Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,662 times

Advertisements

Demographics change. What were once neighborhoods filled with young families become primarily empty-nesters. Or the neighborhood stops being as safe so families flee to the suburbs. It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of buildings you have to keep heated and staffed filled to only half capacity, so it makes better sense to close or consolidate under-enrolled schools and get as close to 100% capacity in all open buildings as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 04:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Here is an update discussing what Chicago is experiencing.

Chicago Rising

Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,476,643 times
Indy is having issues due to loss of student population. Franklin Township had to close at least one new elementary school due to finances.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
School systems do not have unlimited resources. Chicago added a lot of new schools during a time when student enrollment was declining. It was a stupid, but I am sure politically motivated, decision when they did it. This time, although it is probably still politically motivated, hopefully the decision is being driven by fiscal responsibility. Running a building for just a few students is not cost-effective. I couldn't believe it when I read that they had a school originally built for over 200 that now had a mere 27 students. Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous that is, I seldom had even a single class with less students.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Chicago Rising
Chicago sounds like a horrible place to live.

They are closing schools in my area, too. We are in Exurbia (Pocono Mountains, PA) which expanded rapidly in the wake of post-9/11 flight from New York City, and which has been contracting almost as rapidly since 2008 as people slowly move back towards their home area in the wake of tough economic times.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
???
Pittsburgh's economy is NOTHING like Detroit and Cleveland! Why did you include it in this post?

it may not be detroit or cleveland comparatively but its not what it was at its height. on top of that living in the south i've met untold numbers of western PA / pittsburgh transplants who moved down here for economic reasons. it still remains a rustbelt city and i guess i would put it closer to chicago and further from detroit and cleveland. i will say that pitt took the same approach chicago did in that they adapted to the changing times industry wise so maybe i was quick to lump them in with the other two mentioned but one has to agree that its not what it once was economically when it was the center of an entire industrial universe.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Chicago Rising
That article said:

Quote:
The CTU beat Rahm in a historic strike this past September and hasn’t stopped fighting austerity and privatization since.
Really? I do not think the CTU "beat" Rahm.

The magazine "The Nation" self describes as the flagship of the left. So that article is ridiculously biased for the CTU. Their opposition to the closings had nothing to do with children or education. It was about losing jobs. And when you have too many schools, too many classrooms, and too many teachers, some jobs will be lost.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,526,006 times
Why is the child population going down only now??
It's not like poverty and crime in Chicago are new.

BTW, no school closings here in California.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:11 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
it may not be detroit or cleveland comparatively but its not what it was at its height. on top of that living in the south i've met untold numbers of western PA / pittsburgh transplants who moved down here for economic reasons.

Yep - mass exodus out of the area when the mills closed in the 80s.
But it is much improved over the last decades. Come take a look sometimes... you'll be impressed!

Two surveys rank Pittsburgh among 'smartest populations' in country - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.popcitymedia.com/features/americanforarts062613.aspx?utm_source=VerticalResp onse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Impressions+of+Pitt sburgh%3a+what+the+arts+delegates+had+to+say+about +our+city&utm_content={Email_Address}&utm_campaign =What+they%27re+saying+about+our+city
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/07/06...anted=all&_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...SURFACING.html

etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
A few weeks ago the Chicago school board voted to close 50 schools. Some other cities are doing likewise.

Why is this happening more now? Schools have always had funding problems. Now suddenly there are more closings than ever before.
a) Urban flight.

b) Charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education