Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times

Advertisements

I'd have no problem unless it was some neo-nazi tattoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
I made it through five pages before tldr set in, and I think the thread is getting a little heated for what is obviously an opinion question. I would like to post my opinion.

"Do you have any objection to elementary school teachers having visible tattoos?"

No, I do not.

I do have a tattoo. I would like to have more than one. As you stand next to me in line at the supermarket, you don't know I have one because it is "above the line". I chose to have it placed there because I knew that one day I would be a civilian again and that having a visible tattoo might hurt my employment prospects.

I'm all for self expression, but being inked is not a protected status in employment law, and I think that anyone who gets a tat without considering this is a bit self-absorbed. There are many blogs devoted to asking HR managers what their screen-out factors are, and "visible tattoos" is on some of those lists.
I agree, face tattoos, even wrist tattoos can be tacky but there are visible tattoos that are visible given the right circumstance. Are upper back tattoos (that can be visible given hair length and top style (especially with women) a problem. I also know a woman I work with at the school that has a tattoo on her upper arm, depending arm length on tops, that can be visible. I also have to wonder if these HR managers share these silly strawmen views that the anti-tattoo crowd has on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I know our schools have a policy of no tats , no piercings of any kind , neatly shaved , groomed and clean . They also state long sleeve shirts and ties for the male teachers and skirts and dresses below the knee for female teachers . I think teachers should be neat and clean and present that image .
I agree but tattoos and piercings don't mean they are dirty. The main time I agree with no piercings personally is special education due to the obvious pulling that can happen.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:19 AM

4,227 posts, read 6,903,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I think (though I know many will disagree with me, and yes, I do get why that is) that tattoos can often be a sign that someone isn't happy with the body they were given at birth - and that is a big issue in today's society (promoting breast augmentation and other plastic surgery is also along that line - there are now some 6 year olds requesting nose jobs primarily for aesthetic reasons for instance ... is that a good thing?).

But further, when a teacher (theoretically an authority figure) 'models' any behaviour or presents any personal image - good or bad - in front of impressionable young children it potentially has an effect on many of those kids whether they know it or not - and one may not even see what effect that is till many years later when the rebellious years begin. Parents may not even be aware exactly what kids are being 'taught' (by example, deliberately or inadvertently) in school so they cannot necessarily take steps at home to counteract any impressions their youngsters have picked up in the classroom.

With so much 'permissiveness' (and media modelling) in society today, parents already have kids clamouring for skimpy clothes, getting into drugs and alcohol at young ages, wanting age-inappropriate piercings, having inappropriate relationships online, etc. Would you as a parent want to add 'tattoos' to the list of things that a child wants to have done at age 7 because 'everyone else is doing it .. my teacher has tattoos .. Jenny's mommy let her do it ... wah, wah, wah, why can't I?' If you say no, oftentimes kids will then threaten you with 'telling CPS or calling 911' - why? because they can and have been told that anything they are refused is abuse. If this has never happened in your household, you are indeed fortunate if your kids attend public schools these days - it has been a problem for many, many years in some places/schools. Kids have NO idea of the consequences for the whole family when they are taught to use (and then regurgitate) this 'problem solving' methodology.

You (in a general sense) may, due to your personal experience, think I am exaggerating or overdramatizing things, or that they happen rarely so what's the big deal, but how do you know that? Why add to the number of things that both kids and parents may have to deal with all for the sake of covering up or being careful where one puts tattoos so that kids are not influenced in any way by that added stimulus?

My own daughter was being taught (without our knowledge - over 20 years ago in a country that is always said to be 10 years behind the US) that one should ALWAYS report it any time a parent even tries to say no or discipline them without any violence - and she once did it. What a mess that was! All over asking her to go to bed at an appropriate time for her age .. which she, like many kids, did NOT want to do that particular night so a few strong words were uttered (after all other standard bribery and coddling techniques were tried). We were found totally not guilty of any 'offense' other than being caring and responsible parents, but it left a very lasting impression and worry for us all - and she was immediately transferred out of that school system.

Thank goodness we didn't also have to deal with her demanding that we allow her to get a tattoo at age 8. It was bad enough that she demanded she be allowed to have her ears pierced but when we refused to allow that (till she was 16) we were 'lucky' in that she was quickly dissuaded when all her 'friends' ears became infected because they honestly were not ready to care for that kind of thing at that young age. The 'fad' passed quickly but she ultimately did have her ears pierced (at age 25). No problem then - it was an educated choice at that age. She was also ready and able to deal with any consequences that may have arisen.

Just because things exist and adults may do them doesn't mean children are ready in any way to do them too.

My opinion is all I have of course ... I have absolutely no influence over any of this, despite the fact that I am forced to pay taxes to support school systems and/or teachers who seem to think it is not only ok but even beneficial to model ALL adult activities in a grade 2 classroom for some reason that escapes me ... at the same time as they seem to neglect teaching the basic 3 r's or even good life skills like personal responsibility, financial management, good etiquette, etc.

My hope is that the standard still is that teachers are hired to be good role models and to teach reading, writing and arithmetic in the early grades - and as much as is practicable, other than reinforcing basic manners and social/life skills, that is all they should teach. But hope springs eternal, doesn't it?

Some parents may approve (or even have their own tattoos so their kids are used to seeing them) but I think it is best to go with the lowest common denominator in this case - that of NOT showing off tattoos or obvious piercings except for females who wear discrete pierced earrings, or wearing clothes that are too revealing, etc., even if one 'wears them' well and doesn't make a big deal out of them, if possible.

Yes, times are changing .. but they could also change back too. Go 'basic' and 'traditional', if for no other reason than you can't be sure of the eventual results of doing otherwise.
i agree with some but disagree with a lot. I don't understand why parents prefer to shelter kids. It just perpetuates stereotypes. I have tons and tons of friends with tattoos - many with lots. I can say very, very few of them (if any at all) have anything to do with not liking their given body. The tattoos I am getting have nothing to do with not liking my body. I don't understand the association at all. Do you view dying your hair, wearing makeup, wearing heels, piercings of any kind, etc. in the same light? If not, why not? Simply because they're not as permanent?

I guess to me, I'm going to live once. Keeping things basic and traditional to appeal to other people is boring to me. And kids shouldn't have to feel that they need to stay basic and traditional to 'fit in'.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Quote:
I guess to me, I'm going to live once. Keeping things basic and traditional to appeal to other people is boring to me. And kids shouldn't have to feel that they need to stay basic and traditional to 'fit in'.
Exactly.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,010 times
There is a teacher in my neighboring district. Played in a punk band years ago. Has tats on his arm. Is the most sought out teacher at the school. Gets kids playing and studying music and is never sitting down.

There are a few teachers in my district, well liked, with tats. One runs an after school care program (her husband runs that whiles she teaches). She has visible tats.

Headed into an interview? I would not have them visible. Once you demonstrate solid teaching, it's fine. I think the guy I spoke of above wore long sleeves for a while and then parents started telling him not to- it was too hot! They knew he had tats and did not care. This is in a very affluent area.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
i don't know about physicians, accountants, lawyers etc., but your question as to why anyone feels the need to have tattoos is one that I have often pondered.
It's easy for me to ask this, as I have always considered, (old soldiers excepted), that anyone who is tattooed is a tad short in the brain department, someone who is easily led and influenced, "X has a tattoo, I'll get one."
If I were to go into a shoe store, and a visibly tattooed assistant asked if I needed help, I'd say "no, I'm fine thanks", then wait for an unadorned assistant, reasoning that the unadorned one would be more on my wavelength, and we could discuss sizes, colours, alternatives etc. with an equal attitude.
It's the same at a social gathering, if I'm introduced to someone sporting a tattoo(s), I'll shake their hand, smile and say "how are you?"
I'd then avoid them like the plague, reasoning that we'd have little or nothing in common to talk about.
I'm no more nor less intelligent than anyone, and I have the common sense of a trash can lid, but tattoos are anathema to me.
Seeing them on a person, male or female, sets off an alarm that says, "Avoid, cross the street if possible."
I think this is where the above poster's problem lies.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Tattoos are always unprofessional. How many physicians, accountants, and lawyers have them? Would either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump have received their parties' nomination if they sported tattoos? How many successful people have tattoos? Why would anyone feel the need to have a tattoo?
A lot of it is generational. Very few professionals (or people period) over 50 with them, you are starting to see it more widespread at early 40s and below, especially the under 30 generation. So unless it becomes a lot easier to remove them, you will start to see them more and more, and as more of that generation become management, it will be more accepted whether you like them or not (I'm in my mid-late 40s and I'm not a big fan of them personally but probably wouldn't hold it against someone unless it was vulgar or racist or something). At the job I mention below most of the managers are under 35 and they often have one either on their leg or just below their neck.

I work in a tutoring center and they had a guy (who is an elementary school teacher by day) with tattoos all over his arms they required him to wear long sleeves to work. Don't know the deal with him at school though.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:48 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Tattoos are always unprofessional. How many physicians, accountants, and lawyers have them?
Quite a lot, actually. Nearly everyone I know has one, and they're mostly lawyers, doctors, teachers, scientists, etc.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 AM

52 posts, read 97,453 times
Tacky all the way around .

Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
re upper back tattoos (that can be visible given hair length and top style (especially with women) a problem.
Yet to have been for me (between my shoulder blades). And I have spent years in classrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education