Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 08:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I always hated using chalk - makes a squeaking noise, dust gets everywhere, the chalk pieces run out. Marker boards were getting big in the 70s thank God. Although, sometimes the markers made a squeaking noise.

Are there people in the world who actually liked the chalk more than the markers??

One thing cool about chalk - restaurants or pubs write their items with colored chalk. There's also hopscotch.
I have a chalk board in one room and a white board in the other. I like the chalk board. A pack of chalk costs $1 and lasts six months. A pack of white board markers costs $15 and lasts two months. If the school bought my markers I'd like the white board better but they don't. I spend about $75/year on white board markers and $2 on chalk. I'll take the chalk board even though I hate the sound and the dust.

ETA: With Christmas coming up....one of the most thoughtful gifts I've been given by a student was a pack of printer paper wrapped in plain white paper that the student had decorated tied up with a bow that held two white board markers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 07:06 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
When I was in graduate school (just a few years ago), the building where I taught still had chalk boards. I hated it. Got all over my hands, so I couldn't touch anything. The computer in that room was covered in chalk dust.
Same here! I now request rooms with only whiteboards. Chalk is disgusting.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I can't believe they haven't invented digital chalkboards yet - that can be marked up with an inkless marker and wiped clean with a press of a button. I would have thought someone would have thought this up by now...
It's called a smartboard...every classroom has one at my school and we have a few mobile smartboards as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U05WeXPGlk

Old 10-25-2015, 12:34 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
It's called a smartboard...every classroom has one at my school and we have a few mobile smartboards as well.

I was going to post the same thing the other day. We've had them for years, but just this summer did they mount all of the projectors to the ceiling.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I was going to post the same thing the other day. We've had them for years, but just this summer did they mount all of the projectors to the ceiling.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:20 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do smartboards actually work? My college put them in a lot of rooms a while back, but they always seemed to be broken. They recently tore them all out.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Do smartboards actually work? My college put them in a lot of rooms a while back, but they always seemed to be broken. They recently tore them all out.
I don't know of any problems getting them to work. My wife's school has them and we've both been happy with how they have worked.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
I don't know of any problems getting them to work. My wife's school has them and we've both been happy with how they have worked.
I have one. I often revert to using the chalk board though because I can put more information on the board than I can on the white board. If they doubled the width of mine I'd use it more. I always seem to run out of room when setting up problems and I know students can't follow what I do if everything isn't in the right order. For example if I have one long expression set equal to another long expression I can't write across the board. I have to write them above and below the equal sign but this confuses some kids. However, if I slide my white board out of the way I can write them side by side on the chalk board.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:46 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:

Thanks for putting that up - it's good to know they have these now.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:54 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Jealous! Our principal will not use funds (PTA or otherwise) to mount ours to the ceiling. They have done it for the younger grades for "safety" issues but not in 3-5 classrooms. It would be great to get the projector out from the middle of the room and free up some floor space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education