Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Better question:

How to get parents to raise their own kids?

Quote:
Well, maybe a waste of time to discuss it with the village idiot.
So how do you suggest getting parents to raise their own kids? I'm interested in your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 02:52 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,200 times
Why don't you go talk to your school Principals or school Superintendents rather that endless whining here. They'll be happy to tell you why their priorities are the way the are. Can you say: "Federal Government?
"

Old 05-18-2016, 05:55 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
So how do you suggest getting parents to raise their own kids? I'm interested in your recommendations.
This is not a new idea.

Free Online Parenting Classes- Gain Information and SupportThe Center for Parenting Education

Positive Parenting

Parenting classes, either in person or (nowadays) online. Teach those who don't understand how to parents what's important in raising kids.

Instead of trying to pass off parental responsibility to the schools, let's make better parents.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Better question:

How to get parents to raise their own kids?

Quote:
The rest of society has no control over how parents raise their own kids so it is a waste of time and energy to discuss it.

It would be great if everyone were somehow capable of raising kids properly. As I said, it would be good if they could at least learn something elsewhere.. but I guess that is unrealistic. When I see another young person commit a crime for instance, I will say "If their parents had only taught them to be honest people..."

The thing is, there are seemingly TOO many who are not raised well.. socioeconomic issues, many just going ahead with bringing one into the world despite circumstances. Mental illness, dysfunctionalism.. (it is seemingly a hopeless situation, due to sexuality and beliefs, so it is not controllable). As another poster said, it does not mean that those from poorer homes are always the problem, of course. Mental problems affect anyone, so there are all types contributing to the negative side. I always think of how many overcrowded prisons exist.. so, far too many people obviously become derailed, no matter what might be learned at certain points. I wish it could be different.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
The question I see is this: What good does it do if Johnny can balance a check book when he can't adequately read? If we continue to burden education with things that ought to be taught at home, where does it end and what damage does it do to the quality of education along the way?

How we engage parents to actually do their jobs is another question, but continuing to expect teachers to do their jobs and the parents instead of focusing on their primary mission isn't working. I have no problem with schools having electives that fill these needs, but taking away instructional time on things like Math, English, History etc. to accomplish it is, IMO, folly.

I think it's great if kids want to learn how to sew or make a bird house, but I'd much rather we insure they are competent in reading and math first.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
It would be great if everyone were somehow capable of raising kids properly. As I said, it would be good if they could at least learn something elsewhere.. but I guess that is unrealistic. When I see another young person commit a crime for instance, I will say "If their parents had only taught them to be honest people..."

The thing is, there are seemingly TOO many who are not raised well.. socioeconomic issues, many just going ahead with bringing one into the world despite circumstances. Mental illness, dysfunctionalism.. (it is seemingly a hopeless situation, due to sexuality and beliefs, so it is not controllable). As another poster said, it does not mean that those from poorer homes are always the problem, of course. Mental problems affect anyone, so there are all types contributing to the negative side. I always think of how many overcrowded prisons exist.. so, far too many people obviously become derailed, no matter what might be learned at certain points. I wish it could be different.
I talked to my daughter this evening who teaches 5th grade in an inner city school in the South. Of her 28 students, two live with their natural mother and father. Several are homeless at least part of the time. She strongly suspects that a couple are being sexually abused at home. She feels that most of the students should have IEPs but they don't have the resources to have that many students in special education. She feels that several of the students have psychological issues that aren't being addressed. She contacts parents on a daily basis but many of the parents have drug and alcohol issues and she often has trouble reaching them or she doesn't get a reply.

Her comment to me is no matter how hard she works, she is not making a difference in these student's lives. She feels they need much more in the way of social services in the schools and even with that, it will take at least a couple generations to make a difference.

BTW, this school has had teachers go home on Friday and not come back on Monday with no explanation or resignation letter.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I think it's great if kids want to learn how to sew or make a bird house, but I'd much rather we insure they are competent in reading and math first.
The interesting thing is that you can actually embed the teaching of math skills and reading skills into the teaching of life skills and vice versa, since reading skills and math skills are necessary for in completing functional life skills tasks.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Just droppin' in to share this thought, because it seems so relevant to this thread:

A few days ago I went to an OLLI class (Osher Lifelong Learning Institutute) on local, regional, and greater water systems.

Sounds dull, but it was the most interesting class EVER!

And as I sat there among us older folks who participate in OLLI I though: They should really teach this in high school.

Everyone should know where their water comes from and the mechanics that enable us to have clean water. Everyone should know what clean water standards are. Everyone should know what the problem areas are, and how stable the local water availability is long term. This is something that affects the daily life of everyone.

This is the type of practical thing that high school students need to learn.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Just droppin' in to share this thought, because it seems so relevant to this thread:

A few days ago I went to an OLLI class (Osher Lifelong Learning Institutute) on local, regional, and greater water systems.

Sounds dull, but it was the most interesting class EVER!

And as I sat there among us older folks who participate in OLLI I though: They should really teach this in high school.

Everyone should know where their water comes from and the mechanics that enable us to have clean water. Everyone should know what clean water standards are. Everyone should know what the problem areas are, and how stable the local water availability is long term. This is something that affects the daily life of everyone.

This is the type of practical thing that high school students need to learn.
I was subbing for learning support the other day and sat through two periods of a biology review for the Pennsylvania Keystone exam. I do not remember much of what I learned in my high school biology class and this seemed to be more in-depth then what I had forty something years ago. It was an excellent class with a very good teacher and all the students engaged in memorizing facts from the entire year of instruction. I have to wonder if it is too much for many of the students. There seems to be a lot of science that could be taught that students would find more practical than memorizing the formula for photosynthesis.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
I talked to my daughter this evening who teaches 5th grade in an inner city school in the South. Of her 28 students, two live with their natural mother and father. Several are homeless at least part of the time. She strongly suspects that a couple are being sexually abused at home. She feels that most of the students should have IEPs but they don't have the resources to have that many students in special education. She feels that several of the students have psychological issues that aren't being addressed. She contacts parents on a daily basis but many of the parents have drug and alcohol issues and she often has trouble reaching them or she doesn't get a reply.

Her comment to me is no matter how hard she works, she is not making a difference in these student's lives. She feels they need much more in the way of social services in the schools and even with that, it will take at least a couple generations to make a difference.

BTW, this school has had teachers go home on Friday and not come back on Monday with no explanation or resignation letter.
This is what I was talking about. Thanks for sharing this, and from one who knows first-hand what goes on. Some will not even make it to teen years or adulthood without having real problems. All kinds continue to have kids no matter what their situation is and do not address their own issues. It doesn't matter what is being taught in school, if one is not functioning well, being unsupported and distracted by family members, their home lives (or lack thereof). It breaks my heart that this is the case.

It's surprising that some survive and develop, are capable of becoming educated, being employed, having relationships, but likely had proper homes and guidance. Yet it is evident that one can experience being affected by emotionally-flawed individuals in the workplace, as neighbors, etc.

I have heard how it has become very difficult for teachers these days, which is understandable. It must be so frustrating for your daughter and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education