Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To run a business or even an engineering department, no.

What the hey? I'm not the one saying that! I have not made one post that asserts that. (Responding as Cleonidas was responding to me [above] and you responded to her as if I think Texas is teaching evolution and who knows what else.)
Allow me to correct-I meant creationism, not evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I agree, and I'm Catholic as well (nominally at least). Catholics never struck me as the literalists that the Baptists and Pentacostals are. I never understand how people can believe everything in the Bible is to be taken literally when one book will completely contradict another book.

I went to a Baptist school for my senior year of high school back in the '80s. When we got our brand new geography textbooks, the teacher told us to mark out the introductory paragraph because it referenced the Big Bang Theory. When I told her I believed in evolution and the Big Bang theory, or at least that I was open to the ideas and still could believe in God, she told me that the Earth is only 7,000 years old and the Bible was written by God so every word was true.

We have those people here, but I believe the vast majority aren't like that.
Hey, hey, now... I grew up in non-SBC Baptist schools in a non-SBC Baptist family and never experienced anything like that. Won a couple of science fairs in middle school though...

See, it works like this: Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the messiah, protestants don't recognize the pope as the head of the church and Baptists do not recognize eachother in the liquor store.

Seriously though, another tenet of the Baptist faith is that every congregation is completely autonomous and under no obligation or direction from any organizational body. In other words, every single Baptist church is going to be very different and will essentially have the disposition of the pastor and the congregation... Unless they are affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, which is more of a political platform than anything else these days.

I go to church and bible study afterwards, but no one is getting anywhere near my kids with the 6,000 year old earth lesson. I've met and had discussions with people who seriously refused to accept that humans are apes, that mammals descended from synapsid reptile ancestors, that there was a lot more time between the first dinosaurs and the last T-Rex than there was between the last T-Rex and the first modern humans... But I'm sure they didn't get that way because of the Texas educational system.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'd say the public school should not teach any creation myths, and they don't at my kids' school. If they teach the myths, they teach them as myths or religious teachings in English (Greek Mythology) or Social Studies (religions of the world).
Yea, that's why I think comparative religion would be a good class to teach. It could touch on the main current religions, newly developing ones, extinct ones and discuss atheism and agnosticism. Put them into context of the human race, not just a part of the human race living at a particular zipcode. For example, most people in the world are not Christians.

The religious right wanting to teach all the "alternatives" would love this idea of course. So the plan is, "ok we'll teach creationism in the new comparative religions class."

Old 09-24-2014, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea, that's why I think comparative religion would be a good class to teach. It could touch on the main current religions, newly developing ones, extinct ones and discuss atheism and agnosticism. Put them into context of the human race, not just a part of the human race living at a particular zipcode. For example, most people in the world are not Christians.

The religious right wanting to teach all the "alternatives" would love this idea of course.
There's a thread on the religion forum about this right now. Did you not take such a course? I did in Jr. high, I don't remember if it was 7th or 8th grade; it was not an elective. My kids also studied world religions in high school.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Creationism is just the start: How right-wing Christians are warping America’s schools - Salon.com

...a group of 10 scholars in politics and history examined the proposed textbooks and found that they were stuffed full of lies and distortions, intended to trick students into believing right-wing myths about government, racism and whether or not America is supposed to be a “Christian nation.â€

I work for a school district and I'm in and out of classrooms all day long. I've heard some of this being taught in class and respectfully call the teachers out on it. It's amazing how those teachers stick to what's said in the book even if they don't agree with it. They have to teach it because that's what's in the book.

America is falling behind in education and this is one reason why. If we are going to compete globally we need to take it seriously instead of looking the other way while this kind of stuff goes on. Otherwise we'll become a third world theocratic society and no one wants that. Well, no one with any sense that is.
I say in the past we did much better. with tradition nation was founded on. But I agree let individual states decide as constitution gave the states. Some want more anti-religion; others want to keep tradition of religion and not whatever turns you on.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I went to a Catholic school. We learned about Darwin and evolution in Science and Genesis in Religion.
In religion we discussed their compatibility and to this day I still remember it.
One day in the biblical sense can equate to thousands of years if not more.

In the Bible each "day" represented a span of evolution.
And in the Bible the last creation by God was man.

And this was a Catholic school, not afraid to teach both and not afraid to discuss and find how they could coexist in your mind.

It's the extremists at either end that cannot accept both.
The Catholic religion teaches that evolution is not necessarily in conflict with the Genesis account, and it is completely fine for believers to accept it.

I have absolutely no problem with science books teaching evolution, but I do have a problem with them teaching it with no proof. Showing that each species has evolved over time is not proof for evolution from one species to another. Talking about similarity in DNA is also not proof as we have no idea why DNA is so similar.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There's a thread on the religion forum about this right now. Did you not take such a course? I did in Jr. high, I don't remember if it was 7th or 8th grade; it was not an elective. My kids also studied world religions in high school.
I didn't go to school in this country.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The Catholic religion teaches that evolution is not necessarily in conflict with the Genesis account, and it is completely fine for believers to accept it.

I have absolutely no problem with science books teaching evolution, but I do have a problem with them teaching it with no proof. Showing that each species has evolved over time is not proof for evolution from one species to another. Talking about similarity in DNA is also not proof as we have no idea why DNA is so similar.
Yes, why does every living being on this planet have DNA as its genetic information (or RNA for the few). Its a big mystery. Its like they all came from a single common ancestor or something ridiculous like that.

If you believe that there is a God, and that he intends for things to happen, directs them, or just sets them in motion, then clearly evolution was his tool for the diversity of life. What a spectacular, intricate, brilliant fantastic mechanism He created - its genius! He gave us dinosaurs with feathers - but we only just found them recently, his miracles are slowly revealing themselves. He gave whales hand bones when they would never grip or walk again in the sea, and made them breathe air because they came from land ancestors - not like the fish who breathe the oxygen in the water. He set up a mechanism that would lead to new dominant species as the environment changed dramatically. So, so clever.

Plus, how could evolution not happen once he'd set up self-replicating molecules that encode information but sometimes mutate? If genes (singular and in combination) can control shape, color, size, length, and more and more as is increasingly being understood, and occasional mutations occur in the DNA passed onto to each generation (no-one denies that), how is it possible that what turns out to be advantageous mutations (and the accompanying physical and physiological changes) not be carried forward. (This is a numbers game of course, any one individual with an advantageous characteristic could simply get run down by a woolly mammoth for example before they bred). The only way it could not happen if is something magically stopped it.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Taking something that is happening in Texas and applying it to the whole country is silly at best. There is a reason they say it is another country.
Except it's not silly. Many textbooks are written for Texas and sold nationwide, because Texas and California are the biggest markets

Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Except it's not silly. Many textbooks are written for Texas and sold nationwide, because Texas and California are the biggest markets
When this goes to print, feel free to panic.

*hint - it's not going to happen*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education