Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times

Advertisements

I could not decide whether or not to put this in the Education forum or this forum?

Well, here's hoping. Two questions I hope someone can help with. Our DD, age 10, has an IEP in place due to a diagnosis of emotional disturbance (no LDs). Right before Christmas her regular teacher suddenly quit and they brought in a substitute. The sub is still there and I guess she is considered a long-term sub.

We had some conflicts when she first arrived because she made a lot of changes compared to the previous teacher and DD immediately resisted, started refusing to work, etc. We had a discussion with the sub who told us she had no idea about our DD's IEP and that as a sub she was not "allowed" to see that information. So we have tried to give her basic info but is that correct? Shouldn't she be given information about accommodations and info on her Behavior Intervention Plan? For example, DD is allowed to request one on one testing for the upcoming standardized test. I am betting the teacher doesn't know that and DD at age 10, taking her first standardized test is not going to mention this. Things have improved somewhat but not entirely with regard to how DD and this teacher interact.

The whole idea that she would not be allowed access to information that will clearly help our DD is odd.

Another thing; part of the plan mentions that she will receive counseling at school for 30 minutes a week. Well, since this was completed, the school psychologist is no longer working there and they have not replaced him with another LSSP so who would be considered qualified to provide counseling? How would we find that out? She had a good rapport with the previous school psych, but if there is no one currently employed by the school who has qualifications to provide her with counseling then we'd rather she not see anyone there rather than someone who doesn't have proper credentials.

By the way, this is a charter school, very small. She has only had the IEP in place since the beginning of this year so we are still working on what works for her but if the staff was not changing so often it would be easier for sure! (this current teacher is her third teacher for the year!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Since this thread deals so specifically with internal school admin and teaching issues I am moving this thread to the Education forum in the hopes that it will be more on topic there.

Last edited by springfieldva; 04-02-2013 at 03:56 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Since this thread deals so specifically with internal school admin and teaching issues I am moving this thread to the Education forum in the hopes that it will be more on topic there.
Thanks, I was confused as to which was best!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Any teacher needs to be adhering to the guidelines set forth by an IEP. Talk to the director of Special Education/whoever is the case manager for her IEP, and/or request to convene a meeting of the IEP team immediately. Note that the IEP is not being adhered to, because the instructor does not know what is in it. Regarding the lack of personnel to perform the duties outlined in the IEP, if it's a public charter, the school is obligated to meet the agreed upon terms of the IEP, even if they have to contract for services they aren't able to provide themselves in-house. If it is a private school, it may not be a good fit if it cannot offer the services she needs.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
As a sub I am not privy to any IEP or any other student plan because of the privacy issues.
And teachers are only supposed to have access to IEPs and other documentation for their students they they teach.
Last year I ended up in a long term sub position and was given some paperwork on students. I had been subbing for this class for nearly a month before taking the LT position and until then just had an inkling of who was on an IEP.
I was surprised to read some of the actions I was supposed to have been doing but wasn't because I wasn't aware of them.

The privacy laws regarding student IEPs are too limiting IMHO because anyone who teaches a child on an IEP whether they are the teacher or a sub needs to know what they are supposed to be doing.

But the law is the law and many hands are tied.

Your daughter's teacher may or may not be in a long term sub position.
You might want to call the school to clarify and ask that this teacher be given a copy of the IEP to read.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
In my district, we are required to let the subs know where the IEP's, health alerts, and 504 plans are and the subs are required to read them. I was under the impression that these are legal documents and must be followed by the adult in charge, regardless of whether the person is a sub.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,188 times
I don't really know the answers to your questions, but the school has to adhere to the Individuals with Disabilities Act: IDEA, along with a privacy law called FERPA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_...nd_Privacy_Act). You might find the answers on that IDEA website. You can also contact the US Dept of Education, as they can tell you what the school needs to be doing, and they are also who you would contact if the school is not complying: http://idea.ed.gov/explore/home

Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Any teacher needs to be adhering to the guidelines set forth by an IEP. Talk to the director of Special Education/whoever is the case manager for her IEP, and/or request to convene a meeting of the IEP team immediately. Note that the IEP is not being adhered to, because the instructor does not know what is in it. Regarding the lack of personnel to perform the duties outlined in the IEP, if it's a public charter, the school is obligated to meet the agreed upon terms of the IEP, even if they have to contract for services they aren't able to provide themselves in-house. If it is a private school, it may not be a good fit if it cannot offer the services she needs.
Great advise!

Go right to school to meet with the SpEd teacher/director. It is not up to your child to remind the standardized tester of her accommodations. Those accommodations must be provided for her. The delineated weekly counseling must be provided.

Sally, you are entitled to a copy of the IEP & may share info accordingly.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM

A sub can also be privy to particular required-by-law accommodations and modifications without having full access to the complete IEP. The entire point of setting up modifications and accommodations is so that they are used to facilitate learning. They're not optional.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Also, a parent can have the people of his/her choosing at an IEP meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education