Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAO121330 View Post
I'm seeking input from others that may be in a similar situation.
Our kids are enrolled in a great private school. We, the parents, have jobs that allow us to be very flexible most of the time in our work. The teachers are the absolute greatest and welcome us to visit and participate as much as possible. We return the favor by inviting them to our home for fun and social events. It is becoming apparent that the owner of the school is overwhelmed. The owner insists on maintaining sole ownership (without a board of directors). The teachers are treated badly including several labor violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
These are not the signs of a "great school." They are signs of a shady private venture with no oversight, where turning a profit is often the priority at the expense of quality education. Depressingly common among the new breed of "independent" schools. Teachers who are "the absolute greatest" will not continue to stick around in schools where they are not treated well, for the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAO121330 View Post
We recently held a social event where we invited the teachers to come over. Prior to our event, the teachers were called into a meeting with the school owner and given a warning about coming to our house and threatened with unknown consequences about whatever talked about. As a result of this meeting, we did not have a very big turn out. The only teachers to show up were ones that are not returning next year.

Do I pull my kids out of this great school or leave them in and not be social with the teachers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Overall, inviting teachers over for fun and social events is generally frowned upon, and also falls in a grey area of ethics for teachers, regardless of shady actions of shady administrators. Many programs have policies in place regarding the conflict of interest in socializing with parents/students outside of school.
TabulaRasa makes some great points.

You did not say what type of social event you invited the teachers to but it is hard to imagine any type of event where it would be appropriate to invite your children's teachers. Most schools are very strict on not allowing any out of school contact. I once had a woman who was more than an acquaintance but less than a close friend whose child transferred into my classroom. We had to put our friendship & socializing on hold until the end of the year when her daughter left my classroom. Of course, this may be different in small towns or in some circumstances but basically socializing is frowned on as it may hurt the professional relationship that a teacher has with a student and their parents.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-28-2015 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
Maybe it's because I didn't go to private school but I've never heard parents hold social events for teachers
I went to private school and have never heard of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education