Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 AM

329 posts, read 225,266 times

Advertisements

[quote=sargentodiaz;33527057]By Tom Yulsman | February 17, 2014

Quote:
I was stunned to read this! What are they NOT teaching in schools these days?

The article is at New Survey: 1 in 4 Americans Believe the Sun Revolves Around the Earth - ImaGeo | DiscoverMagazine.com with a link to the actual survey @ 1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says : The Two-Way : NPR

And now we await the leftist apologists to jump in and claim the survey is flawed.
Okay, I vaguely remember this little comedy of errors as seen on The Newlywed Game show many, many years ago. The episode showed Host, Bob Eubanks, addressing the wives with the following question;
“Ladies, in which direction does the Sun set in your neighborhood?”

The ladies, looking bewildered, attempted to work out where the sun went down in their neighborhoods. Their responses went something like this:

Wife no. 1: Well, let’s see, my bedroom window faces the park, and I think that’s south, so, yeah, that’s it: South!

Wife no. 2 gave an answer that was no more accurate than Wife No. 1.. She reasoned that in her neighborhood the sun set in the North, right over top the backyard toolshed; and so it went, with Wife no. 3 claiming sundown came to her neighborhood in the Northern sky, as well.

If it seemed Wife No. 4 would prove the egghead in this group of Basic Astronomy -illiterate adults, alas, she also failed to pinpoint where the sun disappeared from view in her neck of the woods.

It was a long while ago so I don’t recall if any of the husbands accurately predicted their wives’ responses. I have a feeling the men might have been equally in the dark on the subject. These couples, after all, weren’t the brightest stars in the sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First, many, many people who believe in god accept evolution, cosmic expansion and so on.

Second, some of the questions are overly simplistic. For example there is no "correct" answer for the original question. Same with your second one (only pure water has a ph around 7), IUPAC name of water is oxidane so technically three isn't correct either.

None of these are good measures. So all of these should taken with a grain of salt the size of a boulder.
I don't know any, any people who are devout Christians and believe in evolution or the big bang.

Yes, I am aware of the IUPAC naming water Oxidane (OH2). However, Oxidane is still not widely accepted or known. Okay, pure water.

My point is none of these questions are relevant to gauging science knowledge, they only served as a social engineering experiment to discredit those who believe in Creationism.

Luckily, we have Huffington Post to come right out and say it.

"only 48% of Americans believe in evolution."

"As NPR pointed out, European and Asian countries fared much better on the evolution question."

I believe science knowledge is getting better and better among the general public, but we will never be near 100% on these types of quizzes.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
That's ridiculous. It's common knowledge about how the solar system works...
Apparently, not to 1 in 4 people .

What is common knowledge to you may not be common knowledge to someone else and vice versa. This is just not something that enters into day to day conversations. For the vast majority of people, believing the sun revolves around the earth changes nothing.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I don't know any, any people who are devout Christians and believe in evolution or the big bang.

Yes, I am aware of the IUPAC naming water Oxidane (OH2). However, Oxidane is still not widely accepted or known. Okay, pure water.

My point is none of these questions are relevant to gauging science knowledge, they only served as a social engineering experiment to discredit those who believe in Creationism.

"As NPR pointed out, European and Asian countries fared much better on the evolution question."

I believe science knowledge is getting better and better among the general public, but we will never be near 100% on these types of quizzes.
What difference does it make if the public can answer science trivia questions or not?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
By Tom Yulsman | February 17, 2014

I was stunned to read this! What are they NOT teaching in schools these days?

There is a difference between teaching and learning. I teach a lot of things that my students apparently don't learn. If they learned everything I teach, they'd all get 100% on the final. If I teach 80% of the material in the book (there isn't time to teach it all) and my students learn, on average, 75% of the material, they know 60% of the material IF they don't forget it as soon as the test is over. Kids learn and remember what is useful to them of what is taught to them. Don't jump to the conclusion that just because something is not known it was not taught. It may have been taught and not learned or learned and forgotten because it was deemed unnecessary and was unused.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-20-2014 at 03:55 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 AM

914 posts, read 943,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
...America's very, very strong anti-intellectual streak that says no knowldege but practical knowldege is worth having, and Americans' narcissim that says that if it doesn't affect me, I don't really care.
Except, of course, when it comes to those awful, freaky, scary, gross gays wanting to get married!
THEN they care plenty, don't they?

Sorry for being slightly off-topic with this but I could not resist.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yep----

And 1 in 4 people believe you hang toilet paper coming off the top of the roll, not the underside, I believe they are considered a protected class........
My mom does that. It drives me crazy.
I ALWAYS make the toilet paper hang off the roll so that it is next to the wall...coming off the underside.

The reason for this is that I had a puppy (who is now a thirteen year old dog who is still alive and well) who loved to jump up on the toilet paper roll and unwind it.

When you hang the toilet paper roll the correct way, they can jump up on it and roll it all they want, and the paper won't unroll.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
There were hundreds of other general knowledge science questions they could have asked. They would also be better for gauging true knowledge of science. This is all about discrediting those who believe in a God.

Better questions could have been.

T or F the Sun is a Star?

T or F water has a Ph level of around 7?

What is dihydrogen Monoxide?

T or F Jupiter is the biggest planet in our solar system?

T or F The molten rock that comes from a volcano after it has erupted is known as lava?

T or F A red pigment found in vertebrate blood that functions in oxygen transport is Hemoglobin?

Any of these would have been a better gauge of science knowledge.
True. The Sun is a star
True. Water has a Ph of around 7 (higher values indicate alkaline, lower values indicate acid)
Dihydrogen Monoxide is more commonly known as water.
True. Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system.
True. The molten rock ejected from volcanoes is known as lava.

Last one...not quite.
Hemoglobin is actually blue, normally. It turns red in the presence of oxygen. This is why a person who is deprived of oxygen...has their lips turn blue. Hemoglobin DOES function in oxygen transport, however, in it's natural state, is not actually a red pigment. So that question is really half-true and half-false.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I am trying SO VERY HARD not to make a comment to this.
Because I know someone would take offense to what I say.

But no one seems to care that Atheists like ME are offended at the notion that WE are somehow deficient because we do NOT believe in God.

Why is it that WE Atheists can be attacked in this manner, and it's okay...but if I were to make a retort, I'd get reported as "Christian-bashing" faster than you could fart and say "Mississippi?"

Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:

They are "faring better" only if less believe in the pseudo science theory of evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education