Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times

Advertisements

...and show no improvement in reading" Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d7d_story.html

But it more than just a few years of stagnation.

"Scores on the 2015 reading test have dropped five points since 1992, the earliest year with comparable scores, and are unchanged in math during the past decade."

It is obvious we have long passed the point of diminishing returns in education. The next additional $ we spend on will not produce any better outcomes than the last $200 billion or whatever. That dollar could be better spent on road and bridges, on new cell phones, on ice cream.

Paying more for something that could be had for less never increases social welfare. It only reduces it. Although it might increase someones private welfare.

If we want to improve education, reduce taxes so people have to work less. Let them get on with their family lives, which we are always told when kids fail is more important than teaching inputs anyway.

We should recognize that preparing 60% or so of the kid for college is all that can be achieved no matter what we do. We've about run out of potions, spells and incantations. "College material" is just not what most kids are, never were, and never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 11:30 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Do those national assessments include private school test results? I wonder if the private schools are doing a better job at teaching math. I doubt it. There's a problem with how the US teaches math, and I don't know what it is, but throwing money at it isn't going to solve it.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
They'll do better when schools stop teaching how to enter numbers in a calculator and actually teach the fundamentals.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do those national assessments include private school test results? I wonder if the private schools are doing a better job at teaching math. I doubt it. There's a problem with how the US teaches math, and I don't know what it is, but throwing money at it isn't going to solve it.

I think it depends on where you throw the money. The problem with how the US teaches math is that *most* everyone who is good at teaching math does NOT teach math because they can make 3 times the money doing something else that requires someone to be good at math. If you start throwing money at the math teachers, then the good math teachers will start coming out of the woodwork and quitting their STEM jobs to go teach the kids. As it is, the only really good math teachers out there are the altruists or the folks with well-paid spouses.

Really good math education starts in Preschool and Kindergarten. That's where you lay your foundation for number sense. Do you know of any public preschool or public kindergarten teachers in the US who hold math degrees? Or who feel confident in algebra and beyond? Yeah, me neither. The closest you can get here is Montessori.

Last edited by pkbab5; 04-27-2016 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 AM

95 posts, read 94,707 times
Many US high school students cannot solve math problems from Asian primary schools.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It includes private schools. Once you reaching a certain point it make no difference how much more money you spend. Money might be allocated better among schools or within schools. Less social studies and more English, say. But even that is unlikely.

It would be better to take the last few billion dollars being spent on education and use them somewhere else. Sewers rebuilding, mosquito spraying, anti-missile defense. The best use would be to reduce taxes so people can get off the treadmill and get on with improving their lives. If anything will improve educational results it is this.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:58 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,372 times
Are we teaching our kids less math than other nations? Whenever a math problem went viral, it was likely beyond American kids ability to solve. Are we teaching shallow, less topics, or both?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I think it depends on where you throw the money. The problem with how the US teaches math is that *most* everyone who is good at teaching math does NOT teach math because they can make 3 times the money doing something else that requires someone to be good at math. If you start throwing money at the math teachers, then the good math teachers will start coming out of the woodwork and quitting their STEM jobs to go teach the kids. As it is, the only really good math teachers out there are the altruists or the folks with well-paid spouses.

Really good math education starts in Preschool and Kindergarten. That's where you lay your foundation for number sense. Do you know of any public preschool or public kindergarten teachers in the US who hold math degrees? Or who feel confident in algebra and beyond? Yeah, me neither. The closest you can get here is Montessori.
Pretty much agree with this, especially the second paragraph.

My kid didn't have a good math teacher until her Junior year in HS. I anticipated this problem and was prepared to augment her education.

Turned out she was naturally strong in this subject and didn't really need my help.

She was also able to recognize the talent, and lack thereof, found in her instructors.

"He loves math, and he's the first math teacher I've had who seems to actually know what he's doing".

Montessori was no better-at least not here.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It includes private schools.
I'm curious as to how they obtained results from private schools. This isn't stated on the NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) link. Most private schools don't release this information.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:03 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
They'll do better when schools stop teaching how to enter numbers in a calculator and actually teach the fundamentals.
No, they won't. Kids struggled with math back before calculators were invented. They couldn't get the fundamentals, beyond grade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education