Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:30 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Algebra in 8th grade or is it really Pre-Algebra, which is usually the norm for most kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Algebra in 8th grade or is it really Pre-Algebra, which is usually the norm for most kids?
My kids took algebra. As mpheels said, it was the "advanced" subset of kids. The next year, they took geometry. By the time the 2nd one was in 8th grade, some kids were actually taking geometry in 8th.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:39 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My kids took algebra. As mpheels said, it was the "advanced" subset of kids. The next year, they took geometry. By the time the 2nd one was in 8th grade, some kids were actually taking geometry in 8th.

That's kind of what I was pointing at, Algebra in 8th is still considered "advanced" most places. That still puts the kid in Calculus AB (assuming he has to take Pre-Cal as a prerequisite) his Senior year.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But my question was about it being taught in 8th grade.

A poster said grade 8 is the goal... I said grade 8 is the norm in my area (NOT grade 7!). And others concurred with grade 8.
No, Algebra in 8th grade is not the norm across the US.
Algebra is typically your 9th grade Math

Algebra in 8th grade here (Texas) is considered accelerated Math.

The goal is that Algebra in 8th grade is the norm in all schools across the US.

http://www.nctm.org/about/content.aspx?id=40258
As recently as 20 years ago, most students took algebra in the ninth grade. Students who showed exceptional talent in mathematics might be offered the opportunity to take it in the eighth grade. In many schools today, algebra in the eighth grade is the norm, and students identified by some predetermined standard can complete the course in seventh grade. Algebra courses are even stratified as “honors” algebra and “regular” algebra at both of these grade levels. The variation in course names leads one to wonder about the level of rigor.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
Thank goodness for Homeschooling! I can teach Algebra when my child is ready, not when someone else says!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
I think it is more than just teaching Algebra early, it's redefining what "algebra" is. My daughter started doing "algebra" in the 1st grade. As soon as she started doing addition she started getting simple algebra problems.

In addition to questions like:

3 + 2 = ?

she would also get:

3 + ? = 5

She never had any problems getting the concept, and every student in her class met the standards by the end of the year. In many ways I think it makes sense to spend more time on concepts and less on rote memorization, since the basic calculator on any phone can cover whatever anyone would learn from memorization. What it can't do is understand the concepts for you.

In some ways I suspect the problems are more with the parents than with the methods. Years ago I taught test prep and would work with some of the more involved parents - many had issues teaching their kids the math sections. We weren't doing anything differently from classic styles of teaching, it was just that the parents had to relearn things like coordinate geometry and would get frustrated.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,911 times
I learned algebra in the 5th grade formally. Also with an attitude that doesn't value the power of mathematics your devaluing your children's future. I think everyone at minimum should learn calculus, and not just how to solve the problems, but what the formulas can be used for in practicality.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I figure the average person should be able to count change and balance a check book.
Not really, since it looks like the average person is going to be out of a job. (109 million Americans are on some form of means-tested government assistance. Already.) You should be striving for above average. It's your kid!

Quote:
I also notice there isn't much of a push for reading, which gets used about every day. My kids have PE once a week, I had it every day.
That's terrible. Give them some books to read, and encourage them to play a sport.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Not really, since it looks like the average person is going to be out of a job. (109 million Americans are on some form of means-tested government assistance. Already.) You should be striving for above average. It's your kid!
A good parent will encourage their child to do the best that they can, not keep pushing them to do better than they're able to. If that means your kid is "average," you aren't a failure as a parent, nor is your child a failure. They've given their best effort, and it just makes everyone miserable if you keep pushing them for more.

I wish the attitude to push for more and better weren't so prevalent. I'd rather my kid be awesomely happy and content doing something "average," than struggling, mediocre and unhappy doing something "advanced."

Average isn't bad. It's the norm, the median, the sweet spot right in the middle.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I look at my kids common core math. It seems like there is a big push for advanced math, Algebra taught in third grade. I can't see where in their life, my kids will ever use such math. Anyone care to tell me about your job that requires so much math..........
Sure.
I used it just yesterday to calculate the angles needed for a piece of trim I was replacing on the deck.

I used it in my working life (I'm retired) as a salesman when I wanted to talk with the engineering staff about a design change to a device based on the Wheatstone Bridge principle.

I used it when I perform a fundamental analysis of stocks I am holding in my portfolio - the portfolio I managed to cobble together as a result of acquiring math skills and getting myself promoted.

I use it daily when I work out the Sudoku puzzle.

I used it when I was 17. It got me into the advanced electronics school when I joined the navy in 1963. Things are not less complicated now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education