Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Clearly, the poster is unfamiliar with various countries where leadership was seized in a coup by warlords and corrupt military, etc. and run as a dictatorial regime with genocide, rape, ethnic cleansing, etc. if he really thinks that U.S.'s "track record of lying and corruption" really charts, by comparison.

Although, that said, the average tribal member in the U.S. may well have certain founded opinions regarding dictatorial regimes, corrupt military, genocide, rape, and ethnic cleansing, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 03:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Whatever you do, don't give out a blank map of the United States, and ask anyone, of any educational background, to fill in the names of the states. I've seen PhDs and medical students with barely a clue about the identities of many of the midwestern/western states..

Old 07-13-2015, 03:41 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,040 times
So im assuming everyone remembers all the math,chemistry,science they took in school here too?

Old 07-13-2015, 04:03 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
So im assuming everyone remembers all the math,chemistry,science they took in school here too?
I remember a good deal of math (algebra, calculus, trigonometry) and find that whatever I forgot (like some formulas) come back very quickly once I start explaining it to my kids. I guess memorizing wasn't as bad as they said it was.

I remember physics pretty well, chemistry and biology not that well, but I didn't like chemistry to begin with.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:20 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Well I have no way of knowing what facts other people know, but I am personally upset that I don't know some things such as:

When and why the Spanish Inquisition happened;
What part of history Napoleon, Attila the Hun, Rasputin, Joan of Arc, etc were a part of, and why;
Which US President was in office during each war (I know the most recent ones, but not Vietnam and prior);
What D-Day was about;
What's up with George Washington, supposed wooden teeth, and the legend about chopping down a cherry tree.
I don't know much about the ancient Mongolian Empire;
Why is Spanish spoken in both Spain and Mexico? They're pretty far away from each other.
Etc.

I do know that Benjamin Franklin was NOT a US President. Haha. Some people think he was.
On all but "I don't know much about the ancient Mongolian Empire;" I think that education has tried to shed being "Euro-centric." I think this is unfortunate since the majority heritage is European. That is why, in my opinion, much relevant history has just been dropped.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Whatever you do, don't give out a blank map of the United States, and ask anyone, of any educational background, to fill in the names of the states. I've seen PhDs and medical students with barely a clue about the identities of many of the midwestern/western states..
I was once on a music sharing service called Winmx. I was chatting with someone from Thunder Bay, Ontario, and I told him I was American. He was amazed when I could give him the Canadian capitals from West to East. I told him I was just typing out random letters. He said "you got them, and even in order" and questioned if I was really American.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:24 PM

As far as historical facts that people don't know, many, even from the New York area, don't know that New York City was the first capital of the U.S. Few know that 1787 was the year that the Constitution was drafted. Even fewer know that John Adams was the second President of the U.S.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
The bigger problem is that people know / were taught the wrong facts. Some were already discussed here.

- Columbus did not discover America. Vikings first came here about 480 years before him.

- the American revolution was not about "getting rid of tyranny". The British rule was hardly tyrannical, by the standards of the time, and the taxes that Colonists had to pay were actually less than the taxes the Brits themselves paid to protect the colonies from the French. It was a political power grab, pure and simple, and the Founding Fathers did really become traitors by allying themselves with France - the country that England was at war with at the time. It's like Texas revolting and aligning with Iraq in 2003.

- The American Civil War was about slavery... for the South. For North, it was about protecting the Union with North as the dominant force, and forcing South into submission once and for all. For Union, ending the slavery was a tool, not the goal. Even though many Northerners individually opposed slavery on moral grounds.

- The American contribution to WW1 was rather modest, and WW2 was primarily won by the Soviets and British (with more significant American help)

- Kennedy was a pretty lame president who achieved little and nearly got us all killed.

Anyone cares to add to this ?

Old 07-13-2015, 05:39 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There are many aspects of learning beyond simple rote memorization of factual information. I'm not going to be as blown by somebody who has an impressive ability to commit lists of capital cities to memory, for instance, as I am someone who can explain to me cultural norms in a given region, the historical background leading up to the settling of an area and how that did or didn't affect local culture throughout history, foods, music, other culture, what languages are spoken, what customs are prevalent and why, what the political landscape has looked like over time, historical relationships with other entities, prominent figures from an area, what they were known for and why, etc.

There's the level of rote recall of individual facts. Then there's truly learning and understanding and drawing connections.

The OP is talking about the people that don't know the very basics, the who, what, where, when.

Without those you cannot expect anyone to know or understand what you listed in your post. Since we are talking about the very first step I don't really understand the reason for your post, and there is one like it every time someone posts about the lack of basic knowledge.

We realize that knowing capitols isn't a big deal, but not knowing something as basic as that is!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:12 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The bigger problem is that people know / were taught the wrong facts. Some were already discussed here.

- Columbus did not discover America. Vikings first came here about 480 years before him...............

- The American contribution to WW1 was rather modest, and WW2 was primarily won by the Soviets and British (with more significant American help)..................
The first was not really known, for sure, until fairly recently. There were theories but they weren't accepted through the 1970s.

You can quibble over the word "discovered" so look at results instead. Which voyages/settlements changed the world and which did not?

No History curriculum I've seen has really ever overstated the US role in WW I. What is true is that the fresh US troops gave the French and English enough oomph to force Germany into the Armistice.

As to WW II in a US History class, why would a US History class emphasize the Soviet contribution? England is treated a bit differently because of the Battle of Britain.

And again, had it not been for the US, England could not have mounted a successful cross Channel invasion. Lend-Lease put the Red Army on motorized transport.

As I stated upthread, you can bet your butt that Russian History classes rarely mention the US when dealing with WW II.

Which was a problem during the war, the Party line was that all the supplies were coming from the US Communist Party. It caused somewhat of a diplomatic row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education