Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 AM

553 posts, read 595,987 times

Advertisements

When thou studiest Shakespeare
He yet cometh to thee
In the tongue of the sixteenth century.

Since the 1950s there has been a new version of the Bible in todays English come out every year--yet the most Bible-oriented churches still prefer the King James Version of 1611. There has never been a Revised Standard Shakespeare, or a New International Shakespeare, or a Today's English Shakespeare. At any rate no modern versions of Shakespeare have ever caught on. Shakespeare remains the Marine Corps of Academia: 400 years of Tradition unhampered by Progress.

If thou wouldst learn the Bard
Thou must study hard.

Do the students who complete Bard Boot Camp believe it worth the effort to master what has become nearly a foreign language?

Last edited by CAllenDoudna; 08-08-2014 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: to correct 400 year to 400 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Yes.

Shakespeare isn't just a dramatist. He's also a poet. When you study Shakespeare, you don't just study the character development, or the dramatic metaphors, you are engulfed in a rhythm of language. That rhythm is the antecedent to many modern artforms, such as rap.

So it's definitely worth the effort.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes.

Shakespeare isn't just a dramatist. He's also a poet. When you study Shakespeare, you don't just study the character development, or the dramatic metaphors, you are engulfed in a rhythm of language. That rhythm is the antecedent to many modern artforms, such as rap.

So it's definitely worth the effort.
I agree. It is the complete package. I loved doing Shakespeare with my kids--when I taught in a public school setting..

Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM

214 posts, read 230,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
When thou studiest Shakespeare
He yet cometh to thee
In the tongue of the sixteenth century.

Since the 1950s there has been a new version of the Bible in todays English come out every year--yet the most Bible-oriented churches still prefer the King James Version of 1611. There has never been a Revised Standard Shakespeare, or a New International Shakespeare, or a Today's English Shakespeare. At any rate no modern versions of Shakespeare have ever caught on. Shakespeare remains the Marine Corps of Academia: 400 years of Tradition unhampered by Progress.

If thou wouldst learn the Bard
Thou must study hard.

Do the students who complete Bard Boot Camp believe it worth the effort to master what has become nearly a foreign language?
To believe it would be progressive to morph Shakespeare's beautiful Old English into our modern day vernacular is to miss the point entirely.

The sole reason for reading Shakespeare is to immerse yourself into the the amazing poetry, allegory, and descriptive symbolism he used in order to convey those wonderful stories. Much would be lost if they were told in plain old everyday modern English.

Sure, to the uninitiated, getting into the rhythm and style of his writing can be a bit daunting at first, and it does require some effort on the reader's part, but once you get "over yon hump" I think you'll find the payoff well worth the effort.

Many of the classics DO require some intellectual investment on the part of a reader in our modern-day West: the works of Homer, for example; or Dante Allegheiri's "Inferno"; or Chaucer's "Cantebury Tales" or of course, "Beauwolf" (which BTW is thought to be perhaps the very first written work of fiction.)

Tweaking ANY of these into modern English for the sole purpose of making them easier to read would be near-heretical; tantamount to white-washing a great work of art.

Besides: if you have trouble reading Willie the Shakes, just watch those plays on DVD; most of them have even been converted into movies. Most of his works were meant to be viewed as theater, anyway.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
I like Shakespeare but I wouldn't study him. We had to compare Romeo and Juliet to West Side Story. That was so hard. I fail to see why the Eng Lit people make such a big deal about it.

"'tis not so deep as a well nor so wide as a church door but 'tis enough." That is a great line.

We live in a world with bigger and more complicated issues.

There is more to think about in Larry Niven's The Mote in God's Eye.

Shakespeare is just antiquated English tradition.

psik

Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I like Shakespeare but I wouldn't study him. We had to compare Romeo and Juliet to West Side Story. That was so hard. I fail to see why the Eng Lit people make such a big deal about it.

"'tis not so deep as a well nor so wide as a church door but 'tis enough." That is a great line.

We live in a world with bigger and more complicated issues.

There is more to think about in Larry Niven's The Mote in God's Eye.

Shakespeare is just antiquated English tradition.

psik
I don't think Niven would agree with you. After all, Shakespeare is about the drama of the human condition, and that doesn't change. Also, a 10-second search returned that Niven named one of his anthologies after a line from Romeo and Juliet: Inconstant Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

One of the things that attracts me to Niven is his anthropological science fiction. That is not sovery different to Shakespeare but with a different audience, format, and language.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
People still love the KJV frankly because it's beautiful. Try reading Begat by David Crystal for an understanding of the attraction. http://www.amazon.com/Begat-James-Bi.../dp/B00C2HC12E

It's the same reason people still read Shakespeare in the original Middle English.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:18 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Thou receiveth a rep point for thy title.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
People still love the KJV frankly because it's beautiful. Try reading Begat by David Crystal for an understanding of the attraction. Amazon.com: Begat: The King James Bible and the English Language (9780199585854): David Crystal: Books

It's the same reason people still read Shakespeare in the original Middle English.
Shakespeare did not write in middle English. His language is called early modern English

Are Shakespeare's works written in Old English?

Quote:
By about 1450, Middle English was replaced with Early Modern English, the language of Shakespeare, which is almost identical to contemporary English.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 PM

104 posts, read 95,655 times
Not really sure what you're getting at. Great as Shakespeare was, his writings aren't the Bible, and they weren't intended to be - more specifically, the newer/easier translations of the Bible were written to be more reader-friendly so that more people seeking to understand the Word of God might be able to. Most people reading Shakespeare *voluntarily* don't need or want it to be watered-down.

Of course, not all people who read Shakespeare do so voluntarily, and for them, there is indeed a "New International Shakespeare", as it were - several of them, most notably Sparknotes' No Fear Shakespeare series. Original words on the left, 21st century words in the right. It's been a gift for many of us who actually chose to read the texts instead of going Sparknotes all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education