Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
High Schools often push students to take the AP test just so they can show that a large percentage of kids taking them. In our HS, senior students often do not take AP tests in something they will major in because it will be a waste of time and effort. That is, if you are going to be a biology major, your college will often want you to take THEIR bio 101 class and not pass out of it with a High School AP class. I know engineering students that didn't take the AP calc test because they wanted to make sure they had a firm foundation in calculus in college and wanted to start off freshman year with a good GPA, so they took Calc 101 even though they had done well in calc in HS. By late winter of senior year any college bound student will know where they've been accepted and will also know what AP classes their college will take. Besides the reasons stated above, many colleges will only take so many AP classes so again, no point in taking (and paying for) a test that won't be accepted.

So, maybe it's common in your son's HS, Sawdustmaker, to ask all students that are doing well in a bio class to take the AP test, especially if they are underclassman, although it doesn't really make sense because the scores would end up being low. I'm still scratching my head over this situation.
Agree with the bold. Even 15+ years ago, when my oldest was in HS, this was the case. A lot of times, also, colleges will give credit for some lower level course, which you get to count as an elective, but not for courses that will comprise a student's major.

As for the statement "AP classes will be taught at the same pace as a first- or second-year college-level curriculum", that was not my kids' experience. For example, a course like AP bio would run a full year, yet be worth only 1 semester of college credit from most colleges. These are high school students, not college students. My kids' HS had an AP chem class that could also be taken for credit at the U of CO, and they gave 1 semester's worth of credit for this year long course. Lest anyone think that I'm saying AP classes are a waste, not so. Colleges do look at the rigor of a student's high school work, so AP courses can be valuable in their own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
In our HS, senior students often do not take AP tests in something they will major in because it will be a waste of time and effort. That is, if you are going to be a biology major, your college will often want you to take THEIR bio 101 class and not pass out of it with a High School AP class.
However, it is not always true that colleges won't take AP credit for a student's major.

I was a math/physics major and my university accepted my Calculus BC and Physics C credits and placed me in higher math and physics right away.

I know that this is only one example and that it may not represent the general mass of college-bound students, but there are many departments in many schools that will be reasonable and understanding, and will not waste your time and money by making you (or your kids) re-learn material that you already know.

Sometimes one has to be proactive and aggressive with the department's administration in order to truly get the credit, but in my experience it has worked well in the students' favor many times.

Still, one ought to be cautious and aware.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 PM

I seem to recall while researching requirements for admission to med school that many of them will not accept an AP course from high school in place of the basic science courses.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:13 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I seem to recall while researching requirements for admission to med school that many of them will not accept an AP course from high school in place of the basic science courses.

Most don't. Some schools don't accept any AP credit. Most schools do, but usually not in the students' major.

In fact, with the push for AP the last 10 years many colleges are casting a skeptical eye at the scores and have increased the minimum score needed for exemption/credit.

Have I mentioned that being on terminal sick leave with retirement slated at the end of the month makes me glad I don't have to deal with this **** anymore?

Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most don't. Some schools don't accept any AP credit. Most schools do, but usually not in the students' major.

In fact, with the push for AP the last 10 years many colleges are casting a skeptical eye at the scores and have increased the minimum score needed for exemption/credit.

Have I mentioned that being on terminal sick leave with retirement slated at the end of the month makes me glad I don't have to deal with this **** anymore?
Sorry to hear that you're sick!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM

649 posts, read 815,972 times
I got something like 11 college credits for my AP Bio score of 5. A full year of bio + labs. This was in my major but didn't really do me any favors as I was a full time student paying for full time credits, not a la carte credits. It advanced one piece of my puzzle by one year but didn't get me other prerequisites that I needed to take 2nd level courses so it is not like I was able to jump into my higher level neuro classes as a freshman, since they required inorganic chemistry too, which I had not taken AP (but had taken over the summer at a local college but only got a C so it didn't transfer.) It just made my freshman year a little lighter. AP English was different and got me 6 credits, it did allow me to immediately take second level courses and get done with my (second) english major earlier. My other AP (2 history) just wiped out some electives that were required and allowed me room for a triple major.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry to hear that you're sick!
Thanks. Not really "sick" per se. I'd DM you but I'm blocked.

Let's just say that I still have all my faculties, physical and mental, and just got fed up.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Thanks. Not really "sick" per se. I'd DM you but I'm blocked.

Let's just say that I still have all my faculties, physical and mental, and just got fed up.
Fixed!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 PM

709 posts, read 765,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
He does, during his senior year when he can choose an elective science.
Granted I went to high school a long time ago, and curriculums have changed, but no one went right into AP Biology back then. We were all required to take basic biology to graduate, but you could take the AP course as an elective junior or senior year. I didn't take it, but I think the AP course expounded on material from basic biology.

Likewise with physics - I couldn't just go right into AP physics. I took regular high school physics, and was then able to take the AP course my senior year.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
However, it is not always true that colleges won't take AP credit for a student's major.

I was a math/physics major and my university accepted my Calculus BC and Physics C credits and placed me in higher math and physics right away.

I know that this is only one example and that it may not represent the general mass of college-bound students, but there are many departments in many schools that will be reasonable and understanding, and will not waste your time and money by making you (or your kids) re-learn material that you already know.

Sometimes one has to be proactive and aggressive with the department's administration in order to truly get the credit, but in my experience it has worked well in the students' favor many times.

Still, one ought to be cautious and aware.
This is pretty variable. My son is a math major and his school gave him credit for AP Calc but he has friends who are business majors at other schools who did not get credit for it even though they did well on the exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education