Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 14,066 times

Advertisements

So I'll be moving to Brownsville, TX and I've searched a bit about the universities and job opportunities. From what I've read, there aren't many job opportunities unless it's medical-related. Even the universities I've checked prioritize medicine.

I have 2 more years before I graduate hs but I'm very worried. My course options are I.T and Visual Arts. I saw a course outline for visual arts and I can see myself already going to those classes. However, I don't think I would be able to pay back my parents or even buy myself food if I take on that career esp in Brownsville.

My other option, I.T course, is atleast computer related and from what I've researched on Brownsville's jobs, I could probably live which makes it the better choice. I can't find any course outline tho but I saw one for Computer Science (which is totally diff from I.T and I don't like cs). I think I'll suffer if I take this course.

Should I be practical and take I.T (or CS WHICH I REALLY HATE so tell me if there are univs that offer I.T course) or do what I love to do and take Visual Arts?

I'm really confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 PM

12,879 posts, read 9,101,024 times
If you're still in high school, then this shouldn't be an issue. You don't have to attend college in the same town where you finish school. Few people do. Figure out what you want to do, then search for colleges that provide that education. They may be in Texas or they may be out of state. Your school guidance office can help.

Or if you're thinking that you have to live and work after college in the town you finish school, nope. Again most people don't. People move around the country and around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education