Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:24 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

Wait until you see who (last guy asked) knows the answer as to the country we fought for independence.

» VIDEO: Citizens Don’t Know What Country We Seceded From In 1776 Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

You don't really have to tell me if Common Core covers it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:33 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Wait until you see who (last guy asked) knows the answer as to the country we fought for independence.

» VIDEO: Citizens Don’t Know What Country We Seceded From In 1776 Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

You don't really have to tell me if Common Core covers it.
That has nothing to do with Common Core. I'm not a supporter of it because it ignores Cognitive Stages, especially in the early years, but it deals mainly with Math and Language Arts, not History.

The other subjects are to support Common Core by incorporating more math and writing, it has nothing to do with content.

What covers content is aligned curriculum and the American Revolution is covered in every US History one for which I'm aware.

I taught one or another history course for over 30 years at the high school level. Kids in high school not knowing who the US rebelled against predates Common Core by decades.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
These sidewalk savants should give us the shivers.

And, as usual, they giggle over their own cluelessness. And walk away proud of themselves.

I bet they'd get a B+ for their answers. And for heaven's sake doesn't everyone know there are 57 states?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
These sidewalk savants should give us the shivers.

And, as usual, they giggle over their own cluelessness. And walk away proud of themselves.

I bet they'd get a B+ for their answers. And for heaven's sake doesn't everyone know there are 57 states?
What I don't understand is why they always agree to be on camera? Do they know how dumb they are?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
As a Canadian, I will point out that our schools teach quite a bit about US history, as we are so closely intertwined, both politically and socially. Its simple logic that we teach the why, the who, and the when of the way that the two nations developed, on a separate but parallel trajectory.

I find it very interesting that virtually all of the Universities in Canada have a "school of American studies " but in the US there are only 4 that have a department that offers courses specifically about Canada.

Try this. Go into your local library branch, anywhere in the States, and ask the librarian for a book about Canadian history. Be prepared to find that the book was published 20 or 30 years ago. Or is even older.

Canadian students on average, will be more likely to know facts about the US than their American counterparts will. Ask typical American high school students about Canada, and be prepared for blank stares.

Jim B.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:59 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That has nothing to do with Common Core. I'm not a supporter of it because it ignores Cognitive Stages, especially in the early years, but it deals mainly with Math and Language Arts, not History.

The other subjects are to support Common Core by incorporating more math and writing, it has nothing to do with content.

What covers content is aligned curriculum and the American Revolution is covered in every US History one for which I'm aware.

I taught one or another history course for over 30 years at the high school level. Kids in high school not knowing who the US rebelled against predates Common Core by decades.
I agree entirely with this post. There are legitimate reasons why people should oppose the Common Core, but some of the ideas generated by, shall I call it, a certain segment of the political spectrum are simply looney. Common Core has nothing to do with science or social studies beyond stressing various aspects of content area literacy in each subject. It does not specify how this is to be done or what content should be covered in those two areas.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I have a policy against clicking on conspiracy theorist websites.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:37 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times
These people exist for sure, but how many people did they ask to come up with a few dolts who cannot answer their questions?

It was one thing when Jay Leno did it. The Tonight Show was about entertainment. There are few things more entertaining than watching dumb people. When a website with an agenda does it, you need to take it with a grain of salt.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times
Common Core only covers English Language Arts and math, at least in the elementary years (which is where my kids are) so no, it wouldn't explicitly teach this. However, I just asked my kids if they knew the answer, and they did. They just finished 2nd and 4th grades. Not really sure where they picked it up; the 10-year old is highly intelligent and widely read, so I expected that she would know, but the 7-year old is a pretty average kid and while I'm sure she's been exposed to the history at some point, wasn't completely sure if it "stuck" for her. But, she looked at me like she was expecting a trick question or a joke, when I asked, and there was an implied "Duh, Mom" in her tone when she answered.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
As a Canadian, I will point out that our schools teach quite a bit about US history, as we are so closely intertwined, both politically and socially. Its simple logic that we teach the why, the who, and the when of the way that the two nations developed, on a separate but parallel trajectory.

I find it very interesting that virtually all of the Universities in Canada have a "school of American studies " but in the US there are only 4 that have a department that offers courses specifically about Canada.

Try this. Go into your local library branch, anywhere in the States, and ask the librarian for a book about Canadian history. Be prepared to find that the book was published 20 or 30 years ago. Or is even older.

Canadian students on average, will be more likely to know facts about the US than their American counterparts will. Ask typical American high school students about Canada, and be prepared for blank stares.

Jim B.
In a previous video, American high school students in Washington State didn't even know Canada was a country bordering the US. It's pathetic.

The South Park episodes On Demand this week (runs Tuesday to Monday) are 3 Canada episodes. Yesterday, I watched the one about "Canada Appreciation Day." I know almost everything I know about Canada from following/researching professional ice hockey 1979 - 1995 (I liked the western Canadian players) and collecting, attending games there, fishing there, seeing movies, TV shows and news stories and taking a drive there just to look around. I learned next to nothing about Canada in public school and I'm old now so I can't blame the current US school system. I may go back for a visit in Fall 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education