Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:15 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Schools shouldn't graduate people without knowing how to read and schools should concentrate on reading instead of pushing an agenda. Also, no welfare unless you know how to read or are taking classes to read.

I used to teach literacy classes and the school system along with the parents are to blame.
Except it isn't the schools "pushing an agenda". NCLB was a political movement from the right.

So, based on that, how about no internet for people who don't know their political science or history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Between 5 and 10% of all people suffer from dyslexia, which accounts for quite a few of the functional illiterates. While it is possible to largely overcome dislexia, it is arduous and many dyslexics feel it is too difficult to make the effort, as long as they can get by in a non-demanding job without the need to read or write.
The internet does not help at all!! It even confuses me all the time words like has ,as , an ,a ,very and really people seem to confuses them a lot!!! Also not to say words like then and than.

The pronunciation is also extremely confusing way too many people write two or three lines with no comma or period.

You learn bad grammar every DAY reading message boards.

I guess it time to stop going on the internet and get out books for young kids and read that every day.

Last edited by golfgal; 02-16-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Did they say "We don't read" or "We can't read". I know it seems like they are the same but to me there is a subtle difference. I can't eat X (I am allergic) as opposed to I don't eat X by choice (dislike/culture/religion) etc. As someone mentioned, the children should know how to read. The law requires schooling and a doctor's form is easy. There is something not right about that family.
They may very well be "home schooling" and not doing anything with them at all. Or they may attend school but the parents pull them out frequently for whatever, which happens. I have students who miss 2 out of 5 days of the week. Or more. Obviously they fall behind, especially if there is nothing going on at home.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Perhaps an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
We don't read
Business | Gypsies Trying To Change Stereotyped Image -- Some Practice Their Ancient Culture Secretly | Seattle Times Newspaper
"One stumbling block is that many Gypsies are poorly educated, even illiterate. Even now many keep their children out of school"

Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Well it doesn't help to further reading when audio books are being used in the classroom either.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Illiteracy is still a major problem in Appalachia where education isn't needed nor valued. I have seen many people that can't even simple words, like the days of the week, in rural Virginia.
What does the Appalachia have to do with it? We are talking about why English is so hard to learn.

There is a lot of talk on other message boards to overhaul the english language to simplify it. Emigrations You have to understand how people speak is not how it is spelled.That is the main problem with reading and spelling.Not only that but vowel sounds sound alike.

Take the word bad. I'm having a bad day at school today. When people speak it comes out bad ,bed ,be-ad ,bayd.The vowel sounds alike. People who have good hearing can tell the difference of bad ,bed ,be-ad ,mayd!! But people who have a very hard time hearing , they have a hard time to tell the difference.

Take the word water. No one in the US pronounces the T sound!!! It is pronounced with d sound like wader.Most words with t in the middle of words become d sound like water or butter becomes wader or budder.

Take words like never ,river ,ever ,mover,summer ,lover so on. The er is dropped and sounds some thing close to nevea ,riva ,evha ,movha ,summha ,lovha.Yet it is not spelled that way.

Other rule is J in middle of words or at the end of words become dge but everyone pronounces it as a J.Words like bridge or badge.

Than there is the stressed and unstressed syllables and you ask your self why people struggle to read or spell

The English language is very old language and for the most part how people talk is not how it is spelled.If you are really good at English you have memorized it. But you are not understanding it at all.

The American vowel sounds are A ,E ,I ,O,U and some times Y.Yet the vowel sounds are so alike!! No wonder why people struggle to spell or read.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What does the Appalachia have to do with it? We are talking about why English is so hard to learn.

There is a lot of talk on other message boards to overhaul the english language to simplify it. Emigrations You have to understand how people speak is not how it is spelled.That is the main problem with reading and spelling.Not only that but vowel sounds sound alike.

Take the word bad. I'm having a bad day at school today. When people speak it comes out bad ,bed ,be-ad ,bayd.The vowel sounds alike. People who have good hearing can tell the difference of bad ,bed ,be-ad ,mayd!! But people who have a very hard time hearing , they have a hard time to tell the difference.

Take the word water. No one in the US pronounces the T sound!!! It is pronounced with d sound like wader.Most words with t in the middle of words become d sound like water or butter becomes wader or budder.

Take words like never ,river ,ever ,mover,summer ,lover so on. The er is dropped and sounds some thing close to nevea ,riva ,evha ,movha ,summha ,lovha.Yet it is not spelled that way.

Other rule is J in middle of words or at the end of words become dge but everyone pronounces it as a J.Words like bridge or badge.

Than there is the stressed and unstressed syllables and you ask your self why people struggle to read or spell

The English language is very old language and for the most part how people talk is not how it is spelled.If you are really good at English you have memorized it. But you are not understanding it at all.

The American vowel sounds are A ,E ,I ,O,U and some times Y.Yet the vowel sounds are so alike!! No wonder why people struggle to spell or read.
Not sure where you live but no one around here pronounces river like riva or water like wader. Yes, the English language is hard, but then again, so are more languages when you didn't grow up speaking them. The Spanish you learned in high school isn't anything close to the colloquial language spoken in Mexico or Spain.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

I've never heard these words spoken in this fashion. What you are saying is uncommon, at best.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Accommodations for Math tests include giving them calculators and formula sheets as well as reading the problem to them.

NCLB.."No child left behind"
Try "IEP." You don't get testing accommodations without one.

In regard to the family, it is possible that the parent had a disability (obviously not all developmental disabilities are visible). It's less likely everyone in the group was, obviously. Possible, though. Couple of my mom's former students, both developmentally disabled, went on to marry, and have a son who is also a special education student.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Watch any hollywood movie they are pronounced that way.

The British pronouncees the T sound in the middle of the words.Where people in the US do not say water or butter they say wadder or budder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education