Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 03:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
You just said I'm doing a grave disservice to my kid. That's snobbish and wrong. If you can't see that, then you need to be more careful or you will insult far more people.
It is my opinion that it is a grave disservice to INTENTIONALLY put children in a failing school. That's my opinion. I am not going to change it because it makes you feel bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Everything you said right there is the problem since test scores evaluate (and I use that term lightly) every student as opposed to just the top.
No they don't.

PSAT, SAT and ACT are generally given to college bound students. Everyone does not take them. So how do the kids from your son's school do on those exams?

Edited to add:

The exams I listed above are used for college entrance (except PSAT which is a chance to practice college entrance exams). Comparing how college bound kids in your child's school do on this exam vs national and state averages tells you what you need to know. You may have total disdain for these exams but the colleges your child will apply to will be using them. Like it or not, these are the tests that matter.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:13 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No they don't.

PSAT, SAT and ACT are generally given to college bound students. Everyone does not take them. So how do the kids from your son's school do on those exams?

Depends on the school system. Here in Maryland many of the systems require all Sophomores to take the PSAT and Juniors the SAT (including self-contained SPED in my former system. You haven't lived until you've given the test to those kids).

Old 02-29-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Depends on the school system. Here in Maryland many of the systems require all Juniors to take them (including self-contained SPED in my former system. You haven't lived until you've given the test to those kids).
What a tremendous waste of time.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:16 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,409 times
Quote:
Depends on the school system. Here in Maryland many of the systems require all Sophomores to take the PSAT and Juniors the SAT (including self-contained SPED in my former system. You haven't lived until you've given the test to those kids).
Oh good grief, why would they do that? Does it do anything for them except for make them feel bad?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What a tremendous waste of time.

Yeah. If you go back I had to edit because I'd forgotten the grades where they were taken. I've been out for a year and a half.

We also made all AP kids take the test no matter what the class grade was. Then those scores were used for teacher evaluations.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:20 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,409 times
Quote:
Yeah. If you go back I had to edit because I'd forgotten the grades where they were taken. I've been out for a year and a half.

We also made all AP kids take the test no matter what the class grade was. Then those scores were used for teacher evaluations.

The AP thing is okay.

But making a severely learning disabled adolescent take a PSAT/SAT? That's cruel. They know their peers can do it and they can't. That's just horrific.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Oh good grief, why would they do that? Does it do anything for them except for make them feel bad?

Well, a lot of them cry. I always got to proctor the SPED kids because, for some reason, it was thought that I was able to deal with them ( as a non-SPED teacher). I guess because a couple of my classes were always used for limited mainstreaming because I was able to get those kids to pass the class. The classes were Psych and Social Issues so it was pretty easy to get the SPED kids through them. Not with As, but with good enough grades so they felt good about taking a "regular" class.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:

My kids school makes all AP kids take the test if they want to get AP weighting for the course on their transcript. If they don't take the exam the lose the extra weighting.

Does your school allow anyone to take an AP course or are there strict requirements?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The AP thing is okay.

But making a severely learning disabled adolescent take a PSAT/SAT? That's cruel. They know their peers can do it and they can't. That's just horrific.

When Bill Gates pays for the tests you do what you're told.

I could never figure out why we did it. Some of it was historic and some political. When you're the 2nd worst school system in the State you tend be under a microscope and put a happy face on giving all students "access".

If truth were told I really wasn't ready to retire when I did. But between that and getting a "punishment" schedule two years running, among some other reasons concerning my refusal to cover up a major incident where another teacher was severely injured, I'd had my full level of bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education