Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:54 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times

Advertisements

Just a couple of additional comments. When I taught recorder, usually 2nd or 3rd graders, I made it very clear from day one that this is not a toy, even if the kids' recorders did look like a plastic noisemaker to them. I'd bring in my collection of soprano, alto, tenor, and sopranino recorders and play them for the kids. I showed them my wood soprano recorder. I showed the difference between a baroque recorder and a German recorder. Throughout the year, I played recordings of well-known professional recorder players. Here, the older kids iin 4th grade get to learn alto recorder. There are also "music minus one" types of recordings that kids can play along with.

Regarding the piano lessons, another option would be to have your child take piano lessons from a teacher with a jazz background. The child will still need to learn proper technique, but also gets exposure to more theory and improvisation. He/she may like the idea that they get to "make up stuff" spontaneously. It's easier said than done, but most kids find it enjoyable and they like showing off the jazz tunes to the admiration of their friends.

As for guitar, just like any string instrument, there is a first, second, third postion etc. for notes and chords. String instruments are different from piano which has only one way to create a specific pitch. Wind instruments have multiple fingerings to create a specific pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Oh, you'd be surprised. I've gotten 4-year-olds to read music from a staff. Naturally it's only one note at a time, but you might be surprised at how easy it is.
One of the reasons I like piano so much for young musicians is that it is easier for them to associate a particular note on the staff with a key on the piano. I think it is the easiest instrument for a very young child to play and one of the most concrete instruments when it comes to reading music.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
One of the reasons I like piano so much for young musicians is that it is easier for them to associate a particular note on the staff with a key on the piano. I think it is the easiest instrument for a very young child to play and one of the most concrete instruments when it comes to reading music.
This is true. I've often used the "most concrete" explanation myself. Each instrument out there has its advantages, but the concrete nature of piano as well as its ability to produce full-bodied sound for melody and accompaniment at the same time (while still enabling you to sing if you want!) is what makes it the natural best choice for a first instrument. After you learn all of the music theory on piano, the rest of the instruments are easy. I've picked up several more on my own to the point where I am good enough to perform on them, merely from having learned piano.

That's not to say that piano MUST be the instrument that a child plays. I've taught for long enough to know that the best bet for any student is to let him/her choose the instrument. If a tiny little kid chooses guitar, he/she should be warned that guitar is difficult for someone whose fingers are not fully developed... but if that isn't enough and he/she wants to do it, well, make sure you get the kid a small-sized nylon string guitar. Kids have a hard enough time being motivated to practice (it's usually like getting them to do homework), so it's best to maximize the inherent motivation by allowing kids to play the instruments of their first choice whenever possible.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I vote for piano also. One of my kids was really into music and played five different instruments at different times growing up. As an adult, the only one that has stuck is piano.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
The piano in music is like ballet is to dance. It introduces the "fundamentals" for the medium. Ballet introduces basic techniques that are applied to tap, jazz,modern, ballroom, etc. The piano has the same function.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:06 AM

291 posts, read 392,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Here's where you're wrong. You may have to procure your own INSTRUMENT, from some place that'll rent out exotic instruments, but you most likely won't have to buy the music. Band directors purchase the music they'll use, and it comes with all of the different parts in a package. Should your daughter choose an exotic instrument, chances are the band director will give her a part that is not being covered, and have her play that on her instrument. (That's just one possibility, but I know it happens because it happened a lot to me. When I was in 6th through 8th grade, I played bells / xylophone in the band. At least half of the songs didn't have a part for me, so the band director gave me a part that wasn't otherwise being covered... like, perhaps, "3rd trumpet".)
That would be cool. I forgot that the instrument might have sister instruments with parts in the same key.

Quote:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ THE TRUTH!!!!!
It's not me who's saying that piano isn't a rock instrument. She's the one with the association because she likes Jimi Hendrix and Foo Fighters. I don't want to do a ton of convincing... I know I wouldn't want to be convinced to play the piano because it's also used in Spanish music. I want to learn Spanish guitar. That's what I want. You can kind of imagine that my children get at least some of my stubbornness... so you can see where the conversation is going.

That said I will definitely introduce the idea. I'm just not sure that "piano is also jazzy" will convince her.

Xylophone could be a good choice. She likes to hit things.

Quote:
Oh, you'd be surprised. I've gotten 4-year-olds to read music from a staff. Naturally it's only one note at a time, but you might be surprised at how easy it is.
Oh yes, she reads from a staff... one note at a time. Some children read books at age 3. Those ones, I'll bet, can read music at a more advanced level for their age as well. That's all I meant. Particularly at this age there is huge variation.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,662 times
Not sure how old your kids are, but...

Good instruments for young kids (under age 10) include piano, violin and recorder. They're easy to play in terms of muscle coordination, skills required, and you can get into music reading and actually start putting the skills together. You don't want to get into something like alto sax or trumpet until it's offered in school (you said 5th grade) because even if they're big enough physically, there's a degree of muscle coordination and mental coordination that needs to be in place, and usually, you're better off waiting until age 10-11 so they'll have a successful experience.

I think one of the most important lessons a musical instrument can teach is the value of regular practice, and setting long-term goals, but this is something that has to be parent-reinforced at times. Some kids are going to practice without being forced and others will not, just like they won't do their math homework without being forced, and I see it no differently. So depending on that particular kid, you may have to put certain requirements/incentives in place to help them realize their ultimate goal, that they CAN become accomplished at their instrument with a little bit of consistent effort.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:50 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
You can see from all the responses that the problem may be a divergent one because there are many good solutions. Exposing very young children to music is problematic because even if they are savant like geniuses, when they grow up they will then become another talented musician like the others.

I would include going to events were live music is played , concerts and performances as part of my child's music education. This alone could help develop their discipline as concerts can vary in length and your child will learn to sit patiently through longer and longer concerts as well as hearing what a real trumpet player sounds like or looks like when they are playing.

I would gage children on how much joy they are getting from the total experience, that being ; the teacher, the instrument, the social contacts, and their enthusiasm when they meet what ever goals their instructors set forth. One of my favorite Jazz musicians ,Sonny Rollins still after earning every award the industry has to offer finds joy in his grueling practice routine. I have also met a few world class talented artist who quit because of the drudgery of having to practice.

There will be many fair weather days when other children invite your child out to play and they will have to decline the invitation due to being a devoted musician. The instrument at this point is not that important . I would probably not make punishments and positive reinforcements part of their music experience. It has to be like skateboarding or other activities that children need no encouragement to excel at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education