Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

^^I'm not a home schooler, so I can't answer your questions. I do think HS kids being introduced to something like chemistry for the first time need a little guidance from someone who knows the subject. Ditto with the higher math courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 09:02 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Agreed. We use outside teachers for science, math and foreign languages at the high school level. I'm not able to teach that stuff myself, though I can help. We use a curriculum for history and I'm very comfortable supplementing that. I make my own curriculum for English (which means that I am mostly pulling ideas from different sources, not coming up with them all on my own). I think most homeschooling parents know what they're comfortable teaching on their own, what they need a boxed curriculum for, and what they need to outsource. There will be exceptions, of course.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
^^ You have a Master's degree and you can't handle helping your kid with 8th grade work? Okay then. LOL I do not have a Master's degree, and I have no problem helping with public school algebra. (My son is taking math through the public school system.)

I do refuse to associate with people who don't drink my brand of coffee, though, so there is that.

I am glad we at least agree on coffee. Although I have a mixed marriage. I like Dunkin Donuts she likes Starbucks. And God forbid my older Daughter likes 7/11 coffee. But we all agree Tim Hortons and Crispie Cream coffee sucks thank God for that.

In regards to math. OK lets say I took the Algebra final in ninth grade when I was 14 and got an 84 on it.

That means after an entire year of study I only knew 84% of the answers and if you asked me for advice I would be wrong 16% of time. Now 20-40 years later for the average parent of a ninth grader you expect them to know 100%.

I went to back to school night at the High School recently and honestly it is far more advanced when I went to HS. Heck we did not have computers, just pens and paper, text books during recession was always old. Pretty much I think John F Kennedy was still President in my text books as the Vietnam war was still on. Today with IPADs my kids cover history news in real time. They are discussing Trump vs Clinton. In my day the text book would be 20 years old and Bill Clinton or Ronald Regan would still be president

Old 11-23-2015, 05:24 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
I personally believe it's up to the parents but up to me I would say no because, in my opinion, it is a waste of time.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Homeschooling - should we encourage it? Yes, of course, do what is best for each student (ps... you will never get this 100% correct)

We homeschooled due to living internationally and absolutely crummy schools (for my mere $14,400 annual property taxes (59% to our failed schools)

DO NOT OFFER financial incentives (especially my tax money!!!). There is nothing academic, results based or scientific about the current school funding of $3000 to $12000/ yr. (hint: a business could not survive doing this, only NEA (teacher) lobbyists and Gov)

I kinda like that my kids were able to go to college for FREE (fulltime) instead of High School. (passed an entrance exam ... available in HI and WA). Public schooled kids can do the same. (if they can pass).

Especially like that my kids were able to travel fulltime for 8 yrs and appreciate the needs of other cultures. They designed (on computer), & built their own homes from scratch while age 12 - 15permitted through federal government (we live in a National Park area),. They made $70k each for college money, but used ZERO on college (loans were cheaper use of funds). Many of our home-school friends are public school teachers by day. As is the case with my extended family and siblings and spouse. (4th generation teachers... all currently home schooling).

It is not for everyone / every student. Do what is best, for you and yours.

Be wise

DO NOT USE MY TAX money!!! the failed public school system is criminal enough for what they are doing to our economy / academic and intellectual resources. (Colleges are no better... I just finished a grad program (during retirement). The college academics and student preparedness was pathetic.

Scary bad!

Be prepared, these are your future leaders!

Old 11-24-2015, 01:12 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I kinda like that my kids were able to go to college for FREE (fulltime) instead of High School. (passed an entrance exam ... available in HI and WA). Public schooled kids can do the same. (if they can pass).

DO NOT USE MY TAX money!

So you don't want to use your tax money, but you were perfectly happy for your kids to use others tax money to go to college free? Yep pretty frightening.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:02 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I think he (she?) might have meant incentives for homeschooling? Not really sure. In Florida, any student can go to college for free while still in high school. Taxes pay for it, of course, but it's not only for homeschoolers; it's for anyone.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
So you don't want to use your tax money, but you were perfectly happy for your kids to use others tax money to go to college free? Yep pretty frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think he (she?) might have meant incentives for homeschooling? Not really sure. In Florida, any student can go to college for free while still in high school. Taxes pay for it, of course, but it's not only for homeschoolers; it's for anyone.
Yes, of course, (as per the subject) NO Taxpayer funded financial incentives for home (or public) schooling.

I would suggest my 40 yrs of property taxes (<$100k )
Adequately funded my kids 'free' college.. (and yours too)

As a family we have over 4000 hrs FREE public school volunteering. (without using a DIME / minute of Public schooling benefit)

Probably paid my dues...

And YOU?

"you are welcome" (likely an 'entitled' PST (they are like a fly infestation around here) )
Get on with the show

Old 11-25-2015, 06:14 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
DO NOT USE MY TAX money!!! the failed public school system is criminal enough for what they are doing to our economy / academic and intellectual resources.
I'm glad you know everything. But I do wonder how successful you would have been educating a kid on your own with some of the serious needs and issues that walk through public school doors every day. And I wonder if you could have done it on whatever shoestring budget you think is reasonable. And just for the heck of it, let's throw another 25 kids with similar issues into the same room.

Educate yourself before you criticize. I realize that you have an agenda, but you sound foolish.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Homeschooling - should we encourage it? Yes, of course, do what is best for each student (ps... you will never get this 100% correct)

We homeschooled due to living internationally and absolutely crummy schools (for my mere $14,400 annual property taxes (59% to our failed schools)

DO NOT OFFER financial incentives (especially my tax money!!!). There is nothing academic, results based or scientific about the current school funding of $3000 to $12000/ yr. (hint: a business could not survive doing this, only NEA (teacher) lobbyists and Gov)

Especially like that my kids were able to travel fulltime for 8 yrs and appreciate the needs of other cultures. They designed (on computer), & built their own homes from scratch while age 12 - 15permitted through federal government (we live in a National Park area),. They made $70k each for college money, but used ZERO on college (loans were cheaper use of funds). Many of our home-school friends are public school teachers by day. As is the case with my extended family and siblings and spouse. (4th generation teachers... all currently home schooling).

It is not for everyone / every student. Do what is best, for you and yours.

Be wise

DO NOT USE MY TAX money!!! the failed public school system is criminal enough for what they are doing to our economy / academic and intellectual resources. (Colleges are no better... I just finished a grad program (during retirement). The college academics and student preparedness was pathetic.

Scary bad!

Be prepared, these are your future leaders!

I'm going to agree about not using my tax money for what individual families choose to do. We should not be paying for homeschooling or private schooling. Public schooling is horse of a different color because it is managed publically and available to everyone and I would include college if we ever get there. I agree on doing what is best for the student and that we'll never get it 100% right. Kids don't come with instruction manuals. All we can do is the best we can with the information we have available. If parents want to homeschool or send their kids to private school that is their right but it's also their bill. We have an education available to them that is free but they are choosing not to use it for their own personal reasons and no one owes them having that paid for.

Public education isn't about individuals. It's about having a reasonably educated public. If you don't want to use it then don't but you don't get your choice paid for just because you choose to not use it. I would think that home schoolers' would not want tax dollars paying for home schooling because once that happens they have to answer to the public for what they do. I've known a few dozen homeschoolers over the years and almost always the reason they home school is about control as much as it is about anything else. It's not like the parents are better qualified to teach their kids. Most of the time they have zero qualifications to teach but they want to control what their children are exposed to. If home schooling becomes paid for by the pubic they will have to answer to that public.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-26-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education