Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,681,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfret View Post
I did this one time because my supervisor asked me, but I wasn't sure if it was ok in terms of basic letter-request etiquette. I mean it's not considered "presumptuous" or "arrogant" requesting to write my own and let people sign the letter right?
I know how you feel, but you need to phrase it such as, "I'm so sorry to ask, but I really need these letters and have always had a good rapport with you. It's such an imposition to ask and the fact that you are so busy does not escape me. If you'd like, I can write up the basic letter and you could tweak if it would make it easier for you."

Or something similar. You kind of know who you can say that with and who you can't. Honestly, most people don't want to write them and will go along with it. I've done if for my supervisors and my doctor when an insurance company needed more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,761,195 times
Ok I need to put something different out there. I don't think letters if rec I get from the person they are about are worth anything. Actually, that would be the standard in my school and job. If we can't get the letter of rec without it going through the persons hands, it is pointless.

When I right lors I don't give them to anyone except to the job or school or internship etc directly.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,304,690 times
I have never given a student a letter of recommendation directly. Usually, the student asks me if I would be willing to provide one, and then the HR department or selection committee contacts me to get the letter. I will send the same letter, modified of course, to each institution requesting it.

If hard copies are required, the polite thing to do is to provide the professor with addressed stamped envelopes, at least a month in advance of when you need the letter, but if they have written a letter for you before, the timing is less critical.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 AM

78 posts, read 125,968 times
I'm not sure about all industries but for teacher positions, employers generally ask for 3-5 letters of reference (if it's an online application there is often a spot to upload a letter for every person you list as a reference). I've seen job postings specify that the letters have to be within the last 3 to 5 years but most don't specify at all. You should make sure you always have a current (within that year) letter of reference from someone who is a supervisor or co-worker that can speak for your skills or character and stop using any letter older than 3-5 years. It's better to have more than just one current letter of reference because you can then show you have a history of having good references. Keep your letters in a file or portfolio and use a good scanner/copier to make copies of them as you need them (always keep one original of each that you can make copies from for future use). You can always bring your portfolio to an interview for the original to be viewed if needed. This would work if applying to graduate programs, internships, etc. as well.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,594 times
Hello I recently get a reference letter how long before it expiry

Old 05-04-2017, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,594 times
The date is showing February 2017 and we are in may

Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 AM

50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
When I was hiring teachers (I was the principal), I looked for letters to recommendation that were still pertinent. I know -- vague terms. But it needs to be vague.

For example, let's say I get an application from a fairly young teacher who, for the first 2 years of his career taught 7th grade life science. Then for 3 years he got a job in some field of technology in schools. And I'm hiring a 7th grade life science teacher. Yes, I'm going to be interested in the technology aspect, but I'm going to want to go back and find out about his success as a regular classroom teacher.

When to older letters of recommendation "run out"? When they are no longer pertinent. When newer experiences make older experiences irrelevant.

What I looked for as a red flag were gaps in the work record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education