Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ehhh, on the fence here. For normal kids no but for special needs children yes.
Keep thinking of that little autistic boy in NY that bolted out of school ( why door wasn't locked is another issue) had he had a tracking device it may have had a better ending.
That is interesting to consider. A mom at my child's school who has two autistic boys stated that she wished she could giver her boys tracking devices. I thought she was joking at first but she was serious. I can see how it could be useful in some instances like the one you described but I think that decision should be left to the parents and not made into school wide policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That is interesting to consider. A mom at my child's school who has two autistic boys stated that she wished she could giver her boys tracking devices. I thought she was joking at first but she was serious. I can see how it could be useful in some instances like the one you described but I think that decision should be left to the parents and not made into school wide policies.
Which is entirely different than schools putting tracking devices on students for the purposes of actually tracking them (or at least the cards).

Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Which is entirely different than schools putting tracking devices on students for the purposes of actually tracking them (or at least the cards).
Agreed.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
P.S. The "read range" on my badge at work is like an inch, not 10 feet and certainly not 100 feet. It's a pain sometimes when I'm carrying stuff and I have to line the damn thing up perfectly just to get into the building!
That's the swipe readers. They purposely work different to prevent accidental openings. Ours pretty much require contact with the door swipes to open the door too.

But the door frame has a separate reader that picks up everyone walking through, whether or not they swiped their card. Our newish building has one of these in the entryway to each area of the building, so your movement is tracked as you pass from area to area.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Keep in mind the OP was using "tracking" in a context of "Amber Alerts" etc. So clearly not the same thing as door entry scanning, but long range GPS type tracking ability.
I used to work on tracking tags (pop-up archival tags and ARGOS tags). Battery is a major barrier to long range GPS type tracking in an ID card, both from a size and a cost perspective.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Also, what schools can afford ID cards?

Not really a standard issue item at most public schools.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
My simple point is that we are arguing about whether schools should deploy tracking devices in ID cards, when tracking devices in ID cards have been standard practice for a couple of decades and are ubiquitous today. If you child has a student ID, they already have a tracking card.
Our school requires that staff members wear their ID. I know a lot of them don't. We don't even have ID cards for students. Our school is very porous, as we have several outside doors to other buildings. We have inadequate security to keep students in and trespassers out. With spring, a lot of students have sprung. If I had an RFID tag on my ID, I would leave it in my desk at school. I don't want to be trackable.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
I remember in my high school we had ID cards but no one ever had it on them, myself included. It didn't serve any purpose to swipe any doors or gain access anywhere so no one saw the point. Plus if there happened to be a student who had a high level of clearance(for example sake), how easily could that be stolen and put in the wrong hands?

Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Also, what schools can afford ID cards?

Not really a standard issue item at most public schools.
It was at every high school I worked at. These were photo ids and the kids had to have them to enter the school.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It was at every high school I worked at. These were photo ids and the kids had to have them to enter the school.
Yes. Almost every HS and college. The ID is usually something you show for student related activities, not tracking anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education