average in fidgetiness, losing things, dazing off, not paying attention, not being willing to concentrate for longer periods of time on things that require mental effort, etc.

He is the kind of child you need to "stay on top of". All of his teachers so far confirmed it. Because I have done just so in the past, he is doing very well in school. Well, so far. MWill he continue to do so when I no longer do the close "staying on top"?. His teacher said "good question".

Sorry about the typos but it is the amazing iPad. Can't type on the darn thing to save my life.
He's 7. That alone is enough to explain a lack of interest in reading. He has ADHD, and has trouble sitting still. Of course he doesn't want to sit down and read! My God woman, what is it you want us to say? It is crystal clear and it is not a bog deal. he. is. 7. Take him to the library and let him pick out books. Read them to him. The rest will follow.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
Zimbo, children's lit started with black and white small print and one small black and white pic every 30 pages. No, the tons of hard cover books with eye burning colors...that kind of "literature" wasn't available.
Sorry, that's just not true. Beautifully illustrated books is one of my passions, and I'm not talking computerized graphics. There are thousands of beautifully illustrated childrens books, and as you will see, they date back over the last century

Let me google that for you

Quote:
The way I grew up was far from perfect, but it sure was a much more favorable environment to reading than what my kids grow up in today. This is not up for debate, my dear forum fellow.
Umm, yes it is very much up for debate. Take as an example the Percy Jackson series of books. My son inhales them, which inspires him to read up on Greek mythology. The Lord of the Rings movies inspired him to read all of the books, and then The Hobbit. And so on, and so forth.

The bottom line is you cannot generalize about an entire generation based on the fact that your son does not care to read for pleasure. My son is an avid reader. My daughter is not. Your son is not. You are going to have to accept it.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 09-15-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sorry, that's just not true. Beautifully illustrated books is one of my passions, and I'm not talking computerized graphics. There are thousands of beautifully illustrated childrens books, and as you will see, they date back over the last century

Let me google that for you

Umm, yes it is very much up for debate. Take as an example the Percy Jackson series of books. My son inhales them, which inspires him to read up on Greek mythology. The Lord of the Rings movies inspired him to read all of the books, and then The Hobbit. And so on, and so forth.

The bottom line is you cannot generalize an entire generation based on the fact that your son does not care to read for pleasure. My son is an avid reader. My daughter is not. Your son is not. You are going to have to accept it.
... or he will become one later. I didn't read for pleasure until I was a teen. Then I stopped until a couple years ago. Now I love reading again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education