Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 12:59 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,629,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Some years ago, I taught in a public school. I had attended public schools all of my life. It was a HS and most of the kids were at or below grade level in math and reading. This was in NYC so once you are done with elementary and middle school, you do not attend neighborhood schools.

I really worked hard for my students, so much so that the first year I was teaching I had the highest passing rate in the department for the statewide examination. But it was a struggle, especially when dealing with the parents. It was an awful environment, even though I had a lot of good kids.

If I had a kid, would I ever in a million years allow them to attend that school? Absolutely not. Too many gangs. Too many fights. Too many weapons. Too much drug use. Too many kids absent every single day. No real sports teams. Not a single AP class. Barely any clubs or activities. There are plenty of great public schools but this was not one of them. There are plenty of public schools that I would be more than comfortable with a child attending but that one? No.

That absolutely does not mean I didn't pour my heart into that job. I wanted the best for my kids and I wanted them to do well---and they did.
What's frustrating for me is that people assume my son's school is like the one you taught in. It is not. So when I see someone who works in that system send their kids to private schools, it contribute to the incorrect stigma.

BTW, fights happen in every school as does drug use. It is not difficult to not be involved in either one. In CT, the suburban high schools (especially more rural ones) are having a far bigger problem with heroine than inner city schools.

Like your user name btw...I'm ready to move back to a city/large town. This area has been good to use boy am I hating driving twenty minutes to get to a grocery store. Sorry to get off topic.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:00 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,764,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
This is pretty laughable. The things people will say to justify badmouthing inner city schools. My adopted child wanted to stay there and my hubby and I were perfectly fine with it. There are no plans to move him - he's graduating in June and he likes it there. He's going to captain of his basketball team and he's in all accelerated honors and AP classes. I'm not sure if you are that thick headed or just a stuck up person. But I will actually miss this school when he has graduated and if we knew the outcome of our situation way back when, we'd have moved to the district he is in. I'm pretty offended by your assumption that my adopted kid isn't as good as my biological kid. That's pretty scummy of you. My beef with the principal is she is contributing to the incorrect notion that the school is BAD so that people like you feel justified looking down your nose. If you're not a snob, I'm somewhat sorry. Otherwise, you should probably read more or at least read more analytically.

As for the school you think is dangerous: Come spend a day there. You might like it.
I didn't say I believed your adopted kid isn't as good as your biological kid. I don't believe that. I said that you are acting like YOU believe it. You are acting like you feel guilty.

I'm not the one badmouthing inner city schools. You are. By coming here and continuing to talk about this principal who thinks inner city schools are so bad that she sends her kids to private and it pisses you off.

In fact, no one here BUT you is badmouthing inner city schools. Everyone (and I mean everyone) else on this thread has insisted to you that the likely reason the principal is sending her kid to private school is for a different reason, like religion. YOU are the only person insisting it's because the principal thinks the school is "bad" because it's an inner city school. YOU are the only person who believes that. That's why you feel guilty.

You are hung up on this, big time. Obsessed with it. Otherwise, why on earth are you still here talking about it and fighting about it?

The only reason I can think of that for you being obsessed with something so petty, is because you must unconsciously agree with it and are harboring guilt. If that's NOT the case, and you are NOT harboring unconscious guilt, then please realize that you are displaying an unhealthy obsession about something trivial. NO ONE BUT YOU cares where the principal's kids are going to school. NO ONE BUT YOU thinks it's an indictment on inner city schools. NO ONE BUT YOU thinks that it's "contributing to a notion that the school is bad".

You continue to come back to this thread time and time again to argue your case on this. Seriously, if you cannot let this go, something is wrong. When I start obsessing about things like this, I realize that my thinking is falling into unhealthy patterns, and I go seek help from a professional. They help me get my thoughts back on track. You really might want to consider getting help if you can't stop thinking about this woman.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Catholic schools teach grammar...and religion.
They do that grammar thing in public schools too.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I didn't say I believed your adopted kid isn't as good as your biological kid. I don't believe that. I said that you are acting like YOU believe it. You are acting like you feel guilty.

I'm not the one badmouthing inner city schools. You are. By coming here and continuing to talk about this principal who thinks inner city schools are so bad that she sends her kids to private and it pisses you off.

In fact, no one here BUT you is badmouthing inner city schools. Everyone (and I mean everyone) else on this thread has insisted to you that the likely reason the principal is sending her kid to private school is for a different reason, like religion. YOU are the only person insisting it's because the principal thinks the school is "bad" because it's an inner city school. YOU are the only person who believes that. That's why you feel guilty.

You are hung up on this, big time. Obsessed with it. Otherwise, why on earth are you still here talking about it and fighting about it?

The only reason I can think of that for you being obsessed with something so petty, is because you must unconsciously agree with it and are harboring guilt. If that's NOT the case, and you are NOT harboring unconscious guilt, then please realize that you are displaying an unhealthy obsession about something trivial. NO ONE BUT YOU cares where the principal's kids are going to school. NO ONE BUT YOU thinks it's an indictment on inner city schools. NO ONE BUT YOU thinks that it's "contributing to a notion that the school is bad".

You continue to come back to this thread time and time again to argue your case on this. Seriously, if you cannot let this go, something is wrong. When I start obsessing about things like this, I realize that my thinking is falling into unhealthy patterns, and I go seek help from a professional. They help me get my thoughts back on track. You really might want to consider getting help if you can't stop thinking about this woman.
Agreed. Plus you've gotten off on racial stuff several times, OP. You're essentially calling this woman a racist, which is a serious charge to level at a principal, or vice-principal, or whatever the heck she is. And certainly no one on this thread has even implied that's a reason they might not send their kid to an inner-city school, or any specific school.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,739,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
What's frustrating for me is that people assume my son's school is like the one you taught in. It is not. So when I see someone who works in that system send their kids to private schools, it contribute to the incorrect stigma.

BTW, fights happen in every school as does drug use. It is not difficult to not be involved in either one. In CT, the suburban high schools (especially more rural ones) are having a far bigger problem with heroine than inner city schools.

Like your user name btw...I'm ready to move back to a city/large town. This area has been good to use boy am I hating driving twenty minutes to get to a grocery store. Sorry to get off topic.
I went to school in Meriden, which (for those not in Connecticut) is a medium-sized city in the middle of the state. The school was fine 20-25 years ago. I have no idea how it is now... probably the same as the other schools in the area. (I moved to the Naugatuck Valley when I got married at age 20, and we've lived in Florida for 10 years.) If a kid has involved parents and is physically safe at school, he or she will probably do fine. Don't worry so much about what other people think.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I went to school in Meriden, which (for those not in Connecticut) is a medium-sized city in the middle of the state. The school was fine 20-25 years ago. I have no idea how it is now... probably the same as the other schools in the area. (I moved to the Naugatuck Valley when I got married at age 20, and we've lived in Florida for 10 years.) If a kid has involved parents and is physically safe at school, he or she will probably do fine. Don't worry so much about what other people think.
Meriden is similar to my kids school maybe not as beat up a reputation. Plenty of kids do very well there though. PMing you.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agreed. Plus you've gotten off on racial stuff several times, OP. You're essentially calling this woman a racist, which is a serious charge to level at a principal, or vice-principal, or whatever the heck she is. And certainly no one on this thread has even implied that's a reason they might not send their kid to an inner-city school, or any specific school.
I think I implied that she was more of a snob, possibly. The school she sends her kids to was known as the getaway for city residents who didn't want their kids around minorities in the past. While there are more minorities there now, I'm quite sure plenty of people there have underlying tones. FWIW, I'm white and my son is black.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post

You can think what you want and I can tell you obsession is not the case. It's simply something I don't like. Perhaps if you had family in education or just sent your kid to a school ignorant people look down on and constantly heard how they do a bad job and the private schools were so much better, you'd understand why I defend public schools. But you don't because it's not something you are used to. Normally, I let this stuff run off my back and feel sorry for the people that need to slam my kids school. It's said they don't have enough faith in their parenting, that they think a catholic school will save them from everything. But when one works in a public school and knows it's not the concrete jungle people think it is avoids that school, something is very weird in my opinion.

I'm sorry to keep coming back to a thread I started. People answer me, I answer back. That's called conversation/debate/etc. Nowhere did I put down city schools; I have defended them. If you can't see that, then your reading comprehension is not very good which makes me understand why you made an offensive suggestion regarding my kids. Nice try at the amateur psychology though.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:41 PM

41,998 posts, read 75,321,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
or just sent your kid to a school ignorant people look down on and constantly heard how they do a bad job and the private schools were so much better
By Jove, I think we've got it. Here is the reason the OP sees insult in every dissenting sentence.

Of course, still no insight on why one teacher preferring that her children have a religious education is an affront to the public school students, parents, and supporters.

AMSS - or whoever you are today - if all these "people" are so ignorant, why do you care what they think of your choice for your children's education?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
By Jove, I think we've got it. Here is the reason the OP sees insult in every dissenting sentence.

Of course, still no insight on why one teacher preferring that her children have a religious education is an affront to the public school students, parents, and supporters.

AMSS - or whoever you are today - if all these "people" are so ignorant, why do you care what they think of your choice for your children's education?
I think I answered that. Usually people who have no insight whatsoever cry there's no insight. I really can't help you if you are a surface thinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education