Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 09:54 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times

Advertisements

I noticed the annual livestock show is going on and the young people are busy showing the animal they've taken care of for months reminded me of years ago when my son was a member of FFA, Future Farmers of America, not that anyone had to become a farmer. The boys who belong to FFA may never be farmers, but the school furnishes facilities for their animals to be kept.

My son raised a pig and it was quite small in the beginning. A piglet. Eventually, she was huge. He became very fond of the sow and enjoyed caring for her. When the time came to show her to the visitors, he knew she wouldn't be around much longer. The show means buyers will be in the audience and will make offers. A well known meat packing company bought his pig and he was sad about it for a long time and told me not to buy any products from that company. He was afraid we might be eating his pet if we bought that brand of hotdogs, for instance.

I wouldn't be surprised if I learned he still thinks about it when he sees that brand, but I'm sure he realizes there wouldn't be any part of his pet still available in any products.

Did you belong to FFA and raise an animal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 04:08 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,852 times
I've never known an FFA to function like this...
The ones I've known are basically like FBLA or FCCLA in that they're a civic organization of sorts, kids learn public speaking, parli-pro, persuasive writing, range judging and management, animal judging/management, etc.
But they're expected to have their own funds and facilities if they're going to be raising livestock...

Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I noticed the annual livestock show is going on and the young people are busy showing the animal they've taken care of for months reminded me of years ago when my son was a member of FFA, Future Farmers of America, not that anyone had to become a farmer. The boys who belong to FFA may never be farmers, but the school furnishes facilities for their animals to be kept.

My son raised a pig and it was quite small in the beginning. A piglet. Eventually, she was huge. He became very fond of the sow and enjoyed caring for her. When the time came to show her to the visitors, he knew she wouldn't be around much longer. The show means buyers will be in the audience and will make offers. A well known meat packing company bought his pig and he was sad about it for a long time and told me not to buy any products from that company. He was afraid we might be eating his pet if we bought that brand of hotdogs, for instance.

I wouldn't be surprised if I learned he still thinks about it when he sees that brand, but I'm sure he realizes there wouldn't be any part of his pet still available in any products.

Did you belong to FFA and raise an animal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I've never known an FFA to function like this...
The ones I've known are basically like FBLA or FCCLA in that they're a civic organization of sorts, kids learn public speaking, parli-pro, persuasive writing, range judging and management, animal judging/management, etc.
But they're expected to have their own funds and facilities if they're going to be raising livestock...
In my part of the country FFA was open to both boys and girls for at least the last 50 or 60 years.

Also, your animals were kept at your own, or a friend's farm, never in a school owned facility.

Only the top, top animals, such as the Grand Champion animals at the state fair were sold for food by huge companies. Sometimes, the prices were in the tens of thousands of dollars.

The regular FFA animals was just sold to the local slaughter house for the usual price of a few hundred dollars.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 PM

Our FFA usually has more girls than boys lol

Old 03-13-2015, 06:24 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Our FFA usually has more girls than boys lol
Not sure why that's an LOL. I think the FFA encourages both sexes equally. My husbands sister became an accomplished seamstress through FFA, and they lived in a suburban town. We had an active FFA group at my rural HS and I know the kids raised the animals on their own farms. It's a great organization. National FFA Organization

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Did you read each post in the thread?
It's an "lol" to the OP's comments about "the boys" in FFA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education