Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 02:03 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,724,459 times

Advertisements

I'm glad your son is graduating in the summer so you can stop fretting about this. Now onto university professors whose kids go to different colleges or kids who go directly into the workforce but don't work at the same companies their parents do!

Old 11-18-2015, 02:03 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times
Parents have a variety of reasons in different orders. Disclosure: I attended two Catholic schools 7-8; 9-12 (both run by the same order). My mother was a public school teacher (mathematics, high school) in an upper middle/upper class district.

1)My mother was a believing but semi-practising Catholic. That was a factor (later a regret).

2)Her two brothers are alumni. (We had teachers in common)

3)She disdained the NY math curriculum. Our schools were exempted from the NY Regents examinations, and they taught mathematics in the classical fashion: Algebra, Geometry, Trig/Algebra II, Intro to Calculus.

4)She was eager to break from our decidedly low-middle brow district. "I don't want my kids spending the rest of their lives at the Tulip Ave bars!"

4a) Despite my grievances with my Catholic school, it's difficult to argue with the difference in outcomes, measured by college admissions. My HS more or less got you where you wanted to go. The public school - not so much. Now in our mid-20s, my class has largely ended up in professional roles: law, banking/finance, a few entrepreneurs, consultants in DC, nursing, and a few pursing an MD or PhD.

It wasn't until I went to college that I interacted with those who went to the elite day & boarding schools. That's another echelon....

If I were to have a child (unlikely, gay), I'd go the secular, private route.

I also detect a tinge of resentment/tall poppy syndrome in this thread.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:05 PM

174 posts, read 124,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm glad your son is graduating in the summer so you can stop fretting about this. Now onto university professors whose kids go to different colleges or kids who go directly into the workforce but don't work at the same companies their parents do!
You're still missing the point - is anyone trashing you for what you do? Is anyone saying your kid is too dangerous to be around? I realize that a gang up is going on with mostly two way out of line posters suggesting that I'm mistreating my son, but you seemed way too mature to get involved with that crap.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Parents have a variety of reasons in different orders. Disclosure: I attended two Catholic schools 7-8; 9-12 (both run by the same order). My mother was a public school teacher (mathematics, high school) in an upper middle/upper class district.

1)My mother was a believing but semi-practising Catholic. That was a factor (later a regret).

2)Her two brothers are alumni. (We had teachers in common)

3)She disdained the NY math curriculum. Our schools were exempted from the NY Regents examinations, and they taught mathematics in the classical fashion: Algebra, Geometry, Trig/Algebra II, Intro to Calculus.

4)She was eager to break from our decidedly low-middle brow district. "I don't want my kids spending the rest of their lives at the Tulip Ave bars!"

4a) Despite my grievances with my Catholic school, it's difficult to argue with the difference in outcomes, measured by college admissions. My HS more or less got you where you wanted to go. The public school - not so much. Now in our mid-20s, my class has largely ended up in professional roles: law, banking/finance, a few entrepreneurs, consultants in DC, nursing, and a few pursing an MD or PhD.

It wasn't until I went to college that I interacted with those who went to the elite day & boarding schools. That's another echelon....

If I were to have a child (unlikely, gay), I'd go the secular, private route.

I also detect a tinge of resentment/tall poppy syndrome in this thread.
Of course a private school will have more kids heading toward college because they don't have to admit those that don't have college in their future. BTW, I'm a nurse. I must not be that bad. If you want to assume I'm jealous, you are really not correct. Plenty of people I know have their kids in private schools. I just look at them differently if they work in public schools. It just doesn't seem right to me especially since many people trash public schools. Especially one like my oldest child's school.

I dealt with some people out of boarding and day school too as did DH. Some were fine, others were out of a movie. I'd rather hang with people of modest means coming out of public schools then them tbh.

Did you mean you were unlikely to have a child or unlikely to have a gay child?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
I don't think this is a one-size fits all shoe. It REALLY depends on the area in question. One teacher can't control an entire public school system, but by being an insider they know if its good or bad.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I don't think this is a one-size fits all shoe. It REALLY depends on the area in question. One teacher can't control an entire public school system, but by being an insider they know if its good or bad.
I guess it comes down to what one's definition of "good and bad" is. For some people even in this fairly liberal area, blacks and hispanic enrollment make a school "bad".

Last edited by Anchorhead1977; 11-18-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 03:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I don't know if they do. Many live outside the system and use public schools which is normal while some who live in the city have kids in different zones because of where they live. My youngest kids are in a suburban school with a handful of kids who go to the school their parents teach in. I do consider it a different situation, if you live in the city and/or don't send your kids to public schools. Yes, I've know public school teachers who sent their kids to private schools and I had little respect for them. I remember my own middle school science teacher who would brag about her kid in a private school while dissing public schools.

My child who is in that system is adopted through foster care. By the time we made him official and could put him in the suburban schools my other kids are in, he and hubby and I were great with him staying there. I've dealt with people in my own town looking at me like they are sorry that my poor child had to go to this school. I'd love to take them to the school so they could actually see it. Sure there are some kids who are rough, but it's not difficult to stay away from that. And honestly, my kid is extremely well adjusted and I think being in a city school is why.

Either way, I still don't like that his former teacher (now principal) of that school made the choice to segregate her kids from the ones she teaches. Around here, many private school parents have to slam public schools to justify their decisions and I believe this woman is sending the wrong message. She may not realize it, but she is.
POT meet KETTLE
The message that you are accusing her of is simply you personalizing her families choices as though it reflects what you are denying. You think your kid's school is inferior...Otherwise, why would you explain and rationalize having kept your adopted child there, and not placed him/her at the school you other children attend??

If you like the school, and your child is not lacking in any of his/her curriculum or activity needs...Who cares what others think. On the other hand, you having to defend your choice seems hypocritical, since you sated that your other children go elsewhere.

I think you are hung up on this teacher because of your own skewed world view, and your own prejudices. Truly it is a matter of personal choice, her choice and not yours to make. Stop being so judgmental and negative. Take care of your own family...you shouldn't have so much time to worry about another person, who obviously is not a personal friend....That's just called being nosy.
PS...I truly think it is wonderful when a child gets a good home and doesn't have to grow up in the system..God Bless you for that!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:11 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,724,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
You're still missing the point - is anyone trashing you for what you do? Is anyone saying your kid is too dangerous to be around? I realize that a gang up is going on with mostly two way out of line posters suggesting that I'm mistreating my son, but you seemed way too mature to get involved with that crap.
Who is saying that your kid is too dangerous to be around? What? The thread started out okay, kind of a weird thing to be concerned with, but not totally outside the realm of things that a nervous or mosey parent might worry about. Then it spiraled into this principal hating the kids she taught and thinking that minority's children are dangerous and not being a real catholic. Meanwhile, your kid is 17/18 years old and graduating in a handful of months anyway. Every poster here has said, "this is an unreasonable thing to concern yourself with," but it's something new with every post.

My point of poking fun at the situation is, what are you going to worry about once your kid is out of the school? If it's that offensive that a principal chose a religious education for her own kids, things are going to get a lot more offensive when your teen is in the real world. This is a total non-issue. If the worst thing about the school is that the principals kids aren't students there, then consider yourself very lucky!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
POT meet KETTLE
The message that you are accusing her of is simply you personalizing her families choices as though it reflects what you are denying. You think your kid's school is inferior...Otherwise, why would you explain and rationalize having kept your adopted child there, and not placed him/her at the school you other children attend??

If you like the school, and your child is not lacking in any of his/her curriculum or activity needs...Who cares what others think. On the other hand, you having to defend your choice seems hypocritical, since you sated that your other children go elsewhere.

I think you are hung up on this teacher because of your own skewed world view, and your own prejudices. Truly it is a matter of personal choice, her choice and not yours to make. Stop being so judgmental and negative. Take care of your own family...you shouldn't have so much time to worry about another person, who obviously is not a personal friend....That's just called being nosy.
PS...I truly think it is wonderful when a child gets a good home and doesn't have to grow up in the system..God Bless you for that!
Thank you. I absolutely adore him and will miss him so much when he leaves for school. And if I could (we don't live there; DS just got to because of the situation) put my others in his school system, I would -- maybe not one currently in high school because she's "established" there now. But the other two, I'd love to. And I really don't have time to worry about this person...it just makes me wonder because of her position. - she is the principal, not a teacher.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Who is saying that your kid is too dangerous to be around? What? The thread started out okay, kind of a weird thing to be concerned with, but not totally outside the realm of things that a nervous or mosey parent might worry about. Then it spiraled into this principal hating the kids she taught and thinking that minority's children are dangerous and not being a real catholic. Meanwhile, your kid is 17/18 years old and graduating in a handful of months anyway. Every poster here has said, "this is an unreasonable thing to concern yourself with," but it's something new with every post.

My point of poking fun at the situation is, what are you going to worry about once your kid is out of the school? If it's that offensive that a principal chose a religious education for her own kids, things are going to get a lot more offensive when your teen is in the real world. This is a total non-issue. If the worst thing about the school is that the principals kids aren't students there, then consider yourself very lucky!
I'm not a worrier, so don't ahem...worry about me. It may be unreasonable to think about this, but this is a school with a bad reputation depending on who you talk to. It always bothered me when people trash that or all city schools (meaning the kids too). When a parent at the suburban school asked about her son going to my son's school for a football game, she was voicing her concerns about his safety. What??? Normally, I laugh at people that afraid (the city school is actually in a quiet residential neighborhood), but it does bother me when people believe that crap. I just don't think it helps knock down prejudices when the principal sends her kids to a PRIVATE school...not another public school.

Perhaps you should read that one post where I derived why people assume my kid's school (that my kid is a part of) is dangerous. It also ticks me off when one said that I hold my son in lesser regard than my biological kids. That's pretty disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education