Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

So I'm 28, graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences (kinda useless, I know). I've been working full time for little over 5 years now in the insurance industry (underwriting and claims). As I'm not a newbie anymore, companies want continued education certifications to show you are invested and committed. I tried a class, read the entire book and straight up failed the test. I'm an audio learner and reading a book as the only source is extremely difficult for me. I've never been a reader, always a lecture type of student. They don't offer classes and the online stuff from what I've been told is useless and not worth the extra money.

More importantly, I feel like I'm dumbing myself down to fit in. I'm always way faster than everyone else and able to interpret work much easier. With all three jobs I've had, my training was about half as long as everyone elses since I didn't need as much time. Plus, insurance is really boring and I'd like to see how a different industry goes.

I want to do something where I don't need to dumb myself down and/or stay under the radar so I don't get the wrong type of attention. I've been thinking sales (not sure what type) is a good route. I figure telling people you don't have coverage and/or you are at fault for accident then arguing with them about it is probably harder than giving a hard sell.

I'm also thinking of getting a Masters degree, probably a MPA. I rather not go back to school, just thinking about the 20k+ that will cost makes me sick.

Have any of you switched careers and what did you do to get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:54 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So I'm 28, graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences (kinda useless, I know). I've been working full time for little over 5 years now in the insurance industry (underwriting and claims). As I'm not a newbie anymore, companies want continued education certifications to show you are invested and committed. I tried a class, read the entire book and straight up failed the test. I'm an audio learner and reading a book as the only source is extremely difficult for me. I've never been a reader, always a lecture type of student. They don't offer classes and the online stuff from what I've been told is useless and not worth the extra money.

More importantly, I feel like I'm dumbing myself down to fit in. I'm always way faster than everyone else and able to interpret work much easier. With all three jobs I've had, my training was about half as long as everyone elses since I didn't need as much time. Plus, insurance is really boring and I'd like to see how a different industry goes.

I want to do something where I don't need to dumb myself down and/or stay under the radar so I don't get the wrong type of attention. I've been thinking sales (not sure what type) is a good route. I figure telling people you don't have coverage and/or you are at fault for accident then arguing with them about it is probably harder than giving a hard sell.

I'm also thinking of getting a Masters degree, probably a MPA. I rather not go back to school, just thinking about the 20k+ that will cost makes me sick.

I am a salesman and business owner. If you're serious about getting into sales "in general" don't throw anymore money at a graduate degree, ESPECIALLY an MBA (THE most watered down graduate major that exists nowadays). I don't see any correlation between getting an MPA either with the sales profession. For many sales jobs having a bachelors degree from a known university (ie brick & morter, NOT some matchbook university) is sufficient for getting your foot in the door. Look towards your own interests for direction. Are you interested in healthcare, agriculture, automotive, technology, etc? Use this as your focus. Try to direct yourself towards products that get used up requiring reorders or additional service down the road. Big ticket, high pressure one time selling will burn anyone out after a while. You want customers that you can build a relationship with.

If you're quick to pick things up, can think on your feet, AND enjoy meeting and conversing with people, this might be your calling.

One thing you won't get on this particular forum are a lot of people suggesting that you go into the teaching profession.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

OK. First off, you say that you are smarter and sharper than everybody else, then you go and fail a required test for advancement. That kind of attitude is going to get you nowhere fast in the world of work.

If you want to switch careers, now is definitely the right age to do it, but you probably need another degree to get anything decent.

Also, insurance sounds way better than sales to me. Claims and underwriting seems like a decent gig. You need the personality to do sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education