Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,460,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Diabetic girl, 11 barred from bringing her service dog Duke to school as administration says it may distract other students

One Rochester-area family is barking mad after their diabetic 11-year-old daughter's service dog was denied entry to her middle school.

Duke, a yellow Labrador retriever, helps Madyson Siragusa sniff out her blood sugar dips or spikes too high, and reminds her to administer her insulin or grab a quick snack.

But the Rush Henrietta Central School District - located in suburban Rochester - denied Madyson's request to have her service dog by her side during school hours, on the grounds that the canine would be a distraction to students and possibly scare them.

Read More: http://mobile.buffalonews.com/?articleRedirect=1
Posted with TapaTalk

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-11-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Diabetic girl, 11 barred from bringing her service dog Duke to school as administration says it may distract other students

One Rochester-area family is barking mad after their diabetic 11-year-old daughter's service dog was denied entry to her middle school.

Duke, a yellow Labrador retriever, helps Madyson Siragusa sniff out her blood sugar dips or spikes too high, and reminds her to administer her insulin or grab a quick snack.

But the Rush Henrietta Central School District - located in suburban Rochester - denied Madyson's request to have her service dog by her side during school hours, on the grounds that the canine would be a distraction to students and possibly scare them.

Read More: The Buffalo News

Posted with TapaTalk
The school will remind her to take her insulin. It would be a huge distraction. Some rules and regulations need to be put in place over the use and classification of these dogs. Right now all you have to do is say this is my service dog.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The school will remind her to take her insulin. It would be a huge distraction. Some rules and regulations need to be put in place over the use and classification of these dogs. Right now all you have to do is say this is my service dog.
I guess a blind kid could have someone guide them around too.....but this school district already allows service dogs for blind children.

BTW.....the dog is not there to remind her to take insulin. It detects high or low blood sugar level. Taking insulin is only half of the situation.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
High risk decision for the school district. Just one medical incident for this kid as a result of high or low blood sugar and they will be getting sued for millions.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM

What about the ADA? Are schools exempt?

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Sure they will. Sorry don't trust the school to remember this.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM

BTW: This is not just a dog someone is "claiming" is a service dog. It was trained by the National Institute for Diabetic Alert Dogs and cost $20,000

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
BTW: This is not just a dog someone is "claiming" is a service dog. It was trained by the National Institute for Diabetic Alert Dogs and cost $20,000

Posted with TapaTalk
I realize that. I read she just got it and it cost $20,000. How often is this girl's blood sugar out of control? I have taught many diabetic 6th graders. They remembered to take their insulin all on their own, and it is a life skill she should be learning, unless there is some secondary reason. Blind children are generally in a seperate school.

There are kids terrified of dogs, do they lose the right to learn? How about kids with allergies? Like I said, rules and regulations need to be established for these dogs and what they have now isn't enough.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Diabetic alert dogs are still experimental, and we don't know the basis of the denial, my personal opinion is that age 11 is too young for a service dog. Others may disagree.

But, if the parents push the issue, it should be accommodated with a 504 plan, and implemented.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
I realize that. I read she just got it and it cost $20,000. How often is this girl's blood sugar out of control? I have taught many diabetic 6th graders. They remembered to take their insulin all on their own, and it is a life skill she should be learning, unless there is some secondary reason. Blind children are generally in a seperate school.

There are kids terrified of dogs, do they lose the right to learn? How about kids with allergies? Like I said, rules and regulations need to be established for these dogs and what they have now isn't enough.
Refresh your reading on the Americans with Disabilities Act. Public schools are not exempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education