Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
-cut for length-
I'm trying to think of reasons why some schools have such problems with this and some don't. Does your school have hall monitors? Schools in my district have always had at least a couple hall monitors wandering around. Often they are vice principals (I've always wondered why those people get paid so much when they spend hours every day as hall monitors...but I digress) and students take VPs pretty seriously. Where on earth were the kids going? If they were going in groups, they would chat with each other and get caught for being loud. I just can't imagine that many kids getting away with bad behavior!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
I think Mr. Wallace has told us the solution.

Have a fairly liberal policy. If it is abused, tell the parents their child seems to have a urinary tract or bowel problem and needs to see a doctor. Be sure the parent explains the procedures called "cystoscopy" and "colonoscopy" to the child. <insert evil grin here>

These are the same kids who can guzzle soft drinks and play video games for hours or sit through a two hour movie.

Seriously, I do not remember this being a problem when I was in school. I graduated from high school in 1966. It has been too long for me to remember how long we had between classes, but I do not remember not having enough time to go. I certainly do not ever remember class being disrupted by classmates asking to be excused. I do not think human physiology has changed in the last 46 years.

Younger kids should be given the benefit of the doubt. By the time the student is in high school, it should not be necessary to miss class except for a problem related to an illness, at which point the child should go home.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I think this is insane, even to be discussed. Shouldn't kids have control over their own bodies?

Shock....why don't schools make it easy on themselves and put a bathroom in the back of class. It seems like that would save a lot of aggrevation. (Sarcasm).....but, that's too logical and simple. It seems like the system is always trying to make things complicated.

-The idea of a 17 or 18 year old having to ask for the bathroom is nuts. Can't you join the army at 18? That's kind of a strange irony.

I think its kind of scary the assumed control schools have over kids. Almost prison like. Gotta sit here. Gotta stay here (even if you have to go to the bathroom?). Bells, etc.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think this is insane, even to be discussed. Shouldn't kids have control over their own bodies?

Shock....why don't schools make it easy on themselves and put a bathroom in the back of class. It seems like that would save a lot of aggrevation. (Sarcasm).....but, that's too logical and simple. It seems like the system is always trying to make things complicated.

-The idea of a 17 or 18 year old having to ask for the bathroom is nuts. Can't you join the army at 18? That's kind of a strange irony.

I think its kind of scary the assumed control schools have over kids. Almost prison like. Gotta sit here. Gotta stay here (even if you have to go to the bathroom?). Bells, etc.
Do you think the Army will let you drop out of formation to go pee whenever you want to?

You must not pay any taxes if you think a bathroom in each classroom is the solution.

Kids should have control over their own bodies by the time they are in high school, including the control to go between classes. If there are truly not enough restrooms and truly not enough time during change of classes, then that is a system wide issue that needs to be addressed.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you think the Army will let you drop out of formation to go pee whenever you want to?

You must not pay any taxes if you think a bathroom in each classroom is the solution.

Kids should have control over their own bodies by the time they are in high school, including the control to go between classes. If there are truly not enough restrooms and truly not enough time during change of classes, then that is a system wide issue that needs to be addressed.
If kids are mature enough to sign up for the army....aren't they mature enough to go to the bathroom on their own?

-Of course it'll be budget issues with a bathroom in every class. School is always a black hole of finances. I think many schools are totally outdated design wise, but thats another thread.

College sure is a breath of fresh air in terms of being your own person.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
If kids are mature enough to sign up for the army....aren't they mature enough to go to the bathroom on their own?

-Of course it'll be budget issues with a bathroom in every class. School is always a black hole of finances. I think many schools are totally outdated design wise, but thats another thread.

My point was that needing to go to the bathroom will probably not be an excuse for being late to report for duty when you are in the military.

Adults generally plan bathroom breaks around their work schedule, not the other way around.

The real problem appears to be kids goofing off, not actually really needing to go or not having enough time to go.

My most recent educational experiences have been continuing education courses, some of which ran for eight hours with a break for lunch and a mid morning and mid afternoon break. Could people leave during the presentations? Yes. Did most people do that? No, because they did not want to miss any of the information. The opportunities to use the rest rooms were frequent enough that most people did not need to leave until a break.

The questions that schools need to answer are whether there are enough facilities and whether breaks in the schedule are frequent enough for the kids to do their business. If the breaks are not adequate, the schedule needs to be adjusted, even if it makes the day longer.

If the kids are just goofing off, tell their parents.

Have any of the teachers here asked their students who do not ask to leave the classroom whether there is an actual problem with not enough time during breaks to go to the bathroom? Are there some kids who just try to hold it all day long?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

And you know what's funny..in college they all seem to be able to sit through 50 minute classes.
When, just a few months earlier, 50% of the class couldn't sit for 40 minutes without having to go to the bathroom.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
I thought of this thread today. I had 7 requests to use the bathroom within the first 20 minutes of one class today. Time for a new rule. My class is not called "Use the bathroom".

I hate to limit passes but I have no choice. I told them, today, there will be no more than 3 bathroom passes given in any one hour. Of course that was met with cries of UNFAIR.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you know what's funny..in college they all seem to be able to sit through 50 minute classes.
When, just a few months earlier, 50% of the class couldn't sit for 40 minutes without having to go to the bathroom.
Most of the time, it's just an excuse to get out of the room.

There are times when I don't mind, such as when they're working in groups as long as they're quick about it but I have days like today where I'm several minutes into the class and we haven't started anything yet because I've been writing bathroom passes. This is coming to a screeching halt.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think Mr. Wallace has told us the solution.

Have a fairly liberal policy. If it is abused, tell the parents their child seems to have a urinary tract or bowel problem and needs to see a doctor. Be sure the parent explains the procedures called "cystoscopy" and "colonoscopy" to the child. <insert evil grin here>

These are the same kids who can guzzle soft drinks and play video games for hours or sit through a two hour movie.

Seriously, I do not remember this being a problem when I was in school. I graduated from high school in 1966. It has been too long for me to remember how long we had between classes, but I do not remember not having enough time to go. I certainly do not ever remember class being disrupted by classmates asking to be excused. I do not think human physiology has changed in the last 46 years.

Younger kids should be given the benefit of the doubt. By the time the student is in high school, it should not be necessary to miss class except for a problem related to an illness, at which point the child should go home.
The world before Columbine, mass lawsuits, and deterioration of family support was a different world. Kid's need to be accounted for and supervised at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education