Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

159 posts, read 575,442 times

Advertisements

I think that there are 5 important subjects that need to be implemented into our school systems. As far as I know, there are not any schools that teach these 5 classes, but I feel very strongly that it should be manditory for every kid in america to have these subjects taught to them:

1. Finance: Learning how to budget your money, how to stay out of debt, how interest rates work, how morgages work, the dangers of credit cards, and the best ways to invest money.

2. Relationships: Learning what factors are needed for a healthy relationship and marraige.

3. Boundries: Learning how to handle peer pressure, bullies, stereotypes, racism, and what to do if you are faced with physical or sexual abuse.

4. Spirituality: Learning the fundamental differences of all the major religions of the world, philosophy of life, and having a chance to discuss paranormal experiences.

5. Life Exploration: Figuring out what unique skills we each have and how to apply those skills to future career ideas, finding your unique calling in life, and understanding the true meaning of happiness and what causes it.

If we designate one hour a day to teach one of those classes, then by the end of the week we could have all five classes. So each individual class would be an hour a week. Think how much better our lives would be if we had learned these things when we were younger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
awesome ideas - these things taught to our children would make the US a stronger/better country for sure.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
Items 2-5 aren't the sort of things you can teach, everyone deals with those things in a different way. Thus what will be your basis for teaching a class in such things?

Also if you tried to make 4 a requirement you'd have people like me suing the school system.

The school systems need to teach more science and mathematics, that is what will make the US a better country.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
The school systems need to teach more science and mathematics, that is what will make the US a better country.
I agree. As well as written composition and grammar.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:06 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,492,599 times
Aren't parents responsible for teaching all of that too?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Aren't parents responsible for teaching all of that too?
As a parent, I want to teach social/religious/moral issues based on my values, not the public school system's.

The public school should stick to the academics, mostly, imo. My 3rd gr daughter had just as many quizzes on fire safety/drug awareness and making friends so far this year in her gifted class, then she did in reading, spelling, math and science (in fact not one single quiz or test in science whatsoever...wondering how you receive a grade on that?)

I'm not saying those other issues aren't important. Some should be touched upon in school, but not given equal attention as the academic subjects, imo.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,492,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
As a parent, I want to teach social/religious/moral issues based on my values, not the public school system's.

The public school should stick to the academics, mostly, imo. My 3rd gr daughter had just as many quizzes on fire safety/drug awareness and making friends so far this year in her gifted class, then she did in reading, spelling, math and science (in fact not one single quiz or test in science whatsoever...wondering how you receive a grade on that?)

I'm not saying those other issues aren't important. Some should be touched upon in school, but not given equal attention as the academic subjects, imo.

I absolutely agree with you here. I am having to teach the children...in FIRST GRADE...to say NO to drugs...and I mean to actually give lessons on it..I think that really should be a parent's job.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
A lot of this material IS taught at many schools--heck, they were around when I was in high school. They usually fall under the heading of the Family and Consumer Science classes. They don't generally teacher spirituality since that is a pretty touchy subject in the US and schools. They have budgeting, interpersonal relationships, family dynamics, etc. I know in our school the kids are required to take 2 courses from these types of classes for graduation. Have you check the high school course offerings in your area and are positive they are not being taught. Also, you can teach kids all kinds of stuff, it doesn't mean they practice what they are taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education