Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 PM

407 posts, read 800,303 times

Advertisements

Liberalism dumbs down education - AGAIN

The state should instead require schools to improve at a faster rate, the report says.

One way to do that would be for schools to change their graduation requirements and spend LESS TIME ON ACADEMICS alone; they should teach more "soft skills" such as how to be punctual, persistent and work well in groups - all valuable "if California wants to truly prepare its students for life beyond high school," says the report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 03:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I don't think they are allowed to say the Pledge of Allegiance in most schools now, because it doesn't include other nations, and foreigners are offended.
I was offended by it in 1983, because it asked me to pledge allegiance to a symbol, when my full allegiance should have been sworn ONLY to God.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I firmly believe that our schools went to hell in a handbasket about the time that the hippies and peace lovers had kids and started putting them in school.

Peace, Love, and no, you won't disciplin my child when he/she misbehaves in school. They gave up the authority of the teachers and staff. Unbeknown to them, they gave up the authority as a parent too.

It's about the same time that PC started up.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:48 PM

221 posts, read 994,263 times
^
Excellent points!

I can tell you as a teacher.....when the gov't decided to butt into my classroom, that's when I said, Oh, we're in trouble.

When the former flower children said, "Oh, ALL kids need to be treated the same! You'll hurt their feeeeeelings if they are last picked to be on the team ( and, BTW, dodgeball/tag/jumprope/swings/slides/ running are too deadly, anyway- have no idea how I survived childhood) or kid X is not picked for varsity (even though he is sub par), or kid Y does not get the lead in the play (even though they are terrible), or the lazy kid (who does nothing) does not get automatic "A's" in everything. The day we decided to shield kids from the deep lessons learned in life- we short changed everyone. Not everyone wins, or is first, or is the best- and certainly, those who do not work for things deserve what they get. Our standards were so lowered by whiny parents catering to their spoiled, perfect kids. All this putting flowers in your hair, question authority, do not trust anyone over 30, YOU matter MORE than anyone else, it has to feeeeeeeel good into order to do it crap is painful and dull in a book or film. In public education- it's the kiss of death.

My parents and teachers were firm and fair, but made no bones about it. I was in school to learn and work. We were not sent to school to creatively express ourselves every second of the day or run through fields of daisies, skipping to Jefferson Airplane songs, and to have FUN. School was a place of work. We did what we needed to do to be successful. Never was I asked "Are you feeling like learning Trig today, sweetie?? Because if you are not, we will simply discuss how we FEEL about math today." And, when I was struggling with Algebra- my parents did not sue the teachers/school, alert the media, nor did they put me into therapy. They said, get to work, and work harder. I assure you, no one was asking us if we felt good about ourselves, who victimized us today, or how did we "express" ourselves in our unique, special way????? It was "get to work, kid!"

We lowered the bar, and kids rose to the standard.

LOL, yes, schools went down the drain when I graduated! That's cute.

Things were expected of us. Snotty, rude, disruptive, disrespectful kids were not tolerated. We may have thought evil thoughts about our teachers, but we silently grumbled about them- and listened. We didn't have this outrageous sense of entitlement that kids are raised with now. Shame. I still think this is the greatest country in the history of the world, and there are so many amazing things to be done here. America is still the shining city on the hill. I've seen too much of the rest of the world to believe otherwise. Public schools need to stop pandering to these idiots who want to disrupt the classrooms with their personal agendas (Michael Newdow). Get outta my classroom, federal gov't and let me teach the kids!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
In 1621, in the general meeting house at Plymouth Colony where Mrs. Harrison was teaching the children how to read, a group of parents were in the back of the room whispering among themselves.

A couple of them wanted to take their children and teach them at home because Mrs. Harrison used other books besides the Bible.

Some thought that the Bible shouldn't be used at all in the school. They got plenty of that in Church. But they wanted Mrs. Bradshaw to teach the class like she did on the boat, because since they landed and Mrs. Harrison took over, the children's education had gone downhill.

Mrs. Smith was just happy to have a place to send the kids, because she had a turkey to roast and cranberry sauce to make, and she didn't know what to do with all that damned corn the Indians kept bringing.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 03-04-2008 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Being a product of catholic schools, I cannot weigh in on public schools back then (70s). But I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the way that the schools now have handled my son's handwriting disability. I think kids are less likely to slip through the cracks like in the old days in regards to ADD and ADHD and minor learning disabilities. You either got your kid a tutor yourself or "oh well".

A sibling had what we would refer to now as ADD / learning disability for sure! They just struggled and struggled not through lack of trying either. Nowadays in a good district, this would not happen. I saw many kids in the 70s slip through the cracks.

Our school is doing a pretty good job - however, I can see that there are definitely flaws in "teaching to the test" mentality. And the fact that there are so many deadbeat parents nowadays that leave the discipline up to the school. They don't back up the teacher when their kid acts like a little monster. One poster had it right - the difference in the kids is the difference that the parents help the kids out.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Being a product of catholic schools, I cannot weigh in on public schools back then (70s). But I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the way that the schools now have handled my son's handwriting disability. I think kids are less likely to slip through the cracks like in the old days in regards to ADD and ADHD and minor learning disabilities. You either got your kid a tutor yourself or "oh well".

A sibling had what we would refer to now as ADD / learning disability for sure! They just struggled and struggled not through lack of trying either. Nowadays in a good district, this would not happen. I saw many kids in the 70s slip through the cracks.

Our school is doing a pretty good job - however, I can see that there are definitely flaws in "teaching to the test" mentality. And the fact that there are so many deadbeat parents nowadays that leave the discipline up to the school. They don't back up the teacher when their kid acts like a little monster. One poster had it right - the difference in the kids is the difference that the parents help the kids out.
But nowadays, isn't ADD/ADHD overdiagnosed in children who are just being...children? The diagnosis 40 years ago might have been..."that's just the way kids are"?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 AM

98 posts, read 325,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I firmly believe that our schools went to hell in a handbasket about the time that the hippies and peace lovers had kids and started putting them in school.

Peace, Love, and no, you won't disciplin my child when he/she misbehaves in school. They gave up the authority of the teachers and staff. Unbeknown to them, they gave up the authority as a parent too.

It's about the same time that PC started up.
I agree with this too. Although I only got licks in school for running. I was never that bad lol

and about the pledge of allegiance I think we gave the pledge in kindergarten and first grade.....maybe second and third im not sure........1983 was 3rd grade for me......wow!! i cant remember if we did the pledge or not. I DO know we did it in 1980 and 81.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM

221 posts, read 994,263 times
Yes, and this must be stopped immediately! Pretty soon, one of those dreaded "minorities" will think they can do anything- such as run for President! What are they thinking!?

I know I always tried to discourage the minority kids in my classes to stop achieving, producing, striving for excellence, being great role models, making it to the top of the class- how dare they......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerblaine View Post
It started to go downhill when minorites started rising in numbers.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
Yes, and this must be stopped immediately! Pretty soon, one of those dreaded "minorities" will think they can do anything- such as run for President! What are they thinking!?

I know I always tried to discourage the minority kids in my classes to stop achieving, producing, striving for excellence, being great role models, making it to the top of the class- how dare they......
Excellent point, Oldie!!! These things must be nipped- in- the- bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education