Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:40 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times

Advertisements

Article about a local school district that highlights some of the political and economic undertones to the charter school movement. When I was more naive, I thought things like this were unintended consequences.

Is this any way to run a school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 AM

185 posts, read 196,331 times
Ummm WOW.. this is crazy..

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Charter schools in Pennsylvania are vary widely in their academics and how well they are run. The stupidest thing is that there is zero control financially from the very school districts that fund them. It's not uncommon for them to enroll a child and then claim they have special needs - and get another several thousand dollars.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Wow. Why are charter schools so popular in poor urban areas? So popular that tuition payments from the district to the charters are higher than what the district receives in aid from the state!?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It's not uncommon for them to enroll a child and then claim they have special needs - and get another several thousand dollars.
More unintended consequences. What public school administrator wants to be vilified in the local paper as being so evil as to deny funds to a special needs child "just because he/she is enrolled in charter school"?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Article about a local school district that highlights some of the political and economic undertones to the charter school movement. When I was more naive, I thought things like this were unintended consequences.

Is this any way to run a school district?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow. Why are charter schools so popular in poor urban areas? So popular that tuition payments from the district to the charters are higher than what the district receives in aid from the state!?
This has to do with politics and the politicians wanting to destroy public schools and educational opportunity for kids.

https://www.psba.org/2015/08/judge-r...hool-district/

Quote:
The state argued Monday the district overpays charters for special needs students — a claim neither charter schools nor Court of Common Pleas President Judge Chad F. Kenney disputed in the 13-page ruling released Tuesday.
Note they pay $40,000 per special ed student to the charters and only $16,000 to the public schools, but the special education students who attend the charters are those with less needs mostly kids with only speech and language - not autistic or behaviorally disordered students that the public schools must accept. This is the second time that teachers in the Chester-Upland district have agreed to work without pay in order for the district to remain open. How is that fair?

Old 09-01-2015, 11:26 AM

174 posts, read 124,497 times
Disgusting. And teachers will still be vilified even though they are working for free.

I know this is likely not going to happen, but I would really love to see charter operators and other "reformers" in jail one day.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow. Why are charter schools so popular in poor urban areas?
They're popular in my local poor urban area because the public district lost accreditation.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
Disgusting. And teachers will still be vilified even though they are working for free..................

And, if a teacher dares to speak out about this problem, s/he will also be vilified for "just trying to protect that cushy, high paying, gold plated pension, 3 months off in the summer, union protected" job.

I'm glad I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education