Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM

298 posts, read 332,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
They didn't just walk into the classroom and start having sex one day. It began with hanging out and parties, a relationship that did not respect the boundaries that exist between teacher and student to keep them from trying to act like peers, which they are not.

SO in the position you describe in your idea, if you are an adult insinuating yourself into the lives of middle-school students, who are 12- through 14-year-olds, in order to collect information they told you because they trusted you that you then would use to teach them ... how to act like an adult ...

It's a complete and total violation of trust and boundaries, sort of a personal interaction double-whammy.

In other words, it's exactly how NOT to teach someone how to interact.

How old are you? Also, is English your first language?

But it's not fair to simply ASSUME that because you act like peers, that means you want to screw them.

That's such a ridiculous thing to do. If you are waiting on line for lunch in a store and talk to the person next to you, do you automatically assume that you want to screw that person? Of course not!

So why would you make the assumption here?

Isn't teaching them how to act like an adult the point of all of those other programs? Why is it a bad thing in this case?

But there's no real reason to use boundaries. They just seem to exist as a way to make capable teachers out of people who might not be capable without them in order to allow the country to have enough teachers. That does not mean that outstanding individuals should have their potential constrained by them.

And yeah, English is my first language. What made you think it was not?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
As professionals it is often as important to avoid the "appearance of impropriety" as impropriety itself.

I'm still waiting to hear about your educational background.

So if you appear to steal something, it is the same thing as actually having stole the item?

Of course not!

And I don't really consider a teacher a professional, unless they are teaching graduate school level material.

Would my idea work then if we just did not call me a professional?

If anything, I would rather not be referred to as a professional. I think it's too elitist and imposing for the student.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
No.

See my previous comments.

Grow up. Finish school. Look for a real job.

Really.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Oooh...I'm guessing I'm more right than not.

Please share your age, educational background and current employment. What qualifies you to do this job?

I'm in my 20s. Never went to graduate school because there was nothing I wanted to put 40 hours a week into studying for just one subject, but I did graduate college.

Never took any educational classes. Actually was told I was too advanced for the basic education class when I tried to apply and that barred me from taking anything in the field.

I am setting up a few companies locally. I figure that could give me added extra trust to the faculty because if I were to hypothetically try to hurt a child, it would crush my business, since they are local based businesses. You could call that collateral.

So if they don't believe I truly care, they can look at it from a purely money angle if they wish.

I figure that by getting to know each child so well, when they graduate from the middle school, I can employ the best ones as personal research assistants and employ some others as base level positions in my companies. That would also give the students extra motivation to behave and be truthful, since I do not employ liars.

The goal is to train them well enough so that, ten years out in the future, I'd entrust them with the start-up money to build another branch of one of my companies in whatever town they decide to attend college in. In exchange for that lack of risk for opportunity, I will take 20% of their profits. And since I fully trust them since I would have known them well for 3 years, have a strong grasp of their morals, and had them employed part-time for 4 years, I will have a pretty good conviction that they will be successful, so I can afford to pay all of their start-up fees. And if I am fairly confident that they will also be successful, then I can recoup the lost $200,000 per year I should have been earning since the district will likely only be able to pay me a much smaller salary. But it also works out for the school district because they got a much higher valued service at a steep discount.

And so this type of position will allow me to grow my companies long-term by developing trust within people to place in such important positions and give me confidence to allocate such large sums of money to other affiliate owners. Obviously, it would not be possible to run dozens of affiliates on my own. And it also, simultaneously, solves a major problem that most school systems face today.

In terms of what qualifies me to do this job, I just tend to transcend the adult/child distinctions. I never worry about whether I'm supposed to be involved in it. If a child needs my help, I always want to listen! Who cares what everyone else thinks?

You know in the cafeteria when the teachers and students keep to themselves at tables? If I saw a cluster of girls sitting with an open spot at the table and I knew that wasn't someone's spot and knew that I needed to know more about some plans they were making, I would just sit down and ask, "Is it OK for me to eat with you?" I wouldn't think, "Oh, well the adults are supposed to sit together." That's elitist.

I also consider boundaries to be sort of nonsense. They are just a defensive mechanism adults use so they can justify not caring, because in reality, they actually don't care about the kids. They just like to pretend that they do. So they create an artificial concept called boundaries that says they are not allowed to care because it is unprofessional and then hide behind that concept. But there's no law or reason why you have to follow it. Being professional means being well-versed in your field, not hiding your life from others.

I also reject the current definition of respect. What people currently consider respect is that when you say something, they do it. But that's not actually respect. That is fear. You can be a total jerk to your personnel and they might do everything you say because they are afraid of you. But they probably don't respect you. As soon as that strong negative external force is removed, they won't do anything you say. True respect is knowing everything about a person and being so proud of those accomplishments that because you adore what that person represents or has done for you, you do what they ask because you want to show your appreciation.

And true respect requires each side to be fully open and honest with each other. There's nothing I wouldn't tell my campers, as long as it is legal and personal safety is never jeopardized. For example, in talking about the various businesses I am working with, I have told them how much money I have in the bank and thought nothing of sharing that information, even though most adults think it is none of the campers' business. Being so forthright with your personnel allows me to generate true respect from my campers, even if I operate as almost like a peer to them.

Finally, as a business owner, I need to be judgmental about things because if I am not, I will go bankrupt. Girls this age are judgmental because they are insecure. But we are still both judgmental and that allows them to identify with me and take my advice seriously.

So, yeah, that's why I thought it was such a good idea.

What do you think?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
I'm in my 20s. Never went to graduate school because there was nothing I wanted to put 40 hours a week into studying for just one subject, but I did graduate college.

Never took any educational classes. Actually was told I was too advanced for the basic education class when I tried to apply and that barred me from taking anything in the field.

I am setting up a few companies locally. I figure that could give me added extra trust to the faculty because if I were to hypothetically try to hurt a child, it would crush my business, since they are local based businesses. You could call that collateral.

So if they don't believe I truly care, they can look at it from a purely money angle if they wish.

I figure that by getting to know each child so well, when they graduate from the middle school, I can employ the best ones as personal research assistants and employ some others as base level positions in my companies. That would also give the students extra motivation to behave and be truthful, since I do not employ liars.

The goal is to train them well enough so that, ten years out in the future, I'd entrust them with the start-up money to build another branch of one of my companies in whatever town they decide to attend college in. In exchange for that lack of risk for opportunity, I will take 20% of their profits. And since I fully trust them since I would have known them well for 3 years, have a strong grasp of their morals, and had them employed part-time for 4 years, I will have a pretty good conviction that they will be successful, so I can afford to pay all of their start-up fees. And if I am fairly confident that they will also be successful, then I can recoup the lost $200,000 per year I should have been earning since the district will likely only be able to pay me a much smaller salary. But it also works out for the school district because they got a much higher valued service at a steep discount.

And so this type of position will allow me to grow my companies long-term by developing trust within people to place in such important positions and give me confidence to allocate such large sums of money to other affiliate owners. Obviously, it would not be possible to run dozens of affiliates on my own. And it also, simultaneously, solves a major problem that most school systems face today.

In terms of what qualifies me to do this job, I just tend to transcend the adult/child distinctions. I never worry about whether I'm supposed to be involved in it. If a child needs my help, I always want to listen! Who cares what everyone else thinks?

You know in the cafeteria when the teachers and students keep to themselves at tables? If I saw a cluster of girls sitting with an open spot at the table and I knew that wasn't someone's spot and knew that I needed to know more about some plans they were making, I would just sit down and ask, "Is it OK for me to eat with you?" I wouldn't think, "Oh, well the adults are supposed to sit together." That's elitist.

I also consider boundaries to be sort of nonsense. They are just a defensive mechanism adults use so they can justify not caring, because in reality, they actually don't care about the kids. They just like to pretend that they do. So they create an artificial concept called boundaries that says they are not allowed to care because it is unprofessional and then hide behind that concept. But there's no law or reason why you have to follow it. Being professional means being well-versed in your field, not hiding your life from others.

I also reject the current definition of respect. What people currently consider respect is that when you say something, they do it. But that's not actually respect. That is fear. You can be a total jerk to your personnel and they might do everything you say because they are afraid of you. But they probably don't respect you. As soon as that strong negative external force is removed, they won't do anything you say. True respect is knowing everything about a person and being so proud of those accomplishments that because you adore what that person represents or has done for you, you do what they ask because you want to show your appreciation.

And true respect requires each side to be fully open and honest with each other. There's nothing I wouldn't tell my campers, as long as it is legal and personal safety is never jeopardized. For example, in talking about the various businesses I am working with, I have told them how much money I have in the bank and thought nothing of sharing that information, even though most adults think it is none of the campers' business. Being so forthright with your personnel allows me to generate true respect from my campers, even if I operate as almost like a peer to them.

Finally, as a business owner, I need to be judgmental about things because if I am not, I will go bankrupt. Girls this age are judgmental because they are insecure. But we are still both judgmental and that allows them to identify with me and take my advice seriously.

So, yeah, that's why I thought it was such a good idea.

What do you think?
I think your "logic" is lacking. And as for the idea that you have some sort of gift that allows you to transcend the adult child boundaries....its a little disturbing. That doesn't even touch the ides that you want to get paid to groom and recruit your future employees based on keeping a gossip log in public schools. That is assuming what you wrote is even true. You sound very naive and immature for a college graduate in their 20s. Good luck to you in whatever you do end up doing.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
If you believe in neither boundaries nor respect, I predict jail time in your future, OP.

Good-night.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 05-02-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM

209 posts, read 160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post

Yes, it would get a lot more complicated. That's why you should hire an adult to specialize in that one role.

Will secretive stuff still happen? Sure. But it will be way way way more limited in scope because it will be much more difficult for the bullies to get by without being detected and because so much more will be known about everyone in advance.
Unfortunately, it's not done enough, but it starts with the children's home. Parents need to teach their kids how to respect people. One should never start a fight. Respect your peers and your teachers and people that work in the school such as the nurses, secretaries, custodians and crossing guards. If someone starts a fight, report it to the proper authorities such as the teachers. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work. Here's where it gets dicey and is not appropriate for everyone, if the bullying continues, I think the child has no other option but to fight back and defend themselves.

Fat Kid Gets Revenge on a Bully - YouTube

Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I think your "logic" is lacking. And as for the idea that you have some sort of gift that allows you to transcend the adult child boundaries....its a little disturbing. That doesn't even touch the ides that you want to get paid to groom and recruit your future employees based on keeping a gossip log in public schools. That is assuming what you wrote is even true. You sound very naive and immature for a college graduate in their 20s. Good luck to you in whatever you do end up doing.

Why is it disturbing?

In any other field (government/public, manager/player, business/employees, etc.), that makes the transcending person one of the top players in their field. Why should it be any different here?

You oversimplified the idea. The idea of recruiting future employees is based on a strong grasp of a person's fundamental morals, which is known through paying attention and observing each person.

For example, a person could be extraordinarily ditzy and insensitive, but have grown up with a strong family structure, could be really generous with their friends, and always take leadership in school projects.

That person would still be a good employee, even though they might project a very dumb exterior. The gossip portion of it just enables me to help a sector of the school population that happens to need some sort of help and I believe in that way that that can be a solution.

What's so bad about that?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If you believe in neither boundaries nor respect, I predict jail time in your future, OP.

Good-night.

Nice answer.

This is a big problem I have with elitist adults.

You make some absurd claim and think that that deflates twenty paragraphs of logic, because of course, you said so. You could try at least elaborating a little bit to describe your reasoning?

No wonder kids these days have no true respect.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country! View Post
Unfortunately, it's not done enough, but it starts with the children's home. Parents need to teach their kids how to respect people. One should never start a fight. Respect your peers and your teachers and people that work in the school such as the nurses, secretaries, custodians and crossing guards. If someone starts a fight, report it to the proper authorities such as the teachers. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work. Here's where it gets dicey and is not appropriate for everyone, if the bullying continues, I think the child has no other option but to fight back and defend themselves.

Fat Kid Gets Revenge on a Bully - YouTube

I feel like if every set of parents did that, then we would have no need for the position I am advocating, but what I would say to some in this thread is, what evidence leads you to believe that the parents who ignore their children and raise their children through TV and other pop culture, are going to change their ways just because some speaker comes to their school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education