Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 03:03 PM

275 posts, read 332,263 times

Advertisements

I have a very serious problem that prevent me from remembering what I read in textbooks. It is really taking a toll on my mental state.

Math has always been the hardest for me, because I forget how to calculate formulas. I write all the questions and answers on a notebook to have as a resource, but with exams we are not allowed to bring notebooks.

I'm taking a remedial math course now in college, and while I do learn how to do them at the moment, for some reason I later forget. I've had to be backtracked a few times because I forget how to calculate formulas.

I can do the problems on a regular non-exam day, but that's because I have my notebook as a resource on how to calculate formulas.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Can you make a mental picture of what you have read?

For math,
1. Have your pencil in your hand and do problems while you are reading the textbook.

Read a section of the chapter. Then close the book and hide your notes.
Recite what you remember out loud.
Review the section.
Practice more problems - try them without your notes and book

2. Think of examples from your life that pertain to the formulas. Do this as you read the textbook. Apply the formulas to real life problems.

3. Visualize the ideas that connect.

4. Test yourself. Then look at the errors and figure out what you did incorrectly.

5. Process and summarize your notes rather than leaving them as they are. Do not try to memorize the process. Learn the concept so that you could derive the formulas if you need them.

6. Don't cram

7. Create your own math dictionary so you really understand the terms.

Try Khan Academy for the things you have difficulty with.

Try Sheila Tobias's Overcoming Math Anxiety book.
Overcoming Math Anxiety: Sheila Tobias: 9780393313079: Amazon.com: Books

There is a good workbook, but it is expensive to buy new. It has a CD rom with it.
Abe books has it very cheap:
Conquering Math Anxiety (with CD-ROM) by Arem, Cynthia A.: Brooks Cole 9780534386344 PAPERBACK - Little Caroline's Books

Old 02-19-2015, 04:35 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
So you're not even allowed a formula sheet for the exam? I know a lot of schools do allow that so maybe talk to your prof and see exactly what is allowed. But I assume you've done that so maybe talk to the prof anyway and see if he has any suggestions. What I've found with my students is that if they're struggling with math, it's probably because they didn't master a basic skill that they learned earlier, like order of operations for example.

And, this isn't so much for math, but I've found that if I repeat something out loud, I'm more likely to remember it, and I'm not even an auditory learner. I'm the opposite in fact, but it works for me and may work for you. One conclusion that I've drawn about memory though is that we're all strong in some areas and weak in others, but interest has a lot to do with it--I will remember something the rest of my life if it interests me enough but if not I'll forget it quickly. Also, if you don't have prior knowledge of something to "hang" your new memory on, it will get lost. One thing that works for that is to get the framework set up--the overview of the topic that is, and then start arranging new information on that framework.

Children's non-fiction picture books work very well for this purpose. Like, let's say you're starting to learn about cells in biology--go get a children's book about cells and study the info in there carefully--make sure you have it all down and study the pix too. Then when you go beyond that, you'll know where to hang the new knowledge. While you're at it, learn what kind of learner you are--are you more visual, auditory or kinesthetic? Do pictures really help you learn stuff, or is reading about it better? Don't let this limit you though--I'm visual first, kinesthetic second and dead last on auditory, but that little trick of saying things out loud really helps me remember. Oh and get to be best friends with your library--no need to buy those children's picture books.

And nana, I love Khan Academy! If I had time I'd go learn calculus, but alas, I do not have that time.

Last edited by stepka; 02-19-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education