Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

I heard this on the radio this morning:

Memorial Day, 3pm. Don't Forget. - Forbes

3 PM is the "Moment of Silence". School should be out by then.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
Having just come back from a Memorial day event where there were three kids under 18, I think that perhaps all kids should be in school on Memorial day with the whole day focused on what Memorial day really means. Honest to goodness, the majority of the people at the event I went to was populated by people 70 years and older. geez.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
My followup post somehow did not reply. After some research turns out that the opening of school on
Memorial Day is mandated by State Statue in North Carolina and the opening is in compliance with law
which I obey ,but in this case sadly.
Quote:
I personally recognize the law although a Viet Nam partially disabled vet my daughter considers this form of discnnected reasoning or breach in authority and is repulsed by it even more after I presented the states mandate? So my grandbaby will not go to school period! What the government will do next is eliminate Christmas once the Muslims get in a dither and insist we bow to their moon god!....really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Having just come back from a Memorial day event where there were three kids under 18, I think that perhaps all kids should be in school on Memorial day with the whole day focused on what Memorial day really means. Honest to goodness, the majority of the people at the event I went to was populated by people 70 years and older. geez.
That's because they didn't have school! lol

Used to be that Columbus Day was a day off work/school. Now it's school as usual with "appropriate exercises", whatever that means.

Where I live, the Monday after Thanksgiving is a day off school. Why?, you ask. Because it's the first day of deer season. Despite the necessity of adding days to the school calendar because of inclement weather, no school board has ever dared to decree the First Day of Deer Season a make-up day.

There are many reasons for attending school when required, not the least of which is that it is a teaching moment wherein the students learn that life has rules and you follow them; at least until you can take the necessary steps to change what you feel is unjust.

I don't like the law that says I have to stop at a Stop Sign when there is nothing visible for miles - but I do it because it's a law. When you start breaking the annoying laws, it isn't a huge leap to being a big-time lawbreaker, especially when "Mommy said it was okay." Backed up by Grandpa.

What a tempest in a teapot.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
I personally recognize the law although a Viet Nam partially disabled vet my daughter considers this form of discnnected reasoning or breach in authority and is repulsed by it even more after I presented the states mandate? So my grandbaby will not go to school period! What the government will do next is eliminate Christmas once the Muslims get in a dither and insist we bow to their moon god!....really?
moon god?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
That's because they didn't have school! lol

Used to be that Columbus Day was a day off work/school. Now it's school as usual with "appropriate exercises", whatever that means.

Where I live, the Monday after Thanksgiving is a day off school. Why?, you ask. Because it's the first day of deer season. Despite the necessity of adding days to the school calendar because of inclement weather, no school board has ever dared to decree the First Day of Deer Season a make-up day.

There are many reasons for attending school when required, not the least of which is that it is a teaching moment wherein the students learn that life has rules and you follow them; at least until you can take the necessary steps to change what you feel is unjust.

I don't like the law that says I have to stop at a Stop Sign when there is nothing visible for miles - but I do it because it's a law. When you start breaking the annoying laws, it isn't a huge leap to being a big-time lawbreaker, especially when "Mommy said it was okay." Backed up by Grandpa.

What a tempest in a teapot.
I personally like the first day of hunting season Monday after Thanksgiving. Good day to recuperate after hoards of visitors and days of cooking! I think it could be taken away without a lot of complaints but we don't usually have a snow day before Thanksgiving.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
So how'd it go, OP?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
I have a solution. Start the school year earlier. If you don't use up the snow days, you can end the school year earlier, too.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, now I see that brief mention of a Memorial Day service at a church. It doesn't say "Christian" church, although some groups may hold their services in one. It's not a Christian custom per se. People who know nothing about Christianity are better off not making assumptions about it.

As for the rest of your post, if the entire school district is in session, all of the bold is irrelevant. The Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and other youth groups should all be in school. School gets out by 3 PM; it stays light late these days. This decision was made back in February, 3 months ago. Plenty of time to reschedule for Saturday or Sunday. In my area, ceremonies have been going on all weekend.
I don't know of any non-Christians who have church as part of their religious practices. If you say church, that refers to Christianity. Oh wait, I think Scientologists consider themselves as part of a church. How much do you know about Bahai,Sikhism,Hinduism, Buddism, Judiasm, Islam? They don't have churches and they don't place any decorations on gravesites. Duh.

According to The Baptist Press:

"Because the burial sites were "spruced up" and flowers were placed on the graves as "decorations," the day was called Decoration Day. It would occur anytime in the late spring or early summer. Memorial Day, itself, once popularly called "Decoration Day" by many, grew out of the older observance of southern Christians remembering deceased family and church members.. .

Largely surviving in the rural South as a family event, Decoration Day once was a corporate event for rural churches. The day included such activities as cleaning up the church cemetery, placing fresh flowers on the graves, a sermon by the pastor and a dinner on the ground(s). During the sermon, the pastor would recount how those now buried in the plots influenced the life of the church and provided a positive testimony to current church members. Some rural churches today, particularly in southern Appalachia, still continue the corporate celebration of Decoration Day or its variants ("Cemetery Day").

Decoration Day, whether observed by families or a rural church, is steeped in Christian values and symbolism..
"

Again, you are missing the point of my first post for the third time. I was suggesting that schools should not be in session, for any child. I know that the dilemma for the OP was that her child's school was in session. Perhaps you feel disconnected to the holiday because you have not personally experienced any loss due to war or a non-declared war, such as 9/11. In your case, an additional day of school might prove beneficial.

I can also see how keeping schools open on a federal and state holiday would cause major logistical problems for schools. Public transporation would be running on a more limited holiday schedule and school bus companies would be closed or would demand additional compensation if they had to operate on a holiday. Support personnel, such as groundskeepers, security guards, custodians, and special school safety officers (we have them here, like a branch of the police), would have to work too and their contracts would require overtime pay. Maybe in an underpopulated area where children walk to school or are driven by their parents and custodians and security officers are low-paying hourly jobs, could I see this as a possiblity. We have activities on Sat. and Sun. during the weekend too, including a major air show,fleet week, and a display of WWII tanks and armory from a local museum. But that Monday, Memorial Day, rain or shine is usually more sombre.

When I got to take my children to hear stories told by Vets from various wars (only on Mon., not during the other weekend days) at functions at the numerous museums in my area, or getting to climb into various historic military vehicles, or seeing a B52 up close, let alone visting battleships and an aircraft carrier in active service or our WWII aircraft carrier turned into a museum during fleet week, I think it had more meaning than anything that could be covered in school that day. We also have Veterans Day too, of course, but since it's in November, activities are much more limited because we live in a cold climate.

Last edited by Coney; 05-29-2015 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Our daughter refuses to send our granddaughter school on Memorial Day for patriotic reasons and family plans . This isn't a position that is intended to place blame on our great teachers who also via ordinance report for class. It's simply an example of inexcusable county planning unable to mathimatcally "fit" Memorial Day in the year schedule. It needs another look ya think?
Boycott your child's education; now that is wise; LOL.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I never learned about this Islamic Moon God! Maybe I should have skipped school to hang out with well-informed relatives, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education