Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM

125 posts, read 578,791 times

Advertisements

If you were to say, strive to be the Creative Director or Manager of New Product Development for a Tour Company (creating the tour packages to destinations all over the world), Desitination Marketing Company, etc. what would be the most helpful major?

International Studies? International Finance? Marketing? Tourism isn't really a major, its more of a certificate program.......who knows????? all advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,305 times
Default Indirect Employment Creates Prduct 'leads'

Dear Friend:

In a past 'op' or two, I have suggested employment in a large city Consulate. Since you may not have read those threads, I will repeat the suggestion, here.
As a multi-linquist and perhaps with political science degree - - obtain employment in some Consulate. Either here in the U.S. or a country of your choice.
Master at least three speaking languages such as English, French and Italian. But you make the choice. Then after your college degree(s), then offer your services to a Consulate - - (perhaps willing to even take less remuneration) - - basically to obtain an experience of what is 'hip' in our current world of economics. While you are employed in that Consulate, then start developing your international product ideas to form your own company.
Obviously, obtaining experience such as a Consulate employee is worth a gold ransom to YOU.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
If you were to say, strive to be the Creative Director or Manager of New Product Development for a Tour Company (creating the tour packages to destinations all over the world), Desitination Marketing Company, etc. what would be the most helpful major?

International Studies? International Finance? Marketing? Tourism isn't really a major, its more of a certificate program.......who knows????? all advice appreciated.
I am majoring in a Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management. Job that you described is "in" my major...GOOD LUCK.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Travel and Tourism is a major at some universities. If that isn't an option, I would contact people with your "dream job" to see how it was achieved.
My friend did a travel and tourism major (and maybe also geography?) and now she is an event planner than travels all over the world at her companies expense.... a pretty great job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education