Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are simply saying the man should be mentioned in public schools, acknowledged for his accomplishments , sacrifices, yes even his mistakes but also for his turnaround to forgive and work for peace in his country as well as elsewhere. I know for a fact Bin Laden's death was discussed in school. So what's the big deal with Mandela? .
As I tried to explain to you b4, we care about those who affect our lives. Bin Laden was believed to be responsible for a heinous attack on Americans, so news of his death was cause for celebration. His attack caused the way we check in at airports and fortunately or unfortunately the way we view those fromt he ARAB world we see here int he states.

Nothing Mandela did affects life here. To most Americans, he's simply nothing more than a nice old man who possibly, was unjustly imprisoned for a long time, and then became president of a country half way around the world.

Why the need to discuss this with grade school kids. And also, in your original post, you stated that you will be asking the teacher when they plan to talk about him, as if you want to dictate school policy and curriculum. I thought that was a bit arrogant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
I sat my kids down last night and showed them his picture and told them all about Soweto and this man's life and his legacy. I wanted them to be aware of what was sure to be discussed in school today. I was shocked when both girls told me not one word was said about him And this is a very progressive school system. One girl in 5th and one in 6th grade. i plan to write a letter to their teachers asking how and when this great man will be discussed. Maybe it is too soon but surely this is not an unexpected death so at least a history teacher would have something to present.

Did your kids discuss Mandela in School today?

No Kudzu,

We're in the same school district as you, as you know. Both my 1st grader and my 3rd grader discussed it in their classes - not sure about the 6th grader.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
I sat my kids down last night and showed them his picture and told them all about Soweto and this man's life and his legacy. I wanted them to be aware of what was sure to be discussed in school today. I was shocked when both girls told me not one word was said about him And this is a very progressive school system. One girl in 5th and one in 6th grade. i plan to write a letter to their teachers asking how and when this great man will be discussed. Maybe it is too soon but surely this is not an unexpected death so at least a history teacher would have something to present.

Did your kids discuss Mandela in School today?
Let's back off personal and rude comments please and get back to the OP ^^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
My 7th grader said they watched CNN Student News about Mandela today in class. I'd highly recommend the last few days videos on the topic.

CNN Student News

Old 12-11-2013, 02:08 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
As I tried to explain to you b4, we care about those who affect our lives. Bin Laden was believed to be responsible for a heinous attack on Americans, so news of his death was cause for celebration. His attack caused the way we check in at airports and fortunately or unfortunately the way we view those fromt he ARAB world we see here int he states.

Nothing Mandela did affects life here. To most Americans, he's simply nothing more than a nice old man who possibly, was unjustly imprisoned for a long time, and then became president of a country half way around the world.

Why the need to discuss this with grade school kids. And also, in your original post, you stated that you will be asking the teacher when they plan to talk about him, as if you want to dictate school policy and curriculum. I thought that was a bit arrogant
For one reason, because kids who are better educated on what goes on around the world make more money as adults than kids who are not.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:14 AM

641 posts, read 1,021,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
For one reason, because kids who are better educated on what goes on around the world make more money as adults than kids who are not.
So what you are saying is that World History degree WILL in fact pay off afterall? LOL Highly doubt it.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I would be more concerned if Pearl Harbor wasn't mentioned.

Too many people have the MSNBC view of Mandela. His compliments of Castro, insults of the US, and views on private property are never mentioned.

You do realize that people can be against apartheid and not hold Mandela in high regard. I always thought that Chief Buthelezi should have been given control of South Africa at that time.
You really think that Buthelezi who was against sanctions, was a government puppet and was a tribal loyalist rather than a multiculturalist should have been given control? While Mandela was certainly not perfect at least he transcended the tribalism that kept the South African people divided.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
So what you are saying is that World History degree WILL in fact pay off afterall? LOL Highly doubt it.
Nobody is saying a World History degree is necessary to be informed and educated about world history. People who are educated and informed about the world make better world citizens, regardless of eventual pay. They also make better parents because they can teach their children what they obviously are not getting in school.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
There is no way that schools could possibly cover every topic that people would want covered. As it is our curriculum is an inch deep and a mile wide.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
I can appreciate one wanting recognition of Mandela in school.

However, there are also probably parents who would have appreciated acknowledgement of Thatcher's death; a moment of silence perhaps for the typhoon deaths of 5K+ in the Phillippines or the anniversary of Newtown;mention of the devastion of schools & death from tornado in OK; mention of 9-11 anniveraries; etc, etc, etc.

Everyone has his or her own agenda. Elementary school has the agenda of teaching a rigorous curriculum. Plus, some of these topics involving death can be very upsetting to elementary students, so must be approached very carefully.

Parents cannot expect schools to cover everything. As a parent you have a roll to play regarding your own agenda.

Last edited by bongo; 12-12-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education