Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Well, the opposite does seem to be the fear.

Kinda like Violet Beauregarde from the original Willy Wonka.

The country is nothing more than a bunch of complainers. They complain the teachers aren't engaged enough, and once they do something everyone has to whine and cry about it. Seriously? A big mac is a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The country is nothing more than a bunch of complainers. They complain the teachers aren't engaged enough, and once they do something everyone has to whine and cry about it. Seriously? A big mac is a problem?
My original argument was the OP's a bit of a busybody if the parents are ok with it. But I can see her point a bit. Just poking a bit of fun.

I still remember eating my first big mac btw, lol. I was 7 and argued I was big enough to eat it and wouldn't waste any of it. My dad relented. Dad was raised by a dust bowl evacuee and was raised not to waste anything on his plate, and he'd better eat those vegetables.

And I had a delicious Colorado Grill burger last night after seeing The Hobbit.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
My original argument was the OP's a bit of a busybody if the parents are ok with it. But I can see her point a bit. Just poking a bit of fun.

I still remember eating my first big mac btw, lol. I was 7 and argued I was big enough to eat it and wouldn't waste any of it. My dad relented. Dad was raised by a dust bowl evacuee and was raised not to waste anything on his plate, and he'd better eat those vegetables.

And I had a delicious Colorado Grill burger last night after seeing The Hobbit.

I ate my first big mac about 2 months ago, and I'm 25. I was always afraid to try it, don't know why

Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Since when would you reward kids with broccoli? They'd fail on purpose.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
A teacher at my dear stepson's school recently "rewarded" students (11-12 year-olds) by buying them Big Macs.

I am a teacher, so I know what it is like to deal with helicopter parents. I don't want to be "that" parent. However, this is really bothering me. Dear stepson is overweight, bordering on obese, and he gets teased for being fat. School is aware of this. Last year, child asked for a conference, because he wanted to discuss how unhappy he was at school.

I try to stress good eating habits and exercise, but I am fighting a losing battle. His parents do not think it is a problem, and I guess now, neither does one of his primary teachers. Help me understand why a teacher would bring a Big Mac to a kid with a weight problem, or any kid for that matter.
Even if a kid is overweight, a Big Mac used as a reward won't kill them. It's when the Big Mac becomes a 2x-3x-4x a week replacement for a decent meal that it becomes an issue. The teacher probably didn't think/know it would be such an issue/offense, and that it would maybe make a decent reward for doing well on a test or having a perfect record for homework assignments or attendance for a semester.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM

121 posts, read 301,800 times
When i went to school at this age. My teacher had to get permission to give us any food or drinks that were not supervised by the school.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I ate my first big mac about 2 months ago, and I'm 25. I was always afraid to try it, don't know why
Ahh. I play tennis competitively and the occasional big mac hasn't slowed me down on the court. If they do, I may eat less, but I'm not hurting from them myself.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM

10 posts, read 9,286 times
Because fat kids want a Big Mac???? Does that mean skinny kids want carrots????
Put fatty on tread mill and offer other incentives as why he's fat anyway are parents fattys? If so kid will be fat maybe not today but soon.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM

10 posts, read 9,286 times
By the way I had non boobs and a big nose in school. I never got a bloody meeting about it it just cost 20g in surgerys and two bad marriages and on going therapy. So what is the big deal?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
From my childhood experience, I would assume the teacher wouldn't be paying for 20+ big macs, so the child is likely only one of a handful (at most) being rewarded for good behaviour. For example, when I was in 5th grade, every term (6 weeks) the teacher would do something like take out the kids with good behaviour for yogurt or something, ... I think it was typically 3 students out of a class of about 30.

Personally, my oldest daughter wasn't getting junk food rewards in elementary school (she's only in 1st now). However, I was worried in preschool before when she got hard candy for her 4th birthday (assistant teacher was obviously trying to be nice & everything, but it's a possible choking hazard at that age); Previously, wifey gave hard candy to the daughter before when she was like 3 and she almost choked because she just swallowed it. The preschool always gave stuff like skittles, etc. as a reward, while not healthy, obviously a motivator for the young kids and not something high up on my list to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education